COLD weather

Old January 22nd 05, 08:26 PM
Clark Martin

I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I should
read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's actually about 3
degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be good for an expensive lens
or the internal components of the camera. Damn, I wanna take some pictures.
Spring time is usually the perfect time though....and that will be here
eventually.

Last year I was in Yosemite Valley on a day with the temperature
dropping below 32F (rain turned to snow). I had been carrying my
Olympus D-490 in a camera bag under my Jacket. I took it out and took
one picture then went to close the lens cover / shut it off. The lens
wouldn't retract. I put it back under my jacket and was eventually able
to get it to retract. I don't know if it was the camera or the
batteries. After that I either didn't take some shots or kept the
camera under my jacket to open / close it and just pulled it out quickly
for the shot.

--
Clark Martin

Old January 22nd 05, 09:58 PM
Cynthia P

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:43:01 -0500, wrote:

I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I should
read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's actually about 3
degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be good for an expensive lens
or the internal components of the camera. Damn, I wanna take some pictures.
Spring time is usually the perfect time though....and that will be here
eventually.

Could be worse... I got a new C-5050 recently, but January in ND is
not the friendliest time to be outside and I don't think the camera
would take it well!

3 degrees wind chill is nothing... I went through -20F to -40F
windchill yesterday trying to run errands.

Cynthia
Old January 23rd 05, 02:29 AM
Robert Scott

"Cynthia P" wrote in message

3 degrees wind chill is nothing... I went through -20F to -40F
windchill yesterday trying to run errands.

Oh yeah? Trying to run errands is nothing... I spent all day out in it on
foot, delivering the mail! :-)

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

Old January 23rd 05, 04:38 AM
Rose_

So no one here is addressing the possiblity of taking a D70 out in the
snow like what we're having in NY right now...should I wait until it
stops tomorrow??

Thanks R

Old January 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
Robert Scott

"Rose_" wrote in message
oups.com...
So no one here is addressing the possiblity of taking a D70 out in the
snow like what we're having in NY right now...should I wait until it
stops tomorrow??

I'm in upstate NY and will be outside with my D70 as soon as I snowblow the
driveway. Of course, the winds are blowing like hell and I won't be OUTSIDE
with my D70, I'll be in my warm 4WD pickup.

Good shoveling,
Bob Scott

Old January 23rd 05, 01:50 PM
Robert Scott

"Mike Fields" wrote in message

Would you guys mind sending some of that cold here to Washington state??
Our ski areas just shut down after being open for a week because of all
the
warm rain that melted the snow -- we are about 10 degrees above normal
right now. We really NEED some of that cold !!!!

Mike,

If we could just get the direction of the wind to change, you could probably
have all our cold AND snow. It's howling outside right now and the
temperature is sitting right at 0 degrees F. I really don't want to go out
and start the snowblower....

Good shooting, skiing and boarding,
Bob Scott

Old January 23rd 05, 01:53 PM
L.C.

"Rose_" wrote in message
oups.com...
So no one here is addressing the possiblity of taking a D70 out in the
snow like what we're having in NY right now...should I wait until it
stops tomorrow??

Thanks R

I have spent several hours photographing biathalon at -20 Celcius and had no
problems with my 10D except for having to switch batteries. I keep a set in
a pocket in my pants and rotate them whenever I get low battery signal. No
difficulty I could see.

L.C.

Old January 23rd 05, 06:27 PM
Jer

Jim Townsend wrote:

I'm curious. With the millions of digicams in use indoors and out, all
over the world... Are there any actual documented cases of cameras being
damaged by condensation ? If so, what exactly did the condensation do to
these cameras ?

In 2002, I (and a team of others) spent 3 months in various locales in
Central America. Electronic devices don't tolerate mold spores very
well due to internal heat loads and the humidity of a rain forest.
Floppy disks suffered the most, but all unsealed electronic circuit
boards eventually died from jungle rot, ie. laptops (main circuit boards
and LCD screens), cameras (lens and bodies), one of two GPS trackers
were included in the body counts. The other GPS unit, Sat phone and
dive computers did well due to their hermetically sealed enclosures.
I've not been with the team since, but they now use flash drives for
data storage, and everything else is sealed, including special laptops
with membrane keyboards.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old February 21st 05, 06:43 AM
Clark Martin

"Mike Fields" wrote:

"Clark Martin" wrote in message

Last year I was in Yosemite Valley on a day with the temperature
dropping below 32F (rain turned to snow). I had been carrying my
Olympus D-490 in a camera bag under my Jacket. I took it out and took
one picture then went to close the lens cover / shut it off. The lens
wouldn't retract. I put it back under my jacket and was eventually able
to get it to retract. I don't know if it was the camera or the
batteries. After that I either didn't take some shots or kept the
camera under my jacket to open / close it and just pulled it out quickly
for the shot.

--
Clark Martin

Not sure what the problem was, but there is no way the cold could
have affected the batteries in the time you took it out, took a picture
then when to close it back up. Those batteries have a fair amount
of thermal mass and they are enclosed in the camera when the door
is shut so it would take quite a while for them to change temperature
based on the ambient temperature. I have a D-490 and have not seen
any problems like that and have had it up on the ski slopes a couple
of times (in my jacket before/after taking the pictures) with no
problems.

Thanks, it's good to have additional data for the same camera.

It still could be the cold, I was darn cold. It's possible the
batteries were marginal, I don't recall if I needed to replace them
later.

--
Clark Martin

Cold weather... Pertinax Photographing Nature 7 January 1st 05 11:22 PM
Cold Photography Procedures Rob Digital Photography 38 October 18th 04 11:01 PM
Cotnrast Filter spacing and Cold Light John Walton In The Darkroom 5 June 29th 04 05:29 PM
Cold Sepia Ken Smith In The Darkroom 5 May 6th 04 04:19 AM
Cold Weather Cameras The Wogster Photographing Nature 9 February 13th 04 07:33 PM