Newbie question - Correct exposure for Velvia

Old September 13th 04, 01:43 AM
Bandicoot

"Martin Djernæs" wrote in message
Hi Alan,

Thanks again for you information. You have helped me a lot with this
thread and I'll try to use this information next time I'm at a "good
location".

Alan Browne wrote:
But read Bandicoot's "Exposing Velvia" reply before you take my advice.
Esp. where he talks about allowing a stop under exp in the foreground so
the shot does not look aretificial (unless you *want* that artificial
shot, of course!)

I read that thread as well, and have also noted his tips.

Martin

Hope we didn't disagree too much!

Peter

Old September 13th 04, 03:27 AM
Martin Djernæs

Bandicoot wrote:
Hope we didn't disagree too much!

Well, I don't think so, but it's really hard for us beginners to "guess"
the where to place an item in the 4-5 stop avalible. I understand your
idea about having the sky one stop (or more) lighter than the rest. This
is a good starting point for me. Alan also give some good starting
points in saying that he would open up 1 2/3 after meetering the white
of the mountain (I think I meetered, parial, the top of the mountain
using a 300mm lense and placed that at +1.5 - my camera only do half
stops). Given my five stops (actually I start thinking that it only was
four) from the mountain to the trees I could have, using your rule I
could have used a 4 stop (or 3) grad. Well I only have a 2 stop grad,
which would have helped me getting a better image than what I got,but I
didn't use it - I didn't "see" the way to use it when "seing" the scene.

This is what expierence is all about, but thanks to the both of you for
helping me see the reasons behind the result.

Martin

Old September 13th 04, 01:35 PM
Sander Vesik

Dmitry wrote:
Hi All,

I just shot my first roll of Velvia on my new (secondhand) F80. I
loved the colours, and the detail, especially on some close up flower
shots. However, the images were all underexposed. Very dark in the
shadows with little or no detail. I was using Aperture Priority
mostly, so the camera was choosing a shutter speed to provide what it
thought was a correct exposure. I was using 3d matrix metering and
mostly taking shots outside. I let the camera choose the film speed
via dx.

Is this normal? Is there a rule of thumb for getting a more even
exposure? Should I bracket my next film?

you can try it, it coudl hardly hurt.

I hope this isn't a dumb question, I'm new to photography, not just
velvia.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Marc

--