What is with B&H and holiday's?

Old April 17th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default What is with B&H and holiday's?

I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?
Isn't it possible to hire staff that isn't Jewish so that they can keep
business going? I just placed a significant order with them, and the ONLY
reason they got my business was past history and the fact that I wasn't able
to find what I was looking for elsewhere while they were closed. I find it
irritating how often I go to there site just to see that they are not
accepting orders due to the observance of some holiday or another, in this
case, passover. I would feel better about it if the holiday was widely
observed in some form by all religeons or non-religeons for that fact
(Christmas tends to be observered in some form by non-Christians ... meaning
that it is not simply a religeous holiday these days).

So ... in short, are there any comparable camera stores that remain open a
larger majority of the time? The only really comparable store I have found is
adorama ... and guess what ... they are closed too.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old April 17th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

(Thomas T. Veldhouse) wrote:

What is with these camera stores and shutting down
for religeous holiday's?

Yea, who needs a day off anyway! Who do these people think they are?

Andrew McP

Old April 17th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
[...]

Perhaps all stores should break with traditions just so you can shop.

Old April 17th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?

Open your own store, and you can decide what schedule you want to keep.
Sounds like selling camera equipment on Jewish holidays is a market niche
just waiting for some enterprising person to come along and take advantage
of.

I grew up in Northern NJ. Most of the stores were closed on Sundays (and
those that were open had certain sections roped off) because of (Christian)
blue laws. Which is better, having the store owner keeping what you
consider a weird schedule because of his own free will, or having the
government mandate what days you can be open because it fits their idea of
what's right?
Old April 17th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?

Open your own store, and you can decide what schedule you want to keep.
Sounds like selling camera equipment on Jewish holidays is a market niche
just waiting for some enterprising person to come along and take advantage
of.

I grew up in Northern NJ. Most of the stores were closed on Sundays (and
those that were open had certain sections roped off) because of (Christian)
blue laws. Which is better, having the store owner keeping what you
consider a weird schedule because of his own free will, or having the
government mandate what days you can be open because it fits their idea of
what's right?

The cases you describe are a day or two. I believe the current observance is
nine straight days in duration. I have no problem with observing the holday;
be my guest. However, I do have a problem with closing down business
[non-religeous] based upon religeous reasons, for such a duration of time.
Surely there is a way they can continue to do business without compromising
their faith? Still, my first paragraph in the post was a description of my
frustration with it, which there is nothing wrong with feeling. My second
paragraph specifically asked if there is an equivalent alternative (comparable
in price and selection) that I might visit. I haven't been able to find one.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old April 17th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

The cases you describe are a day or two. I believe the current
observance is nine straight days in duration. I have no problem with
observing the holday; be my guest. However, I do have a problem with
closing down business [non-religeous] based upon religeous reasons,
for such a duration of time. Surely there is a way they can continue
to do business without compromising their faith? Still, my first
paragraph in the post was a description of my frustration with it,
which there is nothing wrong with feeling. My second paragraph
specifically asked if there is an equivalent alternative (comparable
in price and selection) that I might visit. I haven't been able to
find one.

If they want to close for 9 days straight and lose the business they may
have gained, that is up to them. It is their business after all.
Providing they do not take orders for that duration and they complete all
orders prior to the 9 days off then thats okay.

Old April 17th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

[...]

There are a few out there who are open on Jewish holidays. Keep
searching. You might actually find one that is comparable in
reputation. Or not.

The business may be unrelated to religion, but the business owners'
religious observances prevent them doing business, and, I believe,
making money, during that period of time.

Somehow, the major NYC photo gear stores seem to keep on going even
though some impatient customers get annoyed. Read the past comments on
breadth of line, honest pricing and wonderful customer service to get
an idea why. Taking a few days off in one lump is not really much
different than factories shutting down for two weeks when all employees
must take their vacations. I don't know how B&H and Adorama and others
work their vacation and holiday time, whether or not this is enforced
vacation time, or simply a religious observance that the owner is
willing to pay for, but it doesn't really seem to harm their business
at all, and it shouldn't, IMO.

Old April 17th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic

in this case, passover. I would feel better about it if the holiday
was widely observed

It's funny how these two phrases don't go together at all.