75 percent of Ikea catalog images are CGI

Old February 9th 19, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

Default 75 percent of Ikea catalog images are CGI

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:30:13 -0000, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article ,
RichA says...

Seems only fair. Since about the same amount of product there isn't Swedish, it's Chinese.

https://petapixel.com/2014/08/28/fli...raphy-see-cgi/

To a certain it's the future of photography. Image processing software
adding computer generated content to photos to enhance them. Photos
taken by cameras won't go away, they will be enhanced by software.

But it's lying. I want to buy what I see.
Old February 9th 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 2/9/19 9:04 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:30:13 -0000, Alfred Molon

RichA says...

Seems only fair.* Since about the same amount of product there isn't
Swedish, it's Chinese.

https://petapixel.com/2014/08/28/fli...raphy-see-cgi/

To a certain it's the future of photography. Image processing software
adding computer generated content to photos to enhance them. Photos
taken by cameras won't go away, they will be enhanced by software.

But it's lying.* I want to buy what I see.

It's an ethical conundrum.

Suppose Ikea has a common table. The photographer shoots it on a green
screen (or white or black background). The art director decides it would
look better in a dining room, so he drops the table into a stock photo.
The table is still as it was when photographed, only the surroundings
are changed. And you are not buying the surroundings, only the table. Is
it lying? It could have been photographed in that dining room, but for
economy and efficiency, it was not.

Suppose the art director decides that table would look better in the
well of the US Senate, so he drops it into a stock photo of the US
Senate chamber.

In my opinion, the first example is acceptable, the second crosses a
line. The difference being that the first photo could have existed, the
second not so likely.

Let's go back to the first example. Now, the art director decides the
table needs a floral centerpiece and some dinner settings, so he drops
them in. (These items may be Ikea products also.) Again, the table could
have been photographed this way originally, but it would have cost more.
You are still buying the table (and perhaps the items on the table),
they look just like in the photo, just not all combined.

Where does "enhancement" become "lying"?

--
Ken Hart

Old February 9th 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Suppose Ikea has a common table. The photographer shoots it on a green
screen (or white or black background). The art director decides it would
look better in a dining room, so he drops the table into a stock photo.
The table is still as it was when photographed, only the surroundings
are changed. And you are not buying the surroundings, only the table. Is
it lying? It could have been photographed in that dining room, but for
economy and efficiency, it was not.

given that ikea's app does that and more, they are perfectly happy with
whatever you want to call it.

no green screen required. that's the old school way.

a couple of taps and anyone can preview their products in their home,
office or some other setting.

https://i1.wp.com/digiday.com/wp-con...IKEA_AR_APP_PL
ACE_Master_still_7-4.jpg
https://media.wired.com/photos/59c17...aster/pass/ike
apleace-FA.jpg
Old February 10th 19, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 2/9/2019 9:04 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:30:13 -0000, Alfred Molon

RichA says...

Seems only fair.* Since about the same amount of product there isn't
Swedish, it's Chinese.

https://petapixel.com/2014/08/28/fli...raphy-see-cgi/

To a certain it's the future of photography. Image processing software
adding computer generated content to photos to enhance them. Photos
taken by cameras won't go away, they will be enhanced by software.

But it's lying.* I want to buy what I see.

Why would you have a problem with it if the object you want to buy is
accurately represented? I would think that if it is *not* accurately
represented it doesn't matter how that came to be. In other words, this
isn't really a photographic matter, it's an ethical issue.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old February 11th 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 06:30:38 -0500, Neil
wrote:

On 2/9/2019 9:04 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:30:13 -0000, Alfred Molon

RichA says...

Seems only fair.Â* Since about the same amount of product there isn't
Swedish, it's Chinese.

https://petapixel.com/2014/08/28/fli...raphy-see-cgi/

To a certain it's the future of photography. Image processing software
adding computer generated content to photos to enhance them. Photos
taken by cameras won't go away, they will be enhanced by software.

But it's lying.Â* I want to buy what I see.

Why would you have a problem with it if the object you want to buy is
accurately represented? I would think that if it is *not* accurately
represented it doesn't matter how that came to be. In other words, this
isn't really a photographic matter, it's an ethical issue.

It isn't even an ethical issue. It's just another step along the away
from the wood cuts you used to see in the old mail order catalogues.
They went on via drawings to paintings and now onto an even cheaper
and easier way of showing the customer what it is they might be
buying. The next steps will be via virtual reality.

Eric Stevens