Ctein reviews UC 100/400, Portra 800

Old September 24th 04, 04:36 PM
Bill Tuthill

Default Ctein reviews UC 100/400, Portra 800

The September/October 2004 issue of Photo Techniques magazine
contains a Ctein review of these new films.

He doesn't have anything terribly new to say about the UC films,
but considering that I had given up on Portra 800, I found his
remarks about it interesting. Sounds like Portra 800 is currently
the best C-41 film for push processing:

"improved speed in the blue sensitive layer [which helps for]
incandescent light."

With 50% added development time (push 2 processing) Portra 800:

"easily gained a full 1/2 stop of shadow speed and enough
additional contrast to yield good prints from one-stop-underexposed
negatives. Even with push processing, [Portra 800 held its
speed advantage over NPZ].

"Push processing... increases the grain in NPZ much more than
it does in the improved Portra 800. On average, pushed Portra 800
has finer grain, [although] some tones and colors still had
finer grain in pushed NPZ.

"I prefer the [lower] contrast of Portra 800 to Fuji NPZ's
slightly punchy look.

"[Unpushed] NPZ was the clear winner [for color fidelity. However]
push-processed Portra 800 came out much better. Its contrast and
saturation went up with pushing, but no so much as Fuji NPZ's.
Portra 800 wound up with healthy improvements in color saturation,
although flesh tones and greens turned out more poorly than in
unpushed film. In comparison, Fuji NPZ picked up so much contrast
and saturation that its color was garish and unrealistic. It also
showed more color crossover with push processing than Portra 800 did."

Just in time for Nutcracker season!

Old September 24th 04, 08:43 PM
Gregory Blank

Bill Tuthill wrote:

The September/October 2004 issue of Photo Techniques magazine
contains a Ctein review of these new films.

Just in time for Nutcracker season!

Lots of latitude in that statement Bill. (Pun intended) :-)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918