How do you structure an album of photos

Old January 22nd 11, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob

Default How do you structure an album of photos

Firstly, each original photo (could be raw or jpg) need to be stored.

Some photos in the album needs to be hidden but not discarded. E.g. almost
duplicate shots, bad shots, embarassing shots, etc.

Sometimes there are edited copies (psd files) associated with each file.

Lastly, there should be a quick way to view an entire album that shows only
the final version (or the original file if unedited) of the non hidden
photos.

Let's say I start off putting all the files of the album in one folder.

Then I want to edit one of the file. If I put the edited psd in the same
folder, then viewing the thumbnails of this folder would show two versions
of this photo (the original and the edited one). If I put the edited psd in
a sub folder, then there is no easy way to view this album showing only the
last edit of each photo.

How do you do it?

Old January 22nd 11, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-21 20:26:08 -0800, "bob" said:

[...]

First you have not told us what cataloging software you are using.

If you are asking us what you could use, my advise is to get software
which will make cataloging simple for you. Lightroom 3 and/or CS5
(+Bridge) will do all you are asking and then some. You will also be
able to label and sort by type and key words.
There is also Apple's Aperture, but I understand it has similar
cataloging functions to Lightroom.

I suggest you visit the Adobe site and download the demo versions of
Lightroom 3, CS5 or Elements 9. I am not sure if there is a demo
version of Aperture, but since it seems you are not using a Mac this
might not matter. None of this is freeware.
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTY5NjU2NDc

Savageduck

Old January 22nd 11, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:26:08 -0800, "bob" wrote:

[...]

It depends on what your software will do. You might want to use one
file for the most current edits and make that file viewed as a slide
show. Otherwise, use one master file with two sub-folders; one for
all shots and one for most recent edits. It's not difficult to
replace the previous edit with the new edit.

What are you calling an "album" and what are you using to view it?

Personally, I upload all shots to one file titled by subject, do my
edits, and move copies of the edited photos to a new file.
Periodically, I backup that file to an external HD, burn a DVD with
all of the shots - edited and unedited - and retain just the edited
shots on my C: drive. Moving and replacing images is no big deal.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 22nd 11, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:06:16 -0800, Savageduck

On 2011-01-21 20:26:08 -0800, "bob" said:

[...]

I have Lightroom2, but I don't use it for this purpose. I use it
mainly for my own purposes in locating subject matter. I have one
Catalog for family photos and one for my hobby photos.

I know I can sort by keyword and date in the Library module, but I
find it much easier to present photos for family use with the
FastStone image viewer. You know, when other people want to see the
photos from the birthday party or whatever.

I have one C: drive file for each year for family photos. All images
are renumbered in FastStone by date (2011-01-21-001) so they fall
sequentially in that year's file. When I show the birthday party
photos, I go to the date and show them full-screen in FastStone.

This also makes it easy to burn a CD or DVD when I want to send it to
some family member, or to upload all of the files for an event to my
SmugMug site. I know it can be done from Lightroom, but it's easier
for me from my C: drive.

In January, I burn two DVDs with the entire previous year's family
photos and send one to each of my children.

Hobby photos all end up in Lightroom and keyworded (animals, candids,
architecture, etc). "Competitions" is a keyword so I can find all the
photos I've used for the SI or for my camera club.

I don't think my system is the "best", but it works for me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 22nd 11, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tcroyer

"bob" wrote in message
Firstly, each original photo (could be raw or jpg) need to be stored.

Some photos in the album needs to be hidden but not discarded. E.g. almost
duplicate shots, bad shots, embarassing shots, etc.

Sometimes there are edited copies (psd files) associated with each file.

I use Elements 9 and am happy. But I also supplement the Elements albums
with special files so I can easily create CDs for customers.

I'm not sure I understand the need to keep near duplicates (at least for
very long) or bad and embarassing shots. The best move I made was learning
to actually delete unusable shots.

Lastly, there should be a quick way to view an entire album that shows
only the final version (or the original file if unedited) of the non
hidden photos.

Let's say I start off putting all the files of the album in one folder.

Then I want to edit one of the file. If I put the edited psd in the same
folder, then viewing the thumbnails of this folder would show two versions
of this photo (the original and the edited one). If I put the edited psd
in a sub folder, then there is no easy way to view this album showing only
the last edit of each photo.

How do you do it?

Tom Royer

"Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't guarantee that they're
wrong." -- my Father

Old January 22nd 11, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
[...]

I shoot only in RAW and do most of my editing as non-destructive changes to
the RAW files. I organize the RAW files into Windows folders and subfolders,
sometimes by date or event and sometimes by shooting location. For pictures I
want to display, I create a new folder (at work that will usually be in our
departmental space or the departmental space of the client organization) and
populate it with converted JPEGs of just those pictures. Since I'm not
particularly constrained by space considerations, I usually use uncompressed
JPEG at a resolution suitable for most Web-related uses. If a client needs a
different resolution (lower to be emailed out or higher for a brochure, report
cover, or whatever), I'll run off another JPEG.

Obviously this workflow is too primitive for the complex editing and
cataloguing that some people in this discussion often do. But it works well
enough for me so far, and has the advantage of not requiring the external
database on which most commercial cataloguing systems seem to rely.

I often shoot with two cameras and/or merge my pictures with pictures shot by
my wife, and there's one lesson I've learned the hard way: You have to make
absolutely sure that the date and time settings on all your cameras are
accurately synchronized. I did two shoots last week in which it appears that
my two cameras were off by about a minute. It makes for a frustrating editing
session to sort by date and time and have the shots displayed in only
approximately the right order. :^|

Bob
Old January 22nd 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:37:25 -0500, "tcroyer" wrote:
: "bob" wrote in message
: ...
: Firstly, each original photo (could be raw or jpg) need to be stored.
:
: Some photos in the album needs to be hidden but not discarded. E.g. almost
: duplicate shots, bad shots, embarassing shots, etc.
:
: Sometimes there are edited copies (psd files) associated with each file.
:
:
: I use Elements 9 and am happy. But I also supplement the Elements albums
: with special files so I can easily create CDs for customers.
:
: I'm not sure I understand the need to keep near duplicates (at least for
: very long) or bad and embarassing shots. The best move I made was learning
: to actually delete unusable shots.

I second that!

Bob
Old January 22nd 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob

I often shoot with two cameras and/or merge my pictures with pictures shot
by
my wife, and there's one lesson I've learned the hard way: You have to
make
absolutely sure that the date and time settings on all your cameras are
accurately synchronized. I did two shoots last week in which it appears
that
my two cameras were off by about a minute. It makes for a frustrating
editing
session to sort by date and time and have the shots displayed in only
approximately the right order. :^|

If you haven't touched the cameras's clock, it's not too late. You can
compute the difference between the clocks of the two cameras, and perform a
batch exif time stamp adjustment on one set of the photos with ExifToolGUI.

I ran into that issue as well while organizing photos collected from a trip.
I ended up having to guess how far off their time stamp are, based on the
orders of photos taken, and then do a batch exif time stamp adjustment.
Still, the results maybe a few seconds off.

Next time I'll have everyone take a photo of the same clock (with a seconds
hand) sometime during the trip.

But you brought up another can of worm. I want to have an album of a trip
taken by me, an album of the same trip taken by a friend, and a combined
"best of" album of the trip that consists of some of my shots and some of
his, without duplicating any photos on the hard drive. Can lightroom or
other cataloging software handle this?

Old January 22nd 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob

First let me clarify. The thing I call "album" is just a collection of
photos taken at an event. E.g. if I take photos at a birthday party, those
photos would be considered an album. The album may exist as a folder in my
computer, or as a database in a cataloging software, or as photos scattered
all over.

I'm currently not using any cataloging software. I avoid proprietary
software unless necessary. Another reason is I sometimes need to create an
album on someone else's computer, or give an album to someone including both
edited and original files. If I use a proprietary software to manage this
album, the person I give to may not have the software to open the album.

As for the reason to hide the bad shots instead of deleting them --
sometimes what I consider bad shots may still be worth looking at,
especially a long time into the future. And sometimes, I find that a bad
shot contains good areas that can be used to patch bad areas in another
shot. Think of it as a parts bin.

For viewing, I use xnview or faststone. If I'm using other people's PC, then
I use windows explorer thumbnail view.

Several people mentioned using lightroom, so that's what I'll look into.
Thanks for all suggestions.

Old January 22nd 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-22 12:13:18 -0800, "bob" said:

[...]

One of the beauties of Lightroom is, you can create your own web
galleries for sharing, either by maintaining the gallery on server
space you might have access to, or just by sending them the gallery
package.

For example this is one of my Lightroom web galleries, stored on my
mac.com server space. You might have available server space you are
already paying your ISP for.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/WF...05w/index.html

Savageduck