Rec.photo** hijack

Old September 10th 04, 03:37 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Dallas writes:

snip

I'm missing that thread, but I am curious: what the hell is a ZLR?

Zoom Lens Reflex. Shorthand for cameras like the Olympus E10 and E20,
which are real SLR's, but have a non-removable zoom lens. I think
Olympus makes some for film, too.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 10th 04, 05:35 PM
Bill Tuthill

Gordon Moat wrote:

I don't mind at all if a rec.photo.digital.slr group is created.
I think it would be a great place for many of those interested individuals
to go, and to leave r.p.e.35mm largely absent of direct digital SLR
discussions. I have no interest in participating in any digital news groups.

Of course r.p.d.slr makes sense, which is why I was surprised by RFD #4.
Also you are correct that most digicam owners don't understand the term
ZLR, let alone Rangefinder!

It might also make sense for the Shoot-In to move to a less-active group
such as rec.photo.technique.

Old September 10th 04, 06:44 PM
Peter Chant

Chris Brown writes:

It's what some people call the non-detachable lens SLRs made by Olympus.
It's also what some people call the "prosumer" digicams that use electronic
viewfinders and therefore aren't reflex cameras at all.

Just a though, especially in light of some discussion I had seen about
an electronic viewfinder being useless for manual focusing: why not have
a zoom button that allows the user to zoom in on the centre of the
image of a digical to allow accurate focusing. A bit like using the
magnifier on a waste level finder?

rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

That Epson thing and none else?

I don't think there are any more. I can see Voigtlander/Cosina coming out
with their own version of the Epson RD1 (it is based on their 35mm
rangefinders after all), and Leica are supposedly working on their own
digital RF body, but ISTM that these would be just as productively discussed
in the SLR group, even though they're not reflex cameras.

A devotees might like one, but I can't see the advantages in digital.
If you wish to prefocus just use focus lock. The abscense of mirror slap
and noise is rather moot on a digicam. Mind you, if someone wants to
give me an Epsom...

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old September 10th 04, 07:17 PM
Dallas

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:37:38 -0400, Stephen H. Westin wrote:

Dallas writes:

snip

I'm missing that thread, but I am curious: what the hell is a ZLR?

Zoom Lens Reflex. Shorthand for cameras like the Olympus E10 and E20,
which are real SLR's, but have a non-removable zoom lens. I think Olympus
makes some for film, too.

Yep, we definitely need a group for those.

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted

Old September 11th 04, 01:58 AM
jimkramer

"Peter Chant" wrote in message
Chris Brown writes:

It's what some people call the non-detachable lens SLRs made by Olympus.
It's also what some people call the "prosumer" digicams that use

electronic
viewfinders and therefore aren't reflex cameras at all.

Just a though, especially in light of some discussion I had seen about
an electronic viewfinder being useless for manual focusing: why not have
a zoom button that allows the user to zoom in on the centre of the
image of a digical to allow accurate focusing. A bit like using the
magnifier on a waste level finder?

Some do, but it isn't enough to do really accurate focusing.

Jim Kramer

Old September 11th 04, 03:38 PM
Peter Chant

"jimkramer" writes:

Some do, but it isn't enough to do really accurate focusing.

A bit odd. Is it the latency between adjusting the focus and the
image appearing in the veiwfinder too great?

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old September 12th 04, 03:46 AM
jimkramer

"jimkramer" writes:

Some do, but it isn't enough to do really accurate focusing.

A bit odd. Is it the latency between adjusting the focus and the
image appearing in the veiwfinder too great?

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

The resolution of the EVF just isn't enough to get a true feel for the fine
focus; it appears artificially sharp. The other killer is the near lack of
anything resembling an out of focus indication. Things just go slightly
soft, instead of being "really" out of focus, because of the shorter real
focal lengths of the small lens / sensor combinations being used. Sadly,
physics is against us in this endeavor.

Jim Kramer