Aperture calculation - one more time

Old August 13th 04, 05:34 PM
jjs

Default Aperture calculation - one more time

Okay, again, what's the formula for calculating maximum aperture?

Specifically, do I have to do a serial calculation - diameter of entrance
pupil(lens) then consider the smallest aperture in the system, and exit
aperture?

My lens has a 112mm diameter front lens, 30mm center (where the shutter
goes) and 106mm diameter rear lens.

Then how does one measure the T-stop?

Old August 13th 04, 08:56 PM
f/256

"jjs" wrote in message
Okay, again, what's the formula for calculating maximum aperture?

The formula is aperture in stops = F / D where F is the focal length of the
lens when focused at infinity and D is the diameter of the entrance pupil.
But you knew that, I am pretty sure.

Specifically, do I have to do a serial calculation - diameter of entrance
pupil(lens) then consider the smallest aperture in the system, and exit
aperture?

I don't think so.

My lens has a 112mm diameter front lens, 30mm center (where the shutter
goes) and 106mm diameter rear lens.

If 30mm is the maximum physical opening ("D") of the lens/shutter assembly,
a quick aproximation to the maximum apertue would be given by F / 30 stops.
To find the actual f/stop, you would have to measure the physical opening of
the lens/shutter as seen from the front of the lens (search this NG for ways
to measure that), in other words, the diameter you should use in the formula
is not the real physical opening but the virtual opening (physical opening
as seen thru the lens), after all, this is how big an opening the photons
rushing into the lens "see and think" they have in front. Once the photons
crosss the virtual opening and they realise the actual opening is in fact
smaller (for instance), it is too late for them, they have been tricked :-)

Then how does one measure the T-stop?

With a photometer.

Old August 13th 04, 10:03 PM
jjs

"f/256" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...

"jjs" wrote in message

[...]

:-)

Ignoring the 'virtual opening' because I haven't found what that means yet,
that makes my lens F 2.5. I'll try to find out what that virtual opening is
all about.

I just measured a 90mm F8 Super Angulon. Middle (shutter area) diameter is
14mm front glass is 46mm. By the (incomplete) metrics of F/D that's 6.4.
Wow. That unknown virtual opening is a huge factor.

Old August 13th 04, 11:03 PM
f/256

"jjs" wrote in message
"f/256" wrote in message

Ignoring the 'virtual opening' because I haven't found what that means

yet,
that makes my lens F 2.5. I'll try to find out what that virtual opening

is
all about.

The real opening is the actual physical size of the opening, when looking at
that opening thru the front side, the lens itself will have an effect on
the opening you see, that opening as seen thru the lens is what I am calling
"virtual opening", but it is actually called entrance pupil.

I just measured a 90mm F8 Super Angulon. Middle (shutter area) diameter is
14mm front glass is 46mm. By the (incomplete) metrics of F/D that's 6.4.
Wow. That unknown virtual opening is a huge factor.

I just did the same measurements on my 90mm Grandagon F/6.8, the glass is
about 13.5mm at the rear of the front element, that would make it F/6.67 or
so, not bad approximation if you ask me. The "virtual opening" or -better
call it- entrance pupil, would have to be would have to be 13.2mm in order
to match the F/6.8. I very very roughly measured it and I got 13mm (don't
have a point source of light handy at this time), which gives me F/6.9, not
bad either.

I believe Richard.K method to measure the entrance pupil goes something like
this: position a point source of light at the infinity focal plane of the
lens, place a piece of translucent paper on the front of the lens, you
should get a circle of light that is the image of the aperture, measure that
aperture and you have the diameter of the entrance pupil.

Guillermo