questions about SLR photography, nikon n5005

Old September 4th 04, 03:59 PM
me

"Pallav" wrote in message
om...
hello,

i'm a beginner to SLR photography and i have some specific questions
i'd like to get answered.

i usually use a digital canon G5 powershot camera on my travel.
however, this year i am going trekking in the himalayas and then
travel in rajasthan, india and have thought about using an SLR camera
as an alternative to try to do some creative nature photography, etc.
(plus the fact that my SLR runs on normal batteries)

i was given an old SLR camera by a sibling (she never used it and i'm
trying to learn it). its an nikon N5005 model with AF sigma 70-200mm
zoom lens. i spent some time reading a book on beginner photography by
john hedgecoe at B&N and have the following questions.

1. the zoom lens would be good for close up shots, however, i think i
need a wide angle lens around 28-70mm AF for wide shots. can anyone
give me model names that would work with the nikon 5005? i don't want
to buy super expensive lens since i'm a beginnier. any suggestions on
what woudl be appropriate? something around 100-150 max.

A 50mm WITH a depth of field scale is the next lens you should buy.
Ametures consider maximum aperture as a mesure of lens quailty, it is not.
Maximum aperture is of little importance as all 50mm lenses will have a more
than large enough maximum. You need to learn about DOF and you will need a
fixed length lens with a DOF scale to do that. Really good composition is
VERY difficult with a wide angle lens. Your photos will be much better if
you DON'T try to get everything in.

2. since i'd be on medium altitude (3500 m), light from the sun will
be a problem. i was reading UV filters and polarizing filters are
recommended. any recommendations on some good filters that would work
well in such situations with this camera?

UV is fine. I prefer a ploarizer but you will lose 2 stops of light. If
you can afford it try both.

3. also, i am thinking about using slide film due to richer colors (i
suppose). as i understand the margin of error is much smaller in slide
film than print. so what would be the best way to learn to shoot with
slide flim? just load and start clicking away? i plan on using AF mode
(or aperture-priority and shutter-priority), and experimenting.

You're better off learning more about photography BEFORE you try slide film.
Agfa Ultra or Agfa Vista are excellent choices for saturated color print
films and are far more likely to deliver pleasing results on the first try
than slide film.

4. since the nikon 5005 has no digital indicators of the
aperture/shutter settings, do you suggest i invest some money in a
lightning meter? will a lightning meter be really helpful in a place
like the himalayas? i'm currently struggling in trying to understand
the relationships of aperture and shutter speed. i have a vague idea
but need to play aroudn with the camera to see what happens.

Get a beginners book or take a class. Put the camera in manual mode and the
aperature and shutter speed will be visible. You're not ready for a hand
held meter, use the one in the camera for now. When you do buy a meter
learn how to use it in incidence mode FIRST.

5. do i need a tripod? and if so, any ideas on a lightweight tripod
that can support a hefty camera like nikon 5005?

You may meed a tripod if you use a slow film such as 100 speed and you want
to make carefully composed compositions and you are willing to take the time
needed to justify the effort. The Velbon MAXi 347e is my choice to answer
the weight versus stability question. Every pound saved equals a mile
further you can walk!

any other tips/advice for a begineer trying to shoot
nature/outdoor/travel photography in the himalayas/rajasthan is
greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time.

pallav

Old September 4th 04, 04:14 PM
me

I left something out. Amateurs think equipment makes the photographer, it
does not. Great photography is 99% skill and 1% equipment.

Old September 5th 04, 05:00 AM
William Graham

"me" wrote in message
I left something out. Amateurs think equipment makes the photographer, it
does not. Great photography is 99% skill and 1% equipment.

Yes, but I have no way of changing/buying a better photographer. I am pretty
well stuck with what I am, especially since I am already 69 years old. So,
if I want to improve my pictures, I can buy better equipment.....Better
film, better lenses, better tripod, etc. I can take cruises to exotic
places, and find nicer scenery. But all these things just cost money, so it
pretty well comes down to this: the one who has or is willing to spend the
most money is the one who will show the most improvement. And this is true
if you are working during the last 20% or so of your life.....

Old September 5th 04, 07:27 AM
Dallas

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:14:41 -0500, me wrote:

I left something out. Amateurs think equipment makes the photographer, it
does not. Great photography is 99% skill and 1% equipment.

You love Lomography, don't you?

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted

Old September 5th 04, 11:11 PM
Sander Vesik

Martin Francis wrote:

2. since i'd be on medium altitude (3500 m), light from the sun will
be a problem. i was reading UV filters and polarizing filters are
recommended. any recommendations on some good filters that would work
well in such situations with this camera?

UV filters are primarily for protecting your element from the elements :-).
They do cut down UV light, though the effect is minimal. Polarisers are a

Uhh.. Did you actually read the part where he said 3500m? This is
not sealevel photgraphy he is talking about.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++