Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera

Old August 14th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Robert Haar

Default Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera

On 8/13/07 1:49 AM, "RPS" wrote:

I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
tells me it doesn't exit! Great.

So which of the following features would you give up in a travel camera
if it were your only camera:

1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.

Define "big pocket." I travel with a Nikon D200 and several lenses,
including a 80-200 f2.8 telephoto. I have had jackets with pockets big
enough to hold this combination. I wouldn't choose to travel that way, but
YMMV.

2. At least 28mm at the wide end.

Not wide enough. My walk-around lens is 18-70 and sometimes I wish I had a
wider one.

3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)

About right, although I do have a 400 that I use of nature photos.

4. IS

Up to 200 mm, not at all important. Having a fast lens is much better IMO.

5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.

And then some

6. Optical View Finder.

Absolute must.

How about a D40 with a 18-200 AF-S lens. Not VR but you can probably get by
without it. If you really want VR, try the Nikon 55-200 VR.

Old August 14th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Ron Hunter

AlexZ wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
: RPS wrote:
: Ron Hunter wrote:
:
: : 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
: : 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
: : 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
: : 4. IS
: : 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
: : 6. Optical View Finder.
: :
: : OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
: : most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
:
: : Numbers 4 and 5, and probably 2. Good optical zoom is pretty important
: : for travel pictures, and taking pictures in bright sun with most LCD
: : displays is pretty difficult.
:
: Thanks. The camera meeting these criteria is Canon G7 (lacks #s 2,5).
:
: If my #5 you mean shooting mode, you'd better re-read the spec sheet.

Right. The G7 only lacks #2 (28mm), and maybe #1 (although it is
classified as "compact"), but does have manual controls.

Nice specs, and looks little, if any, larger than my current P&S, which
is about as large as I am going to carry when traveling.