minolta maxxum 4 damaged?

Old September 12th 04, 08:08 PM
Andrea

Default minolta maxxum 4 damaged?

Recently the autofocus on my Minolta Maxxum 4 stopped working.
When I switch on autofocus, it will focus correctly, but the shutter
will not release and a dot is blinking in the viewfinder. I cannot
find helpful information in the camera manual. (And my knowledge about
cameras is limited although I am trying to change that)

Any suggestions what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot for any ideas.
Old September 12th 04, 08:47 PM
Alan Browne

Andrea wrote:

Recently the autofocus on my Minolta Maxxum 4 stopped working.
When I switch on autofocus, it will focus correctly, but the shutter
will not release and a dot is blinking in the viewfinder. I cannot
find helpful information in the camera manual. (And my knowledge about
cameras is limited although I am trying to change that)

Usually the blinking dot means focus not achieved and the shutter
release is disabled. Possible causes:

-light on subject is too low
-illuminator (AF assist) from camera is blocked by lens hood or hand
-subject offers no contrasting features that the AF needs to work
-subject is made of vertical or horizontal lines that confuse the af.
-subject is too close for the installed lens.

Old September 13th 04, 12:14 AM
William Graham

"Andrea" wrote in message
om...
Recently the autofocus on my Minolta Maxxum 4 stopped working.
When I switch on autofocus, it will focus correctly, but the shutter
will not release and a dot is blinking in the viewfinder. I cannot
find helpful information in the camera manual. (And my knowledge about
cameras is limited although I am trying to change that)

Any suggestions what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

It sounds like it might be in some kind of full automatic mode that refuses
to fire the shutter unless the scene is focused to the camera's
satisfaction. Try putting it in a lesser mode, such as manual or aperture
priority, and see if it does the same thing.......