Instagram ass----- don't like app with name similar to theirs

Old April 28th 16, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Instagram ass----- don't like app with name similar to theirs

On 2016-04-28 06:08:06 +0000, RichA said:

So, what, now we can demand any company name with a few letters in
common with yours to cease? The courts should deny this. I DEMAND
they change Instagram because it is too close to KILOGRAM!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-36148093

Now I suppose you will tell us you are driving a "Fraud Muckstand".

That said, it is the owner of the POS 'Instagram', the all intrusive
Facetime making the demands, and all three seem to have a common basis
in garbage.

Savageduck

Old April 28th 16, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2016-04-28 06:08:06 +0000, RichA said:

So, what, now we can demand any company name with a few letters in
common with yours to cease? The courts should deny this. I DEMAND
they change Instagram because it is too close to KILOGRAM!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-36148093

Now I suppose you will tell us you are driving a "Fraud Muckstand".

That said, it is the owner of the POS 'Instagram', the all intrusive
Facetime making the demands, and all three seem to have a common basis
in garbage.

Well taking ordinary words, like facebook or android and making
trademarks of them is a nuisance. Words taken from a dictionary or out
of common practice should not be protectable trademarks. They belong to
the people or general public that created and used them and thus made
them attractive to use as trademarks.

Andriod:Late Greek androeids manlike, from Greek andr- + -oeids -oid

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/android

Facebook: Collection of mug shoots fond at police stations and high
school yearbooks.

Common knowledge...
--
teleportation kills
Old April 28th 16, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tony Cooper wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 07:38:17 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 28 April 2016 15:11:03 UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:

On 2016-04-28 06:08:06 +0000, RichA said:

So, what, now we can demand any company name with a few letters in
common with yours to cease? The courts should deny this. I DEMAND
they change Instagram because it is too close to KILOGRAM!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-36148093

Now I suppose you will tell us you are driving a "Fraud Muckstand".

That said, it is the owner of the POS 'Instagram', the all intrusive
Facetime making the demands, and all three seem to have a common basis
in garbage.

Well taking ordinary words, like facebook or android and making
trademarks of them is a nuisance. Words taken from a dictionary or out
of common practice should not be protectable trademarks. They belong to
the people or general public that created and used them and thus made
them attractive to use as trademarks.

Trademarking a common word does not impair your use of that the word.
It does nothing more than stop you from using that word in a manner
that suggests that is representing whatever the item is that uses the
trademarked word.

You can use the word "Tide" in any way that you want except as a name
for a soap product that you make.

I do wonder how you see the word "facebook" as an ordinary word,
though. What was the use/meaning of "facebook" before there was
"FacebookŽ"?
--

Seems the word facebook already existed .

----------------------------------
2003–06: Thefacebook, Thiel investment and name change

Zuckerberg wrote a program called Facemash on October 28, 2003, while
attending Harvard University as a sophomore (second year student). According
to The Harvard Crimson, the site was comparable to Hot or Not and used
"photos compiled from the online facebooks of nine houses, placing two next
to each other at a time and asking users to choose the 'hotter'
person"[14][15][16]

And how are terms specific to Harvard University undergraduates
considered to be "ordinary words"?

It was used for mugshots of criminals and highschool yearbooks since
forever. I mentioned that in the post you quoted and snipped! Welcome
back... :-PPP
--
teleportation kills
Old April 28th 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2016-04-28 06:08:06 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

facebooks as a word must have been a word already in use that is the point.
Did you really miss that.

Whatever...
--
teleportation kills
Old April 28th 16, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tony Cooper wrote:

On 2016-04-28 06:08:06 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

I missed it because I've never seen a yearbook called a "facebook",
and I was a yearbook editor in high school.

But of course. I never wanted to imply that it was used everywhere but
that it was a term in use and thus not to be considered IP of any
specific party. Don't forget the "analog" mugshots used identify perps
in police stations. The term did reach teve!
--
teleportation kills
Old April 28th 16, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 28, 2016, android wrote
(in ):

In ,
Tony Cooper wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:23:55 +0200, wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 10:28:50 +0200, wrote:

In article201604272321307920-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom,

On 2016-04-28 06:08:06 +0000, said:

[...]

For 'photo line-ups’ we used what we called ‘six-packs’.

The idea of having a witness page through albums of mugshots are more of a
Hollywood/TV device. I have never heard of such albums refered to a
‘facebooks' though I am sure it might well have been a jargon usage in some
departments.

Savageduck

Old April 28th 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I don't see how you can say the trademarking of the word "Facebook" in
any limits you to using that word. You want to put up a website
containing photographs of your family and call it a facebook? Do it.

do that and plan on getting a takedown notice, once facebook finds out.

It's only when you infringe on the owners of the trademark's
proprietary interest that it's a problem. You can't, for example, put
up a website that replicates what Facebook does and call that
"Facebook".

obviously, and what you call the site doesn't matter.
Old April 28th 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

well that settles it then.

just because you've never seen the term used that way means nobody else
has either.
Old April 28th 16, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 4/28/2016 12:48 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:52:09 +0200, android wrote:

It was used for mugshots of criminals and highschool yearbooks since
forever. I mentioned that in the post you quoted and snipped! Welcome
back... :-PPP

I missed it because I've never seen a yearbook called a "facebook",
and I was a yearbook editor in high school.

Nor have I ever seen, or been in, a criminal mugshot display.

But of course. I never wanted to imply that it was used everywhere but
that it was a term in use and thus not to be considered IP of any
specific party. Don't forget the "analog" mugshots used identify perps
in police stations. The term did reach teve!

I don't think you quite understand the limitations imposed by a
trademark. Trademarking a word or term does not restrict the use of
that word or term in general use. It *is" the intellectual property
of the holder of the trademark for the specific use of identifying a
product of the trademark holder.

You can use the word "Cat" or "Caterpillar" any way you want...except
as a name for an earthmoving device you are marketing if it is not
made by Caterpillar, Inc.

Trademarked logos are the same. You can use an illustration of an
apple in an advertisement of your product as long as your apple
illustration does not directly mimic the apple design used by Apple,
Inc.

Er... Are y9u referring to a service mark when you refer to logos?

--
PeterN
Old April 28th 16, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I don't see how you can say the trademarking of the word "Facebook" in
any limits you to using that word. You want to put up a website
containing photographs of your family and call it a facebook? Do it.

do that and plan on getting a takedown notice, once facebook finds out.

It's only when you infringe on the owners of the trademark's
proprietary interest that it's a problem. You can't, for example, put
up a website that replicates what Facebook does and call that
"Facebook".

obviously, and what you call the site doesn't matter.

You are prone to making conflicting statements in the same post.

there are no conflicting statements.

If Facebook would object to calling the site a facebook, then what the
site is called would matter.

two different issues, and you're too stupid to understand the
difference.