Results of 150mm Apo-Sironar N Lens for Copy Work (Versus Tominon)

Old February 17th 04, 02:21 AM
Dr. Slick

Default Results of 150mm Apo-Sironar N Lens for Copy Work (Versus Tominon)

Hi,

Ok, i took trannies at f16, f22, and f32 (11 sec). And with the
Apo-Sironar N, the f32 looked the sharpest. The brochure said f16-22
would be the
sharpest, so i don't know if this one pic was a fluke.
But it's surprising considering the risk of camera shake at such a
long exposure time.

Even at f22, the Apo-Sironar was a tiny bit sharper than the
Tominon 127mm.
But it really is a bit hard to tell, even with my 10x loupe...perhaps
the difference will be more noticable when i scan it, but the Tominon
is pretty close. Interesting Note: The Schneider Xenar was STILL
sharper in the center of the field! I will definitely keep the Xenar
for 6x6 film work.

I will use the Apo-Sironar trannies, as they are the most sharp
and even overall.

BUT, would it really be worth spending $450-550 for a used
Apo-Sironar, versus the $40-60 of a Tominon? I dunno if it's really
worth it, to tell the truth!

The other one i was considering was a Rodenstock 127mm, f4.7-45,
in a prontor i believe? I local repair shop wants $195 for it...

Slick
Old February 17th 04, 02:38 AM
Stacey

Dr. Slick wrote:

The other one i was considering was a Rodenstock 127mm, f4.7-45,
in a prontor i believe? I local repair shop wants $195 for it...

That's the same lens as the tominon, if it's a ysaron, except it's made by
rodenstock. I've only used the 105mm version on 6X9 but it's a nice close
up lens as well.

And you're right I don't think an APO-sironar-n is worth the price
difference. For $60 the tominon is hard to beat.

--

Stacey
Old February 17th 04, 09:34 PM
Dr. Slick

Bob Salomon wrote in message ...

The Apo Sironar N is corrected for working ranges from 1:10 to infinity.
It was not made to be a copy lens. For superior copying results you will
need either the Apo Ronar at f22 or an Apo Macro Sironar at 1:5 to 5:1.

The Apo Ronar's smallest focal length is 240mm, which might be a
bit too long for my Crown Graphic? In terms of bellows draw?

S.
Old February 18th 04, 12:54 PM
Dr. Slick

Bob Salomon wrote in message ...

The Apo Ronar's smallest focal length is 240mm, which might be a
bit too long for my Crown Graphic? In terms of bellows draw?

S.

The shortest Apo Ronar was a 150 which may cover depending on your
magnification range.

I didn't see this one in the brochure, and i couldn't find one
this short on Ebay. Perhaps they don't make them anymore?