How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

Old November 1st 14, 01:49 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Williams

Default How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

I went to a NY Times web URL on my iOS device, which said:
"In order to view this feature, you must download the latest
version of flash player here."

So, I go to Firefox, in Linux, and I can see the static flash content:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/y...s-gallery.html

Now I want to send that static flash content to my sister, who asked for
it, since she was the one who sent me the URL asking if I could see it.

So, I simply "print to PDF" on Linux, and, uh ... um... what do I get?
Nothing. I get the text, but many pages of, um... .blank space.

If I screenshot it, it's gonna be a half dozen screenshots that need to
be stitched together into one looooong JPG.

Is there a way to create a multi-page PDF or JPG of static flash content?
Old November 1st 14, 02:15 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

I can't see it because I don't have Flash, so I looked
at the code. Is it the simple diagram drawings you're
after? If so, they're listed here as JPGs:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...in_feature.xml

If you're doing screenshots then why can't you
just send a number of them? It's an interesting
question. I think one could create a multi-page
..doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One
could also create a simple HTML file to display
all the images and send that. Ideally it would be
in a folder, inside a ZIP file, but the recipient might
not know how to deal with that, and AV software
on the other end might block ZIPs. You could
certainly create one giant JPG in a graphics
editor and paste your screenshots onto it, but
that's not a very usable format for viewing.

Old November 1st 14, 06:53 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
William Unruh

On 2014-11-01, Mayayana wrote:
I can't see it because I don't have Flash, so I looked
at the code. Is it the simple diagram drawings you're
after? If so, they're listed here as JPGs:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...in_feature.xml

If you're doing screenshots then why can't you
just send a number of them? It's an interesting
question. I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

Old November 1st 14, 07:17 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-01, Mayayana wrote:
I can't see it because I don't have Flash, so I looked
at the code. Is it the simple diagram drawings you're
after? If so, they're listed here as JPGs:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...in_feature.xml

If

you're doing screenshots then why can't you
just send a number of them? It's an interesting
question. I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

I have several solutions, but nothing for the folks using Linux.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1002.jpg.pdf

Savageduck

Old November 2nd 14, 03:26 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Williams

Savageduck wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:17:51 -0700:

I have several solutions, but nothing for the folks using Linux.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1002.jpg.pdf

That's not anything like what the page looks like, but, at least
it contains the images, as separate images (which wasn't what was
wanted, but, could work in the end, but it's missing almost all
the images).

But what is strange is that *nobody* (least of all me), can simply
print that page to PDF and have it look like the web page.

Why is printing to PDF failing so miserably on all of us?
Old November 2nd 14, 03:43 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-02 03:26:32 +0000, Jonathan Williams said:

Savageduck wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:17:51 -0700:

I have several solutions, but nothing for the folks using Linux.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1002.jpg.pdf

That's not anything like what the page looks like, but, at least
it contains the images, as separate images (which wasn't what was
wanted, but, could work in the end, but it's missing almost all
the images).

But what is strange is that *nobody* (least of all me), can simply
print that page to PDF and have it look like the web page.

Why is printing to PDF failing so miserably on all of us?

Try this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Sketch%20Guy.pdf

Savageduck

Old November 2nd 14, 10:31 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Peter Flynn

Old November 2nd 14, 02:25 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
tlvp

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 18:53:00 +0000 (UTC), William Unruh commented:

I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

Or pdftk (use the "cat" option, to concatenate umpteen 1-page PDFs into one
umpteen-page one). HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
Old November 2nd 14, 02:49 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tlvp
wrote:

I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

Or pdftk (use the "cat" option, to concatenate umpteen 1-page PDFs into one
umpteen-page one). HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

talk about overcomplicating things.
Old November 2nd 14, 03:24 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Williams

nospam wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 22:49:22 -0400:

talk about overcomplicating things.

The simple answer would be two simple steps:
1. Point Firefox to
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/y...s-gallery.html

2. Press File Print and save as PDF.

But that, simple answer, fails, every time.

Nobody can print that page to PDF.

Why?