COLD weather

Old February 21st 05, 11:43 AM
Ron Hunter

Clark Martin wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Fields" wrote:

"Clark Martin" wrote in message

Last year I was in Yosemite Valley on a day with the temperature
dropping below 32F (rain turned to snow). I had been carrying my
Olympus D-490 in a camera bag under my Jacket. I took it out and took
one picture then went to close the lens cover / shut it off. The lens
wouldn't retract. I put it back under my jacket and was eventually able
to get it to retract. I don't know if it was the camera or the
batteries. After that I either didn't take some shots or kept the
camera under my jacket to open / close it and just pulled it out quickly
for the shot.

--
Clark Martin

Not sure what the problem was, but there is no way the cold could
have affected the batteries in the time you took it out, took a picture
then when to close it back up. Those batteries have a fair amount
of thermal mass and they are enclosed in the camera when the door
is shut so it would take quite a while for them to change temperature
based on the ambient temperature. I have a D-490 and have not seen
any problems like that and have had it up on the ski slopes a couple
of times (in my jacket before/after taking the pictures) with no
problems.

Thanks, it's good to have additional data for the same camera.

It still could be the cold, I was darn cold. It's possible the
batteries were marginal, I don't recall if I needed to replace them
later.

NIMH batteries that are cold do not deliver all their charge, but will
deliver the rest of it when they warm up.

--
Ron Hunter

Old February 21st 05, 02:05 PM
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Really!I didn't know that.On the other hand, I shot with my FM-2 while
skiing, and its Lithium battery (used only for photometry)worked perfectly.I
don't know what happens with the Nicd batteries I bought for my current
Kodak CX 7300.(No money left for the more expensive NiMH batteries).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Old February 22nd 05, 01:21 AM
Ron Hunter

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
Really!I didn't know that.On the other hand, I shot with my FM-2 while
skiing, and its Lithium battery (used only for photometry)worked perfectly.I
don't know what happens with the Nicd batteries I bought for my current
Kodak CX 7300.(No money left for the more expensive NiMH batteries).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
? "Ron Hunter" ?????? ??? ??????

Clark Martin wrote:

In article ,
"Mike Fields" wrote:

[...]

More expensive? A pack of 4 NIMH batteries goes for about $10US around
here. That's too expensive for batteries that will last for 300-500
recharges? At only 100 pictures/charge, that would be 30000 pictures,
at least! Expensive???

--
Ron Hunter

Cold weather... Pertinax Photographing Nature 7 January 1st 05 11:22 PM
Cold Photography Procedures Rob Digital Photography 38 October 18th 04 11:01 PM
Cotnrast Filter spacing and Cold Light John Walton In The Darkroom 5 June 29th 04 05:29 PM
Cold Sepia Ken Smith In The Darkroom 5 May 6th 04 04:19 AM
Cold Weather Cameras The Wogster Photographing Nature 9 February 13th 04 07:33 PM