Tricky shot of an old church

Old November 16th 05, 01:01 AM
Scott W

Default Tricky shot of an old church

We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.
Today I got one that I am pretty happy with.

This is the view of the church from across the street, as you can see
there are power lines everywhere and very little room in the
churchyard.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/27837752/large

A very wide angle shot is needed with perspective correction, this is
what I got today.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/52319986/original
The black rectangle is a crop area the 100% view of it is here.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/52319988/original

This is a 75 MP image with lots of detail, something I was going after.

To view the whole image you can go here, this uses Zoomify, which lets
you pan and zoom
http://www.sewcon.com/church/

Scott

Old November 16th 05, 02:11 AM
Lorem Ipsum

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.

Learn how to use a view camera.

Old November 16th 05, 06:49 AM
Scott W

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.

Learn how to use a view camera.

Well there are aspects of the photo that I am not totally happy with,
like the cars in the foreground, but it is hard to ask them to be moved
for the photo. Then the sun is too high for a really good photo, but
there are large trees to the south that shade the church when the sun
goes down even a bit. But over all I was happy to get a shot that
pretty much shows of a beautiful church that is vary hard to capture in
a photograph.

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Hi Scott

I agree with the cars in the foreground - they are very distracting
which is a shame because the church is attractive as you say.

I think the wide angle adds something to the photo anyway. Particularly
with the partly clouded sky.

Overall, a good job on a tough picture - but then aren't they the most
satisfying?

Old November 17th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Scott W wrote:

We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.
Today I got one that I am pretty happy with. [...]

What medium format or large format camera did you use?

Old November 17th 05, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.

Learn how to use a view camera.

Well Lorem, we'll have to bring you up-to-date.

Now that we have digital images, we don't need the moving
lens boards of view cameras. We can run processing algorithms
on the digital image that do the same thing that the slide and
tilt of the lens board did on the old view cameras.

If you use the GIMP, try out the "twist" filter. I'm sure that
Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, and other programs have similar
features.

Alan

Old November 17th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

so.foxy wrote:
Hi Scott

I agree with the cars in the foreground - they are very distracting
which is a shame because the church is attractive as you say.

I think the wide angle adds something to the photo anyway. Particularly
with the partly clouded sky.

Overall, a good job on a tough picture - but then aren't they the most
satisfying?

This church is my test, as I get better I get better photos of it. I
am sure I will be taking many more photos of it over the years,
hopefully with improvement over time. Next time I go to photograph it
I hope the cars will be gone, unlikely to get that lucky.

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Recently, Alan Meyer posted:

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.

Learn how to use a view camera.

Well Lorem, we'll have to bring you up-to-date.

Now that we have digital images, we don't need the moving
lens boards of view cameras. We can run processing algorithms
on the digital image that do the same thing that the slide and
tilt of the lens board did on the old view cameras.

Oh? How do you adjust the field of focus with processing algorithms?

Neil

Old November 17th 05, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.

Learn how to use a view camera.

Well Lorem, we'll have to bring you up-to-date.

Now that we have digital images, we don't need the moving
lens boards of view cameras. We can run processing algorithms
on the digital image that do the same thing that the slide and
tilt of the lens board did on the old view cameras.

You are unfortunately misinformed. You cannot replicate the complete
functions of a view camera with postprocessing.

Old November 17th 05, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Alan Meyer posted:

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.

Learn how to use a view camera.

Well Lorem, we'll have to bring you up-to-date.

Now that we have digital images, we don't need the moving
lens boards of view cameras. We can run processing algorithms
on the digital image that do the same thing that the slide and
tilt of the lens board did on the old view cameras.

Oh? How do you adjust the field of focus with processing algorithms?

Neil

For portrait work I can see where that could be an issue but not so
much for landscape and architectural work.

Scott