Film to digital conversion

Old May 22nd 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Esteban

Default Film to digital conversion

Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
would someone please provide a link to the site.
I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
get involved with film at this point in time.
Thanks,
Steve

Old May 22nd 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:44:54 -0500, Esteban wrote:

Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
would someone please provide a link to the site. I have 4 bodys and many
lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to get involved with
film at this point in time. Thanks,
Steve

search for something like 'digital back' - there used to be a few - quite
expensive, as I recall.
Old May 22nd 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Esteban
wrote:

Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
would someone please provide a link to the site.
I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
get involved with film at this point in time.

not really. kodak used to buy canon and nikon bodies and retrofit them
with their own digital backs, but they were quite expensive. it's much
cheaper and far more practical to just get a new digital slr. you
don't say what brand camera, but chances are you can continue to use
your existing lenses with whatever camera you buy.
Old May 23rd 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Esteban wrote:
Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
would someone please provide a link to the site.
I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
get involved with film at this point in time.

For medium format cameras (and large format) there are several digital
back vendors, but for the 35mm you're pretty much SOL.

What brand lenses? If they are AF Minolta, Pentax, Canon lenses then
you can use their digital bodies with those lenses.

If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
I'm not sure.

For just about all of the cameras above, early generation (5 - 8 Mpix)
should be available used for a very good price.

If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 23rd 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

kodak had a few nikon mount cameras too.

I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
I'm not sure.

pentax has one of the most compatible mounts. just about any pentax
lens will work on a pentax digital body, including screw mount lenses
(with an adapter).

If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

there's an adapter for olympus lenses to be used with a 4/3rds camera.
Old May 23rd 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

kodak had a few nikon mount cameras too.

I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
I'm not sure.

pentax has one of the most compatible mounts. just about any pentax
lens will work on a pentax digital body, including screw mount lenses
(with an adapter).

If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

there's an adapter for olympus lenses to be used with a 4/3rds camera.

Thanks for the necessary addendums and clarifications.
Old May 23rd 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Esteban

Thanks to all who responded.
The comments all made sense to me.
I'll be selling the Konica bodies and keeping the glass.
Steve

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I am sure it would cost more than it was worth and you would end up
with a poor camera. Save your money and buy one made from scratch.

news

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old May 23rd 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"Esteban" wrote:
Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital?

Film camera as in movie film or film camera as in plastic film coated
with chemicals?

If so, would someone please provide a link to the site.

In the very early days there were digital backs for high-end SLRs.
_Very_ expensive. They still exist and are standard for e.g. Hasselblad
or Mamiya or similar cameras.

I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
get involved with film at this point in time.

Unless those bodies are high-end Hasselblad, Mamiya, or similar your
best bet would be to get a digital body and just continue to use your
lenses if they are of decend quality. There have been quite a few
improvements over the past 10 years.

jue
Old May 23rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
, Don
Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

The only ones I know of never actually made it to market (at least the
35mm ones).

the only 35mm one i know of was silicon film (or one of its other
names). there were far too many technical issues that can't really be
solved for it to actually exist. it made for good headlines though.

To do it custom would cost far more than one can buy a
good DSLR for. It is a lot of work, lots of electronics not found in
the film cameras.

it's not just electronics that was the obstacle, but also physical
ones, such as putting a sensor in the space where film was without
interfering with the shutter.
Old May 23rd 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Esteban wrote:
Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital?

No, practically, speaking.

BugBear