Canon's "Rebel". What a stupid name.

Old December 7th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gary C

Default Canon's "Rebel". What a stupid name.

"John" wrote in message
m...

A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

The "Kompressor" is just an engine.

M/B still hasn't changed using letters and numerals
for size and models.

Old December 7th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:14:42 -0500, BobF wrote:

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 13:59:25 GMT, John wrote:

I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Other product names that annoy me:

A Black & Decker belt sander named "Dragster"

A name you'd agree with if you put it down while still running...

A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

I think that's just the Compressor option... it's not as bad as cars that say
"12 valves" or something... how about "14092 screws"? "12 lbs of fiber"? Just
stupid.

12 valves implies, with a 4 cylinder engine, 3 valves per head, which at
one time was an advanced technique resulting in improved performance.

A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Never buy Delta equipment... should say LOSS...

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product
names?

How about "Flatron" monitors by LG? Some kind of Electronic Flatulence??

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 7th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Rubin

John writes:
A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product names?

How about the General Motors electric concept car called "Impact"?
Old December 7th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dwight

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in message
Keith Baird wrote:
John wrote:
A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

First, it is not the name of the automobile but a qualifier like "sport"
or "diesel."

Second, "kompressor" is the german term for a supercharger and is used
only on MB's models that incorporate a supercharger.

At least that designation actually means something when placed on a
Mercedes. Unlike the totally useless name add-ons found on American cars.

No question who Chrysler is aiming for, with the Magnum and now Caliber.

dwight

Old December 7th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 16:35:58 -0500, Neil Harrington wrote:

chuckle That reminds me of my long-ago childhood. When I was a kid on Long
Island, there was a small cabin boat pulled out of the water that a couple
of us used to play on. It may have been abandoned, as it seemed to be there
on dry land permanently.

Its name was the "Damphino." Eventually I heard how it came to be called
that. It was owned jointly by three guys who wouldn't get together on a name
for it. Finally after much argument, when asked for yet another name in
hopes that all three might find it acceptable, one of them threw up his
hands in despair and said, "Damn 'f I know!" And so it was named.

I suppose you've heard the old, absolutely true story about how
the long lost Fugawi tribe got its name?

Old December 7th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 06:15:46 -0800, nospam wrote:

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product names?

none of those are as stupid as 'pentax *ist-d'

If you're ever longed for a Pentax Pixie, you're out of luck and
will just have to settle for a Canon Elph.

Old December 7th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"John" wrote in message
m...
I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product
names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Other product names that annoy me:

A Black & Decker belt sander named "Dragster"

A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product names?

Ya got everything right, in my opinion, except the Mercedes. "Kompressor"
refers to the supercharger that the particular MB has. It's not a model
name, only a description, like "Sport" or "Turbo."
Not a big fan of Rebel.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 7th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 14:30:30 -0800, nospam wrote:

"Starkist". Remember Charley the Tuna, the tuna who wanted to have good
taste?

(no, I didn't make that up myself, I read it in this newsgroup)

then it must be true!

according to pentax, the asterisk is silent.

But it is true, and I didn't read it in this newsgroup. I saw and
heard it in many, many TV and radio ads.

"Whaddya want? Tuna with good taste or tuna that tastes good?"

Old December 7th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 16:51:48 -0500, Neil Harrington wrote:

Another somewhat tacky name (for a really nice line of cameras, several of
which I own) is Coolpix. The first time I saw that I thought, "Coolpix?
Coolpix? Who would name a line of cameras Coolpix?!" But you eventually
get used to it and it doesn't seem so bad.

Some things you don't get used to. Some how, despite the urging
of order takers, I've never asked for "Biggie Fries".

Old December 7th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:31:23 -0600, John wrote:

jjs who drove a Rabbit once (how embarassing) and still drives a BUG!
(fer crying out loud!)

Would it have been less embarassing to own or drive a Gremlin?