"The cloud" strikes again.

Old August 21st 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default "The cloud" strikes again.

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...t-recoverable/

Is there a lost generation that's never heard of backups?
Old August 21st 20, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...t-recoverable/

Is there a lost generation that's never heard of backups?

You are right, the CLOUD COMPANY should have had backups.

Oh? I have a private "cloud" on the server for my company's site. It has
automatic backups and I STILL wouldn't be without an off-line backup of
my files. YMMV.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old August 21st 20, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 21, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...t-recoverable/

Is there a lost generation that's never heard of backups?

You are right, the CLOUD COMPANY should have had backups.

I guess you didn’t bother to read beyond the headline.

The actual issue was for users of the iPad & iPhone versions of mobile Lightroom who had NOT synced their image files to Adobe Creative Cloud storage. So Adobe Creative Cloud had backups if the dumb users had bothered to sync their files to CC. If they had done so their image files would have been recoverable.

Savageduck

Old August 21st 20, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Aug 21, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...-users-photos-
and-presets-adobe-says-they-are-not-recoverable/

Is there a lost generation that's never heard of backups?

You are right, the CLOUD COMPANY should have had backups.

I guess you didnąt bother to read beyond the headline.

he never does.

The actual issue was for users of the iPad & iPhone versions of mobile
Lightroom who had NOT synced their image files to Adobe Creative Cloud
storage. So Adobe Creative Cloud had backups if the dumb users had bothered
to sync their files to CC. If they had done so their image files would have been
recoverable.

they would also have been recoverable if they had their own backups.

since their photos were not important enough to be backed up, it
doesn't matter that they're gone.
Old August 22nd 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...t-recoverable/

Is there a lost generation that's never heard of backups?

You are right, the CLOUD COMPANY should have had backups.

No. My data is my data and I'm solely responsible for my data on my
devices. That's why ... I still have all of my data.

Old August 22nd 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Technical issues, bankruptcy, hacking. All put cloud storage in-doubt.
While triple redundancy sounds good, a lot of smaller companies opt for cloud
systems because they don't want ANY internal infrastructure/or I.T. costs.

the cloud is by far, the most reliable of any backup system, but should
never be the *only* backup method used.

smaller companies and certainly individuals do not have the resources
to come anywhere close to the level of redundancy and reliability cloud
services offer.
Old August 22nd 20, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-08-22 11:14, RichA wrote:
On Friday, 21 August 2020 18:51:08 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 21, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...t-recoverable/

Is there a lost generation that's never heard of backups?

You are right, the CLOUD COMPANY should have had backups.

I guess you didn’t bother to read beyond the headline.

The actual issue was for users of the iPad & iPhone versions of mobile Lightroom who had NOT synced their image files to Adobe Creative Cloud storage. So Adobe Creative Cloud had backups if the dumb users had bothered to sync their files to CC. If they had done so their image files would have been recoverable.

Savageduck

Technical issues, bankruptcy, hacking. All put cloud storage in-doubt. While triple redundancy sounds good, a lot of smaller companies opt for cloud systems because they don't want ANY internal infrastructure/or I.T. costs.

Unacceptable risk for any company. There's no problem with outsourcing
services, including backups, but relying on a 'cloud' solution alone
(whether for convenience or cost) is pretty dumb.

OTOH, I use cloud storage for a simple reason: convenience. All of my
active business (and much of my personal financial) data is available to
me wherever I am. But it's backed up separately and often.

Regarding Adobe, they are a software company who make utilities for
creatives. Storage is not their core expertise - it is a market access
vehicle.

No wonder they have problems.
Old August 22nd 20, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 22, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
[...]

However, Adobe isn’t having problems with Creative Cloud storage, that works just fine. The problem reported in this thread is isolated to mobile Lightroom users who had not synced their image files to Adobe CC. All files synced to Adobe CC remain intact, and recoverable.

This is not an issue with Lightroom Classic on desktop computers.

....and personally I maintain backups independent of what I have stored on Adobe CC (which I do not use as a full asset backup), Smugmug which is currently my preferred image sharing app. These days DropBox has for me, fallen into minimal use.

Savageduck

Old August 23rd 20, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
[...]

I'm frankly astonished that Adobe should release software with this
potential. I can't believe that this is deliberate. Instead it smacks
of inadequate testing. If they had tested it properly they would have
known that at the very least a warning should have been incorporated
in the update.

Old August 23rd 20, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
[...]

Really? Didn't they have a massive data breach last year?

The problem reported in this thread is isolated to mobile Lightroom users who had not synced their image files to Adobe CC. All files synced to Adobe CC remain intact, and recoverable.

Execution means - all - of the parts working.