Tri-X

Old October 23rd 04, 02:10 AM
Douglas

"No One" wrote in message

"Douglas" wrote in message
"Jos. Burke" wrote:
Back on track though---Bruce-- Whats the cost of 8x10 Tri-X in Canada
as
opposed to here in the US? If it reflects the drug cost situation then
may need to buy from your source and how about HP-5 from the Canadian
side?
George Bush and his constituents/contributors may not appreciate that
but I
don't appreciate him/them either!!
Actually-I'm currently buying the Arista labeled Ilford HP5 but I'd be
very interested in your source price for a box (25 sh) of 8x10 Ilford
HP-5!!
J Burke

LOL, what a great response!

Sorry Jos film is not a drug - only drugs are cheaper in Canada! Well ...
probably maple syrup too. Now, if you'd like, I'm willing to barter a
perfectly good dose Canadian flu vaccine for say... 2 boxes of Arista
8x10/25 ... now that's a bargain! Hey, but film is less expensive in the
US! Apparently film manufactures think Canadians can afford the higher
prices (in that respect their pricing is sorta similar to the US
pharmaceutical industry for Americans). I too have been buying Arista
8x10 for years now & I'm sure I'm not the only Canuck to be doing so.
Ilford HP5+ 8x10/25 is about C$87 in Canada, but they're probably out of
stock anyway.

It's a ridiculous world!

Douglas
Ottawa, Ontario

My experience is that film is cheaper in Canada. Unless you get the used
stuff they sell on eBay once in a while.

We also have cheaper drugs (often free.) The US has some great buildings
and signs.

Shhh! You're going to get us in trouble! I don't know where you are... but
do you want the 82nd airborne sitting on your lawn in the morning?

Old October 23rd 04, 02:54 AM
Douglas

"No One" wrote:
My experience is that film is cheaper in Canada. Unless you get the used
stuff they sell on eBay once in a while.

We also have cheaper drugs (often free.) The US has some great buildings
and signs.

OK, you're still going to get us in trouble, but now I know where you are.
Your work is riveting. I really like it.

Now for everyone south of us: I'll clear up this question of cheaper drugs &
film - No one, in Canada thinks drugs and film is cheaper than in the US.
There!

Who's on first?

Old October 23rd 04, 03:53 PM
No One

"Douglas" wrote in message

"No One" wrote:
My experience is that film is cheaper in Canada. Unless you get the used
stuff they sell on eBay once in a while.

We also have cheaper drugs (often free.) The US has some great buildings
and signs.

OK, you're still going to get us in trouble, but now I know where you are.
Your work is riveting. I really like it.

Now for everyone south of us: I'll clear up this question of cheaper drugs
& film - No one, in Canada thinks drugs and film is cheaper than in the
US. There!

Yes, maybe you are right. Film is more expensive in Canada. $159CDN is more
than the $141USD @ B&H.

Drugs is another matter. The current massive influx of US citizens for flue
shots and prescription drugs is a great boom to our tourism. Local live
theater is offering specials - valium and a broadway style play (Mamma Mia)
for a couple of dollars. Then there are the trains being chartered from
Florida to Toronto - The RX Express.

Old October 23rd 04, 04:05 PM
No One

"Douglas" wrote in message

"No One" wrote:
My experience is that film is cheaper in Canada. Unless you get the used
stuff they sell on eBay once in a while.

We also have cheaper drugs (often free.) The US has some great buildings
and signs.

OK, you're still going to get us in trouble, but now I know where you are.
Your work is riveting. I really like it.

Now for everyone south of us: I'll clear up this question of cheaper drugs
& film - No one, in Canada thinks drugs and film is cheaper than in the
US. There!

"And just look at other countries that have tried to have federally
controlled health care. They have poor-quality health care.

Our health-care system is the envy of the world because we believe in making
sure that the decisions are made by doctors and patients, not by officials
in the nation's capital."

Well that guy ought to know.

Where can you get that Arista film?

Old October 23rd 04, 06:29 PM
Argon3

Now for everyone south of us: I'll clear up this question of cheaper drugs &

film - No one, in Canada thinks drugs and film is cheaper than in the US.
There! BRBR

No fooling. Several years back I went to the off-license in Victoria BC and
bought a six pack and a pack of Marlboros and the bill was something like $15
Canadian (can't remember the exchange rate back then but it wasn't as
"advantageous" to a US'ers than it has been recently). Took the swag back to
the hotel and told my wife, "Well, here's your big night out in Canada."
I figured that the health system was supported by the taxes on booze and
smokes...thus giving me an understanding of many of the "Bob and Doug MacKenzie
jokes" that SCTV laid on us.
We all love and respect Canada around here (my house, anyway) and if we can
ever help smuggle some 8X10 across the border to help out our Canadian
brethren, I say we go for it...but then I come from Chicago where Al Capone
benefited immeasurably from the fine Canadian hooch that he managed to smuggle
across the border.
You Canucks better watch it...if Bush wins again, you may have a sudden influx
of refugees from "down south".

best,

argon
Old October 23rd 04, 07:27 PM
Douglas

"Argon3" wrote:
[...]

C$15 for a six pack & smokes! That would be a bargain today.
Yes, we do pay for the health system here and many of the other benefits of
being a Canadian. They tax the delightful sins at a terrific rate. However,
one does make a choice.

The prohibition example is very pertinent. There have been numerous examples
where the US & Canada have 'nicely' offset each others periodic excessive
practices to the benefit of all. The differential in pharmaceutical drugs is
a current example, running through this thread. It won't last - American
prices for pharmaceuticals will have to come down. With an aging population,
the US administration (whoever they are) will get 'canned' if they allow the
US premium pricing practice to continue. The diff in cost, to individuals
who's lives depend upon it, is too large. State gov are already rebelling.
They're really exposed on this one right before an election. The lunacy of
Washington's position is obvious when they're now looking for help with the
flu vaccine supply issues. They are vulnerable on the supply problem but
much more so on the larger issue of defending US pharmaceutical pricing.
It's not credible to decide that Canadian pharmaceuticals are only 'safe'
when there is a supply problem but not when there is a pricing problem.

Canadian photographers benefit because we can shop the largest marketplace
in the world for everything photographic. Even without smuggling film across
the border we benefit the same as you.

Nah... whether Bush or Kerry wins - you probably don't want our tax load.
But we need a larger pop base (IMO) so feel free - you're welcome.