OLD ROLLEFLEX

Old November 10th 04, 06:57 PM
ANDYLEW

Default OLD ROLLEFLEX

Hi Everyone

I have recently purchased my first Rolleiflex, and would like help
identifying the model and its age.Here is a brief description of the
camera: The name Rolleiflex is engraved on a plate at the top. Either
side of the name are the letters DRP and DRGM. Below the name is what I
believe is the serial number 489620. The lens is Carl Zeiss Jena, Tessar
1:35 f=7.5cms/n 1879371. Below the lens it reads Compur. Above the viewing
lens it reads Franke & Heidecke - Braunschweig. Shutter speeds T-500 f
stops 3.5 to 22. Everything works perfectly. In fact the the only thing
wrong with it, is the magnifying glass is missing from the viewfinder. If
anyone can help or would like some pictures of the camera, please e-mail
me. Regards Andy Lewis

Old November 10th 04, 08:51 PM
Camera

If you got a picture, it will help a lot.

"ANDYLEW" ¦b¶l¥ó
lkaboutphotography.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Old November 11th 04, 02:04 AM
Richard Knoppow

"ANDYLEW" wrote in message
lkaboutphotography.com...
[...]

From the serial number this seems to be what is called an
Old Standard Rolleiflex. These were made between November,
1934 and May, 1938, at which time is was replace with the
Rolleiflex Automat and Rolleiflex New Standard models.
Assuming the serial number series was used consecutively the
camera is a fairly late one. The lens serial number dates
from 1936, so its about right for the camera. Generally
lenses are made in batches and are somewhat older than the
cameras they are in.
DRG means German Reich Patent, DRGM means something like
a design patent. R for Reich, dates the camera from before
about 1946 when it was changed to DBP and DBGM, the B
meaning Bundes.
Compur is the make of shutter. These cameras had Compur
Rapid shutters with a top speed of 1/500th second. They also
had Time and Bulb settings. The shutter is NOT cocked for T
or B. Later shutters on Rolleiflex's do not have the T
setting.
The magnifying glass is often missing, they were rather
delicately mounted. The font panel should have a small
convex mirror in the center. The sports finder frame is used
by getting the image of your eye in the mirror, that
indicates your eye is centered on it. Some parts are still
available for these cameras.
The Zeiss Tessar of this period is an excellent lens.
Because of some inherent properties of the Tessar they do
not much benifit from the use of modern high index glasses.
For that reason many of the old ones have about as good
performance as a modern version has.
The original ground glass in the finder has a bubble
level cemented to it. These are often dried out or missing
if the GG has been replaced.
I have about a 1936 Old Standard that I cobbled together
from two parts cameras. Its a very nice little camera, light
in weight and has good ergonomics.
You may be interested in the Rolleiflex Users mailing
list.

SAVE THIS MESSAGE! From time to time, our beloved computer
unsubscribes
us, so, should you not receive any messages for a day or
three, perhaps you
might just trying resubscribing.

To subscribe from the list, send a mail message to:

the body (not the subject) should contain the line

subscribe rollei

Also see Ferdi Sutterheim's web site at:
http://www.stutterheim.nl/rollei/rolleigraphy.html

There is lots of interest there. I think he has an on
line manual for this camera or a link to one.

--
---
Richard Knoppow