Liverwort Macro

Old March 16th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Paul Furman

Default Liverwort Macro

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/
-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for
a total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to
get started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

A few more he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...759735/detail/
Old March 16th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Richard[_5_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/
-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for a
total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to get
started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

A few more he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...759735/detail/

Now that is impressive.

Old March 16th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
OG

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/
-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for a
total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to get
started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

Very impressive. How does stacking work with macro photography? I assume
it's done to widen the DOF, just not sure of the theory and practice behind
it.

Old March 16th 10, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
no66y©

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/
-original size is worth clicking

Wow, impressive.

--
no66y©
no66y AT gmx DOT co DOT uk

Old March 16th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 10-03-16 12:28 , Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/

-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for
a total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to
get started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

A few more he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...759735/detail/

Great detail.

I'd punch up the contrast a tad.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old March 16th 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 10-03-16 12:28 , Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/

-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for
a total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to
get started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

How did you control the focus steps?

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old March 16th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Paul Furman

OG wrote:
"Paul wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/
-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for a
total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to get
started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

Very impressive.

Glad you all enjoyed, it's a lot of work and many less exciting results
preceded. I think these liverworts (little moss/fern type plants) have
particularly large cells so it looks like 50x or something.

How does stacking work with macro photography? I assume
it's done to widen the DOF, just not sure of the theory and practice behind
it.

Right, the DOF is just a few microns (thousandth of mm's). That's with a
35mm f/2 lens but at 10x magnification, that's f/22 which is starting to
suffer from diffraction, even on 12 MP full frame. More than that & you
need a microscope objective, then DOF *really* gets ridiculous.

The software & technique can get very involved but with a suitable
subject and good luck, you basically just push a button & it runs. I use
Zerene Stacker which has a nice feature for scrolling through the set
cloning parts of different layers for final cleanup and to remove dust
streaks. Flat subjects are easy, hairy spiders with overlapping legs are
real tough. Lighting is a challenge. Composition can be very challenging
because you can't really see what it's going to look like and focus
steps change the scale so there's always some cropping; not always easy
to predict.
Old March 16th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
On 10-03-16 12:28 , Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/

-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for
a total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to
get started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

How did you control the focus steps?

I bolted a micrometer to the front of the bellows:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4172437271/
It's basically just a finely threaded screw that pushes the bellows
closed. There are lots of ways to go, probably the best would be mount
the camera or subject stage on a focus block salvaged from a microscope,
or a small machinist's table. The rest of my rig is for positioning x,y
& tilt.
Old March 16th 10, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Tim Conway[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:
On 10-03-16 12:28 , Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/

-original size is worth clicking

This was made from a stack of 300 frames at about 7 microns per step for
a total depth of 2mm. These little cups hold water for young plants to
get started then a raindrop splashes them out to spread.

How did you control the focus steps?

I bolted a micrometer to the front of the bellows:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4172437271/
It's basically just a finely threaded screw that pushes the bellows
closed. There are lots of ways to go, probably the best would be mount the
camera or subject stage on a focus block salvaged from a microscope, or a
small machinist's table. The rest of my rig is for positioning x,y & tilt.

FANTASTIC! Let's see the P&S troll say something about this. NO point and
shoot that I've ever seen is capable of this. Bellows and a good lens etc.
always does macro best. You took it to the next level. :-)

Old March 17th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"Tim Conway" wrote in message

On 10-03-16 12:28 , Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623505759735/

FANTASTIC! Let's see the P&S troll say something about this. NO point and
shoot that I've ever seen is capable of this. Bellows and a good lens
etc. always does macro best. You took it to the next level. :-)

No idea what that twerp would say but this is probably as good as it gets
for the Canon G series with a macro lens and adaptor:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G7macro.html

CHDK looks like it can handle focus control. I only skimmed the page so
don't know how it can be tweaked or scripted.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking

FU trimmed to alt.photography cuz I hate crossposting.

--
Charles E Hardwidge