Another Newbie

Old September 13th 04, 04:48 AM
Saint Chris

Default Another Newbie

Hello All...I have copied a bunch of Photography Newsgroups in on this only
because of my limited time and lack of knowledge with not only Newsgroups
but also Photography.

Here is my scoop. I just got married yesterday (thank you) and we are
preparing for our trip to Bora Bora (www.boraboralgoon.com). I do not want
to spoil this oppertunity to take some fantastic pictures so I am asking all
the questions now. Hopefully you can all respond to this message and help
me out. I leave on Wednesday (September 15) and I am hoping to get
everything I need before I leave.

My Equipment is (don't laugh I am new):
- Canon Rebel Ti with standard lense (28-90)
- Sigma Lense (70-300 F4-5.6II with Marco Super)
- Standard Tripod

My questions a
1. For going to Bora Bora what type of lenses should I have to capture
the beauty?
2. Hints for Aperature and Shutter speed.
3. Trying to capture Fish etc through the water.
4. ANYTHING IS APPRECIATED.

I love taking lanscape pictures and I hope to capture some sun falls and sun
rises, not to mention some pictures of my beautiful Bride.

PLEASE HELP....and quick. Price is of course an object so the best BANG for
the Buck is appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Old September 13th 04, 07:19 AM
William Graham

"Saint Chris" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
[...]

With only two days left before you leave, I wouldn't buy any new equipment
now.....Use what you've got, and already are familiar with. You've got all
the focal lengths covered, even if the optics aren the best, so you should
get some pretty good photos.........Save your money for film, and have a
good time.......

Old September 13th 04, 07:45 AM
Ivan

"William Graham" wrote in message
newsZa1d.291736$8_6.41826@attbi_s04...

[...]

As a newly wed I would be more inclined to focus almost entirely on your new
wife. Leave the long zoom at home (less equipment to babysit and haul
around) Take the short zoom and take lots of scenics with your wife in the
foreground. Concentrate on taking her portraits close up and full length.
Use the scenery as a back drop not as a focal point. She'll appreciate the
intimacy of being part of photos instead of watching as you compose and fret
over exposure.
That's just my two cents....trust me, I know women and pictures equally.
Ivan

Old September 13th 04, 08:03 AM
D.R.

"Ivan" wrote in message

[...]

Actually the Sigma 70-300 is quite good for informal portraits too. Although
90mm should be plenty if sharp at that end of the zoom If it's Canon I guess it
should be. ;-)

Hey Rob, be sure to post back afterward with some pics from your trip to
Borabora.

D.R.

Old September 13th 04, 08:33 AM
Nick C

[...]

You didn't say how long you'll be there but you should be aware that the
humidity level may still be high. I assume you'll be staying in an
air-conditioned hotel. It will be interesting to know how the Canon Rebel
functions.

There will be outdoor evening entertainment as well as indoor entertainment
and a 24mm or 20mm fast lens would come in handy. Usually, they don't allow
flash's to be used. Hope you have as least a polarize filter and a warming
filter. When taking pictures of the lush greenery or the resident people, a
warming filter would be an asset. The polarize filter would be an asset for
those long beach and over the water scenes.

nick

Old September 13th 04, 03:35 PM
dadiOH

Saint Chris wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with what you have? Personally, I'd lose the 70-300 and the
tripod..I like to travel light. Plus, if I were going there for a honeymoon
photography would be a distant second on my scale of things to do.
Regardless of lenses, have a polascreen that will fit all.
_____________

2. Hints for Aperature and Shutter speed.

What your meter tells you.
______________

3. Trying to capture Fish etc through the water.

The polascreen, assuming you don't want to mess with underwater photography.
The "etc" you mention are manta rays...lots of them in the lagoon.
_______________

I love taking lanscape pictures and I hope to capture some sun
falls and sun rises,

Bora Bora is quite small (18 sq.miles) so there isn't a whole lot in the way
of varied landscapes. Sun rises/sets in the tropics are brief.
Additionally, there will normally be a lack of clouds (which tend to make
them spectacular) toward the sun. That is because the clouds are generated
by warm, moist air rising over the mountains (small in Bora Bora) and they
dissipate quickly once they leave the high, cooler area.

Take some sunset pix but do spend some time just enjoying them with your new
wife and some mai tais.
______________

not to mention some pictures of my beautiful Bride.

Get her a pareau and concentrate on her

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...

Depth of Field Quest. From Newbie, Please Robert11 Digital Photography 34 August 31st 04 03:46 PM
Newbie Born Loser Digital Photography 22 August 23rd 04 08:41 PM
Newbie question: metering the GG MikeWhy Large Format Photography Equipment 4 February 2nd 04 04:55 AM