Nikon D50 vs D70 (Not D70s)

Old September 8th 05, 04:04 PM
Tony Polson

Proconsul wrote:

Also nonsense - the 18-70mm lens as well as all other Nikkor DX, G or D
series lenses are widely available anywhere and even discounted, including
large numbers being sold "new" in box on eBay, never mind any reputable
camera store/chain....online or in person.....!

It isn't nonsense.

The 18-70mm is not available bundled with the D50 in most world
markets. Yes, it is available separately, but only at an additional
cost. That makes the total of price of the D50 and the 18-70mm almost
as expensive as the price of the D70s kit with the bundled 18-70mm.

Old September 8th 05, 04:07 PM
Tony Polson

Proconsul wrote:

Nonsense - the difference in price isn't significant. The difference in
function is significant.....on comparison, though, it's a matter of personal
preference more than one of "cost".

The "cost" difference between the discounted D70 and the D50 is only a
hundred bucks or so.....! For another hundred bucks you can get a D70s.

So the price difference is between the D50 and D70s is $200. If the
original poster cannot afford that $200, then he has no option but to
buy the D50. I am surprised you cannot see that.

And if the original poster has no need for the extra features of the
D70s, what possible justification is there for spending another $200?

(Don't bother answering - it was a rhetorical question)

Old September 8th 05, 04:39 PM
Proconsul

On 9/8/05 8:04 AM, in article ,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

Proconsul wrote:

Also nonsense - the 18-70mm lens as well as all other Nikkor DX, G or D
series lenses are widely available anywhere and even discounted, including
large numbers being sold "new" in box on eBay, never mind any reputable
camera store/chain....online or in person.....!

It isn't nonsense.

The 18-70mm is not available bundled with the D50 in most world
markets. Yes, it is available separately, but only at an additional
cost. That makes the total of price of the D50 and the 18-70mm almost
as expensive as the price of the D70s kit with the bundled 18-70mm.

Nonsense it was and nonsense it remains......

What you don't want to deal with is the fact that the D50 as
presented/bundled makes no sense when you can get a D70 with the 18-70mm DX
lens for a few bucks more. Your contention of a serious price differential
doesn't hold water...never did in the real world. A perusal of camera chains
that sell online shows that the difference between and D50 body and
comparable D70 body with rebate is about 100 bucks. Prices lens for lens
shows zero difference, i.e., total cost between comparably configured D50 or
D70 cameras is a hundred bucks. Furthermore, a comparable D70s costs only a
bit more than 200 bucks more. Not worth all the bandwidth wasted on a bogus
argument......

There was no real "choice" to be made and that remains the salient point. I
see no reason for anyone to buy a D50 other than their decision that they
PREFER that model over a D70 or D70s. That's why the two different models
exist - the cost difference isn't significant....

If you like the D50 - buy it. If you like the D70 - buy it. They are both
excellent cameras that will produce excellent results....!

PC

Old September 8th 05, 04:52 PM
Tony Polson

Proconsul wrote:

What you don't want to deal with is the fact that the D50 as
presented/bundled makes no sense

To you, maybe. But very little seems to make any sense to you, so
welcome to my kill file.

Old September 8th 05, 07:13 PM
DoN. Nichols

According to DD (Rox) :

[ ... D50 vs D70 vs D70s snipped ... ]

The only thing about the D70 that makes it fall short of being perfect
(IMO) is the 1.5x crop and the fact that you can't use the camera's
meter when using older MF lenses.

Hmm ... an additional caveat needs to be added to that last one,
as I *am* using a nice 180mm f2.8 manual focus lens with the D70's
metering. However -- it had to be converted (have a "chip" added), and
the fellow who does that will only convert certain lenses -- partially
because Nikon offers no equivalent aperture lens with chips (as the
chips come from Nikon), and partially because some lenses offer
insufficient room for the chip.

This is unfortunate, as I have several lenses which I would like
to have chips added to which are not on his current list.

The only minor niggle about the 180mm f2.8 is that it tells the
camera that it is a 300mm f2.8 instead. Not reallly a problem as long
as I don't have a real 300mm chipped lens anyway, so confusion is
eliminated. Now -- it *might* cause some minor problems with flash, but
I tend not to use flash with things far enough away so the 300mm is the
proper choice anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old September 9th 05, 01:29 AM
Gardner

Tony Polson writes:

If the OP is choosing between the D50 and D70s, and cannot afford the
D70s, the D50 is the only choice.

Lets have another look at the subject shall we?

Subject: Nikon D50 vs D70 (Not D70s)

Gardner Buchanan
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.
Old September 9th 05, 05:46 AM
Sheldon

"rw" wrote in message
ups.com...

Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
range).

Thanks, rw

Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and appreciate
everyone's respone.

The D70 has been around for awhile and has proven itself to be real
workhorse. Also, you can upgrade the BIOS to match the new D70s, although
you can't make the rear LCD bigger. The D70 and kit lens is a great combo,
as the lens is great and gets good reviews. And the larger CF memory cards
are bulletproof.

I've heard the D50 has been tweaked to give the user more of a snappy point
and shoot image, but it would be impossible to go wrong with the D70,
especially if you already have any Nikon lenses. Pretty much every AI lens
and up will work, you just can't use all the cameras functions or meter.

The D70 also has a rear and front mounted control wheel, which a lot of
people like. The D50 only has one wheel.

All that said, the images from both cameras, given the same lenses, should
be equal or damn close.

Old September 9th 05, 06:23 AM
DD (Rox)

In article , says...
[...]

I remember seeing that guys website. He seems to come across as rather
arrogant.

Anyway, lenses I would love to use on my D70 are the 105mm f/2.5, 24mm
f/2.8 and the E-Series 75-150 (which I am looking to win on eBay). I
also see loads of other bargains like the 200mm f/2 going for a song.

Then there is also the option of getting a D2h or D1x instead.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za