What film for landscape and why?

Old November 16th 05, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default What film for landscape and why? - Acros

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

And, please explain how you can get great sports photos with your view
camera..or extreme close-ups of inaccessible areas...

No problem. For sports, I'll use the Super-Technika and 360mm lens.

And while you're still changing holders, I have taken 5 or more shots,
advancing my film with a stroke of my thumb

A Real Photographer doesn't need to take but a couple shots.

Rugby games go on for hours. You never know when you may get an even
better shot...even if you get a good one early on..

Old November 17th 05, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

First off, cheese is best eaten cold. Or fresh & warm. Fresh curds
rule.
Sports/PJ? You've seen the great PJ work with a Speed Graphic of the
Hindenberg.
For closeups, just put on a 75mm Tominon and extend to 150mm for
1:1 macro work.
You can get your shots by the random shot-gun approach. That is, by
accident. I'll get mine by intent.
The lens I'd really like is one of those Super Symmar XL thingies. But
@ $2000 it's
out of my budget. Much the same pricing as many over-priced Leica
lenses.

Cheesehead
(Going to Wisconsin this weekend & buying lots of curds. So don't be
jealous.)

Old November 27th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:42:13 -0600, Cheesehead
wrote:

You gonna show of you big lens for postagae stamp negs again?
Get a 4x5 and shoot real pictures! :0

Surely you mean a 5X7 !

John S. Douglas, Photographer & Webmaster
http://www.puresilver.org - http://www.legacy-photo.com

Old November 29th 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, but I can get more out of that postage stamp than most people can
out of large format.

Challenge! I love it. High noon by the clock tower. Seriously, make my
day. SHOW ME!

Or shut the **** up.

Old November 30th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Remember this (but you already know them), my little bald friend:
a) Composition is everything.
b) The detail captured is only a component of the composition.

Leading to these conclusions ...
a) The larger the neg, with quality lenses on either a given, the
better the perspective and rendering of reality.
b) Yes, a good 135 composition is more useful than a poor 4x5
composition.
c) But a good composition in 4x5 beats a good composition in 135 in
most respects.

Behold the power of Cheeseheads

Old December 1st 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Cheesehead wrote:
Remember this (but you already know them), my little bald friend:
a) Composition is everything.

When you have lots of time, it's easy. How well can you compose when
you have 2 seconds?

b) The detail captured is only a component of the composition.

?????

Old December 1st 05, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

to a)
PJ work is dependent on a readiness for an unpredictable event.
That's why I don't do it. Some do it with excellence.
But it's a venue to which I am not suited.
And it's really an inferior form of photography.

to b)
Seems clear to me.
Resolution is not composition and does not determine composition.
It's merely a feature.

Collin

Old December 2nd 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Note the smiley following the original statement.

But really, isn't great PJ work clearly differentiated from great art?
And isn't PJ work really a product of our dysfunctional culture where
we look for the emotion of the moment?
There's little long-range thinking in that behavior. Isn't it then by
definition an existentialist expression?

Collin