Adobe gone crazy?

Old January 28th 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default Adobe gone crazy?

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"tony cooper" wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:02:50 -0700, Wally wrote:
But there is a great danger of a frustrated user disabling his AV or
firewall software because it is obstructing what he wants to do. And
I've seen plenty of polluted computers as a result.

Be more specific. Are you saying that a computer can be harmed by
turning off the anti-virus program during the download and install
from a site like Adobe's?

Assuming the anti-virus is re-opened immediately after these two
actions, what harm can befall the computer?

The firewall should be left on all the time. If one doesn't click email
attachements, I'm not convinced that AV software is necessary. (If one is
the only one using your own computer.)

Unless, of course, you are running a Mac. Then AV software is really
unnecessary, and you don't need to sweat it if the firewall is down.

--
john mcwilliams
Old January 28th 09, 07:02 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Frank Arthur wrote:
"Focus" wrote in message

Does anyone know *how* to get this thing to work? Or do I need to
get a cracked version?
I've been trying this for 4 days now and Adobe support doesn't have
a clue...

Thanks!

Considering that Adobe has distributed thousands of CS4 downloads that
have worked on most computers for most users- Why do you feel Adobe is
at fault?

Have you tried it lately?

This is what I get:

Access denied
We're sorry, you are not allowed access to the service you requested.

If you feel you should have access, please contact the appropriate
authorities and give them your IP address: 99.52.200.137

Thank you for your patience.

--
Ray Fischer

Old January 28th 09, 08:06 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Focus says...

Thanks Tony and all others. I just read this after I found the problem
myself: it was indeed AVG that caused the problem. To make things more
complicated: I turned it off, but I found the program refused to shut down:
when I used CTRL-ALT-DEL I saw AVG still in memory and even stopping the
process didn't work. So I had to uninstall it to get PS to run setup. After
I did, the icon of setup changed too!

You have to rename the .exe of the AV process, then stop the process.
Once you finished installing the Adobe stuff, you give the .exe of the
AV its old name and restart the AV software.
--
Alfred Molon
Old January 28th 09, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Jim says...

I'm afraid it is you who is out of date and out of touch. AVG is known
throughout the net for giving false positives.
I have used all of the major AV programs and Kaspersky is best,
followed by NOD32.

I read a few days ago somewhere a report od a guy who had to uninstall
Kaspersky because it was slowing down his CS4 to almost zero.
--
Alfred Molon
Old January 28th 09, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Krypto says...
illegal? That's just a large sick bird.

Seriously, if you use APCS4 in any commercial capacity I would
definetly recommend that you buy it.

If you are like me, a casual home user, then save several hundred
bucks and get it free. Nobody is going catch or punish you for using
it. Think of it as a long term evaluation period.

Does Abobe lose any money cuz I use it for free? No! I would never buy
the program because it is too expensive for home use, so no, they
didn't lose any money with me. Adobe, Microsoft etc. mostly care about
commercial users of their products. I have never heard of any home
user being prosecuted.

Yes, you'd never buy PS, but for home users there is PS Elements, which
costs only around USD 99 (or around that) and has all features a non-pro
needs.
--
Alfred Molon
Old January 28th 09, 08:26 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

Wally wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:39:56 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

After downloading PS CS4, which was next to impossible, because they have a
new download manager that doesn't work on my computer in: Firefox, Internet
Explorer and Opera.
I finally managed (NOT thanks to the help of very "unknowledgeable" helpdesk
workers) to download it, by copying the text into two parts in the window of
FF.
Now I have it on the hd, I try to open setup but it refuses to open:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have
the appropriate permissions to access the item."
I even tried it with administrator and password, but still the same.
Also very funny: AVG sees a virus in the setup.exe file!!!
Way to go Adobe!
What's next? After starting install, you have to put your passport on the
screen, run around the house three times and shout: Adobe, Adobe company
don't leave me in misery...

If the file tests positive for a virus, don't run it. (DUH).

Most likely AVG has locked the file to prevent dufuses like you from
running a virus-infected file.

Wally

Even MORE likely is that AVG is giving a false positive, and locking the
file. Sometimes those setup programs do things that are similar to
virus actions, and thus get flagged as virus inclusions by the AV
program's 'heuristic' module.
Old January 28th 09, 08:29 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

Wally wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:30:42 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Wally wrote:
[...]

So you're saying that the version on the Adobe site is virus infected?
While not impossible one would expect them to have fixed it by now.

More likely AVG is detecting a false positive.

My experience with antivirus programs is that one is far more likely
to have one's machine trashed by an antivirus program than by a virus.

The OP did not say that the file was downloaded from Adobe.

Your statement about antivirus programs is out of date. The virus and
other malware scene has changed much in the last few years. IMHO you
really need to take your AV software seriously.

Wally

I took it so seriously that I uninstalled it completely. That gives me
a machine that runs about 20% faster, and in the two years prior to
uninstalling it, the said AV program (Norton) hadn't detected a single
virus because, I:
1. Am very careful what I download, and from where,
2. I have a firewall program with various protection features that trap
certainly types of virus files before the AV program even sees them.
Old January 28th 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Wally wrote:

wrote:

Wally wrote:
[...]

followed by NOD32. I would not have AVG on my computer.
I am a programmer so I know a fair bit about software.

IMHO *you* really need to take your AV software seriously and maybe
know a little about what it is that you write about!

Well, nya nya, I'm a progammer too. And my daddy is also a programmer,
and he's probably a better programmer than you.

Yes, AVG has had some well-publicized false alarms lately, but that
doesn't mean you can dismiss those just because false positives
happen. Most users have no way of telling a real positive from a false
positive.

But there is a great danger of a frustrated user disabling his AV or
firewall software because it is obstructing what he wants to do. And
I've seen plenty of polluted computers as a result.

Wally
who knows a lot about software because he's a PROGRAMMER.

I think the possibility of a virus in something you downloaded from
Adobe's website is about the same as you being hit by lightning while in
a cave. And if such DID happen, it would probably make the front page
of most newspapers.
AV programs (all of them) DO sometimes come up with false positives. If
this happens on a website of a reliable company, and you don't hear
about any such news in a day or two, it would be safe to turn off the AV
for that download. Be sure to turn it back on before you do anything
else, though.
Old January 28th 09, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mark Thomas wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:02:50 -0700, Wally wrote:

But there is a great danger of a frustrated user disabling his AV or
firewall software because it is obstructing what he wants to do. And
I've seen plenty of polluted computers as a result.

Be more specific. Are you saying that a computer can be harmed by
turning off the anti-virus program during the download and install
from a site like Adobe's?

Assuming the anti-virus is re-opened immediately after these two
actions, what harm can befall the computer?

Not really any.. provided that the user *remembers* to re-enable, and
that while the av is off, s/he doesn't do anything silly, like download
something else from somewhere else...

It's a bit like taking the battery out of your fire alarm when you burn
the toast.

I know that people do take the batteries out of their fire alarms, and
forget to put new ones in, but I always leave the fire alarm on the
kitchen counter until I get a new battery. Usually I have a new battery
'in stock' (my wife buys batteries when a good sale comes along), and
just install one immediately. When you get old, you learn a few ways to
deal, safely, with a slowly deteriorating memory.....
Old January 28th 09, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"tony cooper" wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:02:50 -0700, Wally wrote:
But there is a great danger of a frustrated user disabling his AV or
firewall software because it is obstructing what he wants to do. And
I've seen plenty of polluted computers as a result.

Be more specific. Are you saying that a computer can be harmed by
turning off the anti-virus program during the download and install
from a site like Adobe's?

Assuming the anti-virus is re-opened immediately after these two
actions, what harm can befall the computer?

The firewall should be left on all the time. If one doesn't click email
attachements, I'm not convinced that AV software is necessary. (If one is
the only one using your own computer.)

A good AV program will also check any file that is added, or updated,
regardless of source, so the email entry route is not really the main
avenue of invasion for some users who routinely put other's USB drives
into their computer, for instance.