Nikon always a day late a dollar short

Old August 26th 04, 07:43 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article pan.2004.08.25.18.59.28.766000@southafrican,
says...
How do you tell the difference between the white Canons and the white
Nikkors?

Simple, nobody buys the white Nikkors.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old August 26th 04, 08:15 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:27:41 +1200, Colin D wrote:

Dallas wrote:

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:26:43 -0400, John Llort wrote:

Again rumours are flying about a new 12mp 1.5 Crop noisy sensor DSLR
poor Nikonians are just salivating at whatever bone Nikon throws at
them, even if it is a 5K body using a noisy 1.5 crop sensor from sony.
At the olympics today I could barely walk the press line without
tripping over long white cannons. Poor Nikon. Where did they go wrong.

How do you tell the difference between the white Canons and the white
Nikkors?

When I ordered my 70-200mm f/2.8 I specifically said "I want it in
BLACK!".

Are you aware that Canon lenses are white to minimize heat build-up in
bright sun? Your black Nikkor will get too hot to touch in your blazing
African summers, Dallas. Better buy a small pot of white paint! {:-)

Colin D.

I don't think so, Tim (I mean Colin).

I don't believe that story about it being to repel heat. How come they
don't do it for the smaller lenses then? Nah, it was to make them stand
out at big sporting events.

--
Dallas
www.dallasdahms.com

Old August 26th 04, 09:33 PM
Pål Jensen

"John Llort" skrev i melding

Poor Nikon. Where did they go wrong.

Go wrong? They have doubled their slr market share the last 20 years...

Old August 26th 04, 09:33 PM
Pål Jensen

"John Llort" skrev i melding

Old August 26th 04, 10:31 PM
Rich Pos

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:27:02 -0400, "jimkramer"
wrote:

Best advise - "Try it out before you buy it" - or find out what the return
policy is if you don't like it.

Not sure how practical that is buying over the internet but something
I probably should look into.

Currently I use a HP-s10 film scanner that has done it's job well for
3 or 4 years. The last few time using it I've noticed severe banding
in areas of continuous tone. Looks awful when prints are made.

Have any idea what causes this? I've probably scanned about 2-3000
frames with it, my guess is it's getting long in the tooth.

RP©

Old August 26th 04, 10:44 PM
jimkramer

wrote:

Best advise - "Try it out before you buy it" - or find out what the

return
policy is if you don't like it.

Not sure how practical that is buying over the internet but something
I probably should look into.

Currently I use a HP-s10 film scanner that has done it's job well for
3 or 4 years. The last few time using it I've noticed severe banding
in areas of continuous tone. Looks awful when prints are made.

Have any idea what causes this? I've probably scanned about 2-3000
frames with it, my guess is it's getting long in the tooth.

RP©

I assume the banding is in the same places every time? i.e. a repetitious
pattern in the same space?

Maybe an old fashioned cleaning is in order? Not just the optics, but the
positioning sensor and drive as well. Sounds worse than it is if you aren't
afraid to rip the housing off.

Things at my house "never" get dusty.

Jim Kramer

Old August 26th 04, 11:01 PM
Rich Pos

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:44:49 -0400, "jimkramer"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

The banding is across the entire frame.
Here is a low res example, it's far more obvious on a 20MB tiff.
http://www.pbase.com/image/32543264
The scanner has always been kept very clean and covered when not in
use. I've only noticed the banding recently.

The scanner is easy to clean as the entire top is hinged giving access
to everything I'm willing to take a chance cleaning. Suppose I'll open
it up and brush it down then use a blower bulb as always and see if it
helps.

RP©