Olympus Refurb camera hell... suggestions?

Old December 30th 04, 09:21 AM
Cynthia P

Default Olympus Refurb camera hell... suggestions?

This is my first purchase of a refurbished camera of any sort...
barring a few flea market finds of the past where I was able to
inspect the camera (Zeiss Ikonta, Yashica Mat-124).

Anyway, to be on the safe side, I bought from Olympus America auctions
on eBay.

First C-5050 camera kit arrives.

Marks on the front element of the lens
Missing hot shoe cover
Lens cap string broken
Incorrect remote included

I send it back, because I don't want a lens with marred optical
coating or scratches if I can avoid it. Not for $470 at any rate!.

Second C-5050 kit arrives.

Badly scratched viewfinder (the main issue)
Tiny marks on the front element of the lens
Missing RM-1 remote entirely.
Alkaline batteries substituted for a set of NiMH rechargeables that
the camera is supposed to come with.

I posted here before I decided to buy refurb... and most people seemed
to have had good experiences and also felt that at least any refurb
camera would have been inspected. But at this point, I'm beginning to
have my doubts about that. Or, if the cameras are being inspected, the
kits sure as heck aren't!

So, my question is, does anyone know a place I can find an Olympus
C-5050 new for around $550 or less? If I can find a new one, I might
be willing to go that route and return my Olympus auctions kit for a
refund instead of another exchange even though it costs me more.

Or should I just keep exchanging until I get a decent camera?

Will Olympus stop letting me exchange at any point? Their policy is no
questions asked, but you have to wonder if there is a limit. Plus,
with them sending me TWO kits so far that have had missing items,
might they think I am taking the stuff?

It's disconcerting to say the least and very disappointing. Yet, I've
been very happy with the Olympus cameras I've owned in the past and
currently. But all of them were bought new.

Or am I just being too picky on a refurb camera?

The auction ads say the refurbs will be functionally like new... with
perhaps some scuffs or marks on the body. To me though, lens,
viewfinder, LCD are all items that contribute to function and should
not be damaged.

Cynthia