Maxxum 9000 Question

Old June 29th 04, 01:41 AM
Stephen M. Gluck

Default Maxxum 9000 Question

I am a newbie to the maxxum 9000. My camera equipped with an MD-90
Motor Drive and a Super program Back 90 is stuck at either th 4000 f22
setting or sometimes at the 4000 f (blinking) The shutter does not
fire. I believe that i am doing something wrong. The viewfinder is
dark and the same information above is visable in the viewfinder. Any
ideas of what I am doing wrong ?
Old June 29th 04, 11:34 AM
Mike Lipphardt

It almost sounds as if the camera doesn't know there is a lens mounted. Try
another lens and see what happens.

Mike

Old June 29th 04, 12:42 PM
Stephen M. Gluck

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:34:00 GMT, "Mike Lipphardt"
wrote:

It almost sounds as if the camera doesn't know there is a lens mounted. Try
another lens and see what happens.

Mike

"Stephen M. Gluck" wrote in message
.. .
I am a newbie to the maxxum 9000. My camera equipped with an MD-90
Motor Drive and a Super program Back 90 is stuck at either th 4000 f22
setting or sometimes at the 4000 f (blinking) The shutter does not
fire. I believe that i am doing something wrong. The viewfinder is
dark and the same information above is visable in the viewfinder. Any
ideas of what I am doing wrong ?

One other thing. The mirror is in the locked up position and the film
winder will not advance.

Old June 29th 04, 04:44 PM
Alan Browne

Stephen M. Gluck wrote:
I am a newbie to the maxxum 9000. My camera equipped with an MD-90
Motor Drive and a Super program Back 90 is stuck at either th 4000 f22
setting or sometimes at the 4000 f (blinking) The shutter does not
fire. I believe that i am doing something wrong. The viewfinder is
dark and the same information above is visable in the viewfinder. Any
ideas of what I am doing wrong ?

Is the DOF preview button stuck? Press it and let go. You
should hear the aperture mechanism cycling. Check viewfinder again.

If the VF is dark it is either the aperture is stuck stopped way
down (point at a bright light, something should get through) or
the mirror is locked up (remove lens to check).

There is a metal tab at the back of the lens. Spring tension
normally holds it 'stopped down' when off the camera; you should
be able to "open up" the aperture by moving the tab. You may
need a small screwdriver to do so if it is recessed (depends on
lens).

You say you can read the data in the viewfinder, so the
viewfinder shutter (back of camera/blocks seeing in the
viewfinder) should be open. Verify in any case.

Take control of the camera: put it in "M" mode.

Set the film ISO to 100. (If your ISO is set at 6400 or similar
fast setting, the auto setting will tend to drive to fast shutter
speeds/small apertures ... although before the shutter is
pressed, the aperture should be fully open).

In "M" mode, set it to f/5.6 (or as large as the lens will go).
Does that fix it? Again: is the DOF preview button stuck?

Remove the batteries; remove the lens. Are the lens electrical
contacts clean? (Clean carefully with alcohol (q-tip) or a
pencil eraser... mind the 'bits'). Let sit a while. Remount the
lens and try again. If you can remove the back and put on an
ordinary back, try that too.

If the above doesn't get it going, take it to a camera repair shop.

G'luck,
Alan.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 29th 04, 05:32 PM
Stephen M. Gluck

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:44:48 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Stephen M. Gluck wrote:
I am a newbie to the maxxum 9000. My camera equipped with an MD-90
Motor Drive and a Super program Back 90 is stuck at either th 4000 f22
setting or sometimes at the 4000 f (blinking) The shutter does not
fire. I believe that i am doing something wrong. The viewfinder is
dark and the same information above is visable in the viewfinder. Any
ideas of what I am doing wrong ?

Is the DOF preview button stuck? Press it and let go. You
should hear the aperture mechanism cycling. Check viewfinder again.

Not an issue. DOF works well, I tested it as per Maxxum9000.org web
site instructions thanks to Mangus
If the VF is dark it is either the aperture is stuck stopped way
down (point at a bright light, something should get through) or
the mirror is locked up (remove lens to check).

The mirror is stuck on a horizontal plane with the focusing ground
glass grid. The film advance is stuck
There is a metal tab at the back of the lens. Spring tension
normally holds it 'stopped down' when off the camera; you should
be able to "open up" the aperture by moving the tab. You may
need a small screwdriver to do so if it is recessed (depends on
lens).

You say you can read the data in the viewfinder, so the
viewfinder shutter (back of camera/blocks seeing in the
viewfinder) should be open. Verify in any case.

Not an issue. When shut its red. It is in the open position
Take control of the camera: put it in "M" mode.

Reading in M mode 4000/ f22. Camera still not functioning

Set the film ISO to 100. (If your ISO is set at 6400 or similar
fast setting, the auto setting will tend to drive to fast shutter
speeds/small apertures ... although before the shutter is
pressed, the aperture should be fully open).

Will not work
In "M" mode, set it to f/5.6 (or as large as the lens will go).
Does that fix it? Again: is the DOF preview button stuck?

set lens at f3.5 still nothing
Remove the batteries; remove the lens. Are the lens electrical
contacts clean? (Clean carefully with alcohol (q-tip) or a
pencil eraser... mind the 'bits'). Let sit a while. Remount the
lens and try again. If you can remove the back and put on an
ordinary back, try that too.

Did all that
If the above doesn't get it going, take it to a camera repair shop.

Just delivered the camera back lens and motor drive to Ace Camera
Repair. Really excellent work. They do the work for a couple of
photographers I know and the local University's Photograhy Department
and they specialize in Minolta. I'll let you know the outcome Friday
when I either get it back repaired or they find it too uneconomical to
repair.
G'luck,
Alan.

Old June 29th 04, 05:33 PM
Stephen M. Gluck

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:04:17 GMT, "Mike Lipphardt"
wrote:

Did you try taking the winder off?

Mike

Absolutley, still no reponse from the camera

Old June 29th 04, 06:20 PM
Alan Browne

Stephen M. Gluck wrote:

I am a newbie to the maxxum 9000. My camera equipped with an MD-90
Motor Drive and a Super program Back 90 is stuck at either th 4000 f22
setting or sometimes at the 4000 f (blinking) The shutter does not
fire. I believe that i am doing something wrong. The viewfinder is
dark and the same information above is visable in the viewfinder. Any
ideas of what I am doing wrong ?

One other thing. The mirror is in the locked up position and the film
winder will not advance.

Take it to a shop.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 29th 04, 06:46 PM
Mike Lipphardt

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Stephen M. Gluck wrote:

I am a newbie to the maxxum 9000. My camera equipped with an MD-90
Motor Drive and a Super program Back 90 is stuck at either th 4000 f22
setting or sometimes at the 4000 f (blinking) The shutter does not
fire. I believe that i am doing something wrong. The viewfinder is
dark and the same information above is visable in the viewfinder. Any
ideas of what I am doing wrong ?

One other thing. The mirror is in the locked up position and the film
winder will not advance.

Take it to a shop.

That might be a trick. Minolta no longer supports it (hasn't for years) and
parts are getting scarce. Perhaps Essex Camera could fix it. But you might
be better off replacing it.

Mike

Old June 30th 04, 01:19 PM
Stephen M. Gluck

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:46:26 GMT, "Mike Lipphardt"
wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..
Stephen M. Gluck wrote:

I am a newbie to the maxxum 9000. My camera equipped with an MD-90
Motor Drive and a Super program Back 90 is stuck at either th 4000 f22
setting or sometimes at the 4000 f (blinking) The shutter does not
fire. I believe that i am doing something wrong. The viewfinder is
dark and the same information above is visable in the viewfinder. Any
ideas of what I am doing wrong ?

One other thing. The mirror is in the locked up position and the film
winder will not advance.

Take it to a shop.

That might be a trick. Minolta no longer supports it (hasn't for years) and
parts are getting scarce. Perhaps Essex Camera could fix it. But you might
be better off replacing it.

Mike

There is a wonderful repair shop that specializes in Minolta in
FlushingNY ACE Camera Repair. They did a wonderful job on my f8
Rokkor. There seems to be many cannibalized cameras in the shop all of
them Minolta.

Just got Maxxum 9000 AF SLR Stephen M. Gluck 35mm Photo Equipment 6 June 25th 04 03:20 PM
*Minolta Users* - How was the transition from 800si to Maxxum 7?? Viken Karaguesian 35mm Photo Equipment 2 June 16th 04 05:03 PM
Bellows question T R In The Darkroom 4 March 10th 04 04:48 PM
question about cross-processing the letter K Film & Labs 3 February 4th 04 11:03 PM
MF resolution question Faisal Bhua Film & Labs 42 December 17th 03 02:14 PM