Contact paper question

Old February 16th 04, 03:16 PM
Gregory W Blank

Default Contact paper question

In article ,
"Reciprocity Failure" wrote:

I should add that Michael Smith recommends highly dilute selenium to remove
the greenish cast, something like 1:120. I never tried that, I used a
stronger combintation, something like 1:10. Possibly if I had tried his
recommendation the timing wouldn't have been so critical (I forget now why I
didn't try it). As I'm sure others must have told you, Michael Smith is the
source for Azo paper and also the fount of much available knowledge about
it. You can find out a lot of information by visiting his web site.

Selenium toning using:

1to 64, 1to 32 both dilutions produce nice results for removing the green cast.

1 to 10 is excessive for most papers, in my experience.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old February 16th 04, 11:41 PM
Dan Quinn

"Reciprocity Failure" wrote

...Michael Smith is the source for Azo paper...

M. Smith is one source for Azo. At least B&H is another.
I'm glad to see there is a nice selection of contact papers on
the market once again. I've a mind to try the direct negative method.
Although projection speed papers can be used so too can contact
speed emulsions. Dan
Old February 17th 04, 01:22 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
"Reciprocity Failure" wrote:

1 to 10 is excessive for most papers, in my experience.

"Excessive" in what way? In other words, what bad thing happen with that
dilution in your experience? I think I started using that dilution at 4
minutes with Polymax Fine Art paper after reading test results for DMax with
that paper (and others) published by Fred Newman in a Photo Techniques
magazine article several years ago. I believe that dilution for that time
produced optimum DMax according to his tests with Polymax Fine Art but it's
been a while and my memory could be wrong.

For one thing it tones the paper too fast, getting subtle tone change
then is at risk. I use 1to 64, 1to 32 for very subtle change over three minutes.

My experience it that the dmax is better controlled with contrast filteration or development-
exposure in the case of Azo not by toning methodology, excessive contrast change as a result
of toning produces weird contrast. If thats what you want so be it. The whole point of Azo is subtle
tonality, and its a different game than projection printing-apples to apples I say.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old February 17th 04, 02:00 AM
sympatico.ca

B&H has older stock or is getting it from some outsource, or is
just plain competing with Michael.

If you want the paper to be available in the future I suggest getting it
from Michael.
--

If you are north of the border you can order Azo in gde 2 8x10 at least (and
possibly other sizes) in Canada (hence no customs hassles) from

You can also get lots of 5x7 Ilford film etc from them too

Old February 17th 04, 04:09 AM
John

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:00:52 -0700, "sympatico.ca"
wrote:

You can also get lots of 5x7 Ilford film etc from them too

Delta 400 ? I know it's available in the 13X18 in EU but not
imported here into the states as far as I can tell.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old February 17th 04, 04:56 AM
sympatico.ca

wrote:

You can also get lots of 5x7 Ilford film etc from them too

Delta 400 ? I know it's available in the 13X18 in EU but not
imported here into the states as far as I can tell.

Sorry - Ilford basically canned Delta 400 in sheet sizes some time ago

Old February 20th 04, 09:05 PM
Dan Quinn

Gregory W Blank wrote

Dan Quinn wrote:

Fortezo does list a contact speed paper. Likely Europe is the
only source.

Bad info: It can be gotten and is distributed in the USA.

Would you care to name a source?

In all my shopping for papers from Freestyle on the West and
B&H on the East, I've not seen a Forte contact paper listed. Dan