Circular fisheye for a DSLR?

Old February 16th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Circular fisheye for a DSLR?

After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
(a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
for some time about getting a 180° circular fisheye lens for full sky
photos.

Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
/ APS-C format. Based on a formula I found online, it seems I'd need
a 5.5mm fisheye to get 180° coverage in a 15.6mm circle, whereas the
shortest reasonably priced fisheye lenses seem to be 8mm.

As far as I can tell, I seem to have three options:

* Stick to compacts and use a fisheye converter like the Nikon
FC-E8/E9. Those are fairly reasonably priced, and I've read
positive comments about the image quality of the E9. But I'd rather
like to use my fancy new DSLR now that I've got it.

* Use a .2x fisheye converter with a 24mm lens. The Nikon converters
mentioned above can apparently be used like that with a suitable
step down ring, although I've also read vague warnings that this is
not something they're designed for. This way I could also use the
same converter on a compact if I wanted. I've also found some other
inexpensive fisheye converters for sale on the net, such as a .22x
converter from Opteka, but I've no idea what their quality may be.

* Use an 8mm or longer fisheye with a relay system like the one shown
at http://www.naturfotograf.com/D1_fisheye_1,html.htm. Frankly,
the picture on that page scares me.

So, any suggestions? I'm inclined towards the second option above
right now, but any ideas are welcome.

--
Ilmari Karonen
To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.
Old February 16th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1838506-10387606

Old February 16th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Ilmari Karonen" schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

I've just received this one yesterday.
http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuf...g_fisheye.html
It's amazing for that kind of money.
Aad

Old February 16th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

THE REPLY ABOVE THIS IS SPAM
THE REPLY ABOVE THIS IS SPAM

Old February 16th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Ilmari
Karonen wrote:

After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
(a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
for some time about getting a 180° circular fisheye lens for full sky
photos.

Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
/ APS-C format.

nikon does:
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2148

sigma does:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?navigator=4

i didn't check any other lens maker - perhaps there are more.

Neither of those is a circular fisheye and one is not currently made. If
you want
a dslr w/a circular fisheye, your choices a
1) Canon FF dslr w/Nikon circular fisheye w/EOS-Nikon adapter
2) Canon FF dslr w/Canon FD circular fisheye w/EOS-FD adapter

Old February 16th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Aad" wrote in message

[...]

Nope, again not circular fisheye...they aren't being made currently by
either Nikon or
Canon (or anyone else left in the photo business). You CAN adapt an older
Nikon or
Canon circular fisheye to a FF Canon dslr or Kodak dslr.

Old February 16th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"george" schreef in bericht

"Aad" wrote in message

[...]

Youre mistaking. On my 1.6 crop sensor I still have an 180 degree view. And
circulair it is.
Look halfway this page. You'll see the difference between FF and APS.
http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/
Aad

Old February 17th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Aad wrote:

"george" schreef in bericht

big snip
Nope, again not circular fisheye...they aren't being made currently by
either Nikon or
Canon (or anyone else left in the photo business). You CAN adapt an older
Nikon or
Canon circular fisheye to a FF Canon dslr or Kodak dslr.

Youre mistaking. On my 1.6 crop sensor I still have an 180 degree view. And
circulair it is.
Look halfway this page. You'll see the difference between FF and APS.
http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/
Aad

The link provided goes to a 404 error page because Google Groups
included your nym (Aad) as the last part of the URL. (it looked like
this: http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/Aad in your reply)
Try "bracketing" the URL in future, like this:
http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/

I also get a very similar 180 degree images with my 8mm Peleng Fish-eye
lens and Pentax ist-Ds, which co-incidently has the same 1.5 crop
sensor that your Nikon does :-)

Old February 17th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Aad" a écrit dans le message de

[...]

I will second the tip for the Peleng lens, see
http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/image/55918873 or
http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/image/55918874 taken with a Canon 10D. While it
is not a "true" circular fisheye lens, at the price it can't be beat. It is
easy to find on e-bay for a bit less tha $200, adapter included. My seller
was Kiev Cameras in case you were wondering. The closest to the 8mm Peleng
would be an 8mm Sigma which looks less crude but is nonetheless 3 times more
expensive. You can get some pretty neat effects as is or by "defishing" the
image with Photoshop or PTlens. The only downside to the Peleng is the lens
cap which will not stay on.

Jean

Old February 17th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

nospam wrote:
In article , Ilmari
Karonen wrote:

After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
(a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
for some time about getting a 180° circular fisheye lens for full sky
photos.

Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
/ APS-C format.

nikon does:
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2148

I have this lens. It is a great lens, reasonably priced, and it does do
180 degrees, but only in one direction. It does not give a circular
image; it is a rectangular image. Nikon Capture actually has a special
adjustment for this lens which removes the distortion and converts
pictures taken with it to super wide angle. Of course, the same thing
can be accomplished in PhotoShop, but the one-click solution in Capture
is difficult to beat.

sigma does:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?navigator=4

i didn't check any other lens maker - perhaps there are more.

Lens Distortion Fisheye HELP dude Digital Photography 6 December 7th 04 03:16 PM
RFD: rec.photo.dslr Thad Digital Photography 21 September 5th 04 02:22 AM
RFD: rec.photo.dslr Thad 35mm Photo Equipment 12 September 5th 04 02:22 AM
Why go dSLR? Bob Digital Photography 69 June 27th 04 07:22 PM
FA: Sigma 12mm f8 in T-mount , equiv. to 19mm fisheye for DSLR! Low start bid. Kelvin Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 October 9th 03 08:41 AM