Photographing birds in flight

Old April 5th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Default Photographing birds in flight

2b. I know the 30D can follow soaring birds and keep focus. (Take a
look at:

Sorry to follow up on my own post. In response to people who have
asked, I've posted some close-ups on:

http://www.posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/Page1.html
and
http://www.posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/Page2.html

and moved the other pages, so the owl- and hawk-series pages are now:

http://www.posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/Page3.html
and
http://www.posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/Page4.html

BTW, for a good reason NOT to use JPEG, take a look at the bottom
picture on

http://www.posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/Page1.html

( http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/pix/14.jpg - 100K ). Notice
the blue hues around the green leaves. There was no blue in the
original picture. Sigh.

-Joel

Old April 7th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature
Paul Furman

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

[...]

Nice shots but I don't know why a jpeg would produce those blues... that
doesn't sound right?
Old April 7th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature
ASAAR

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 18:23:11 GMT, Paul Furman wrote:

( http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/pix/14.jpg - 100K ). Notice
the blue hues around the green leaves. There was no blue in the
original picture. Sigh.

Nice shots but I don't know why a jpeg would produce those blues...
that doesn't sound right?

I don't think it's a jpeg produced artifact. You often get color
fringing when objects have an intensely bright background, such as
the sky, and better lenses produce less of it. The blue in this
shot is probably so easily noticed because it covers a greater area
due to being considerably out of focus. I've noticed CA having
several different colors, sometimes blue, sometimes purple, yellow
or orange. The glossary entry (link below) mentions that CA often
increases when a lens is used at its widest, and that the commonly
noticed "purple fringing" is probably more due to the sensor's
microlenses than a result of the lens's design.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...rration_01.htm

Old April 7th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature
Frank ess

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 18:23:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Paul Furman
wrote:

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

( http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/pix/14.jpg - 100K ).
Notice
the blue hues around the green leaves. There was no blue in the
original picture. Sigh.

Nice shots but I don't know why a jpeg would produce those blues...
that doesn't sound right?

I've seen something similar , even in raw files from a D70 processed
by RSE. Probably a bit of bloomimg/CA?

I'll conject it's the blue sky, un-overexposed by diminution of
intensity by the palm-frond filter.

Similar effect: Overexposed out of the direct sun, greater color
saturation under the shade of the pier.
http://www.fototime.com/8D5F43553123D59/orig.jpg

--
Frank ess

Old April 7th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature
\(The real\) Douglas[_36_]

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message
: On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 18:23:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Paul Furman
: wrote:
:
: Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
:
: ( http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/pix/14.jpg - 100K ). Notice
: the blue hues around the green leaves. There was no blue in the
: original picture. Sigh.
:
: Nice shots but I don't know why a jpeg would produce those blues... that
: doesn't sound right?
:
: I've seen something similar , even in raw files from a D70 processed by
: RSE. Probably a bit of bloomimg/CA?
: --
: Ed Ruf )
: http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

I can get that effect with 5D if I use a cheap, long lens wide open and the
foliage is backlit.I always thought it was Chromatic Aberration. Just out of
focus like the rest of the area.

Old April 8th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

: ( http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/pix/14.jpg - 100K ). Notice
: the blue hues around the green leaves. There was no blue in the
: original picture. Sigh.

I can get that effect with 5D if I use a cheap, long lens wide open and the
foliage is backlit.I always thought it was Chromatic Aberration. Just out of
focus like the rest of the area.

Hmm. It's with the Canon 17-85 IS USM (f/8, 1/640, ISO 500), not a
great lens, but not a cheap one, either.

A long time ago someone posted a digital way of eliminating or
reducing CA, but I've lost the link. My guess is that whatever
digital magic does this won't work with out-of-focus CA, but I'd be
curious to find out. If someone has access to this anti-CA filter,
feel free to play around with the image and post what you learn....

-Joel

EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com

Old April 8th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature
Minjerribah

: EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com
:
Look for "Flo's tools" This Frenchman has produced a really nice set of very
useful tools which are camera make independent, they just need a PS
compatible program to use as a host.