How much water in a CPE

Old November 1st 05, 10:02 AM
mutley

Default How much water in a CPE

I have a CPE2 but no insts. How much water is recommended in the trough?
Should the proc.tank actually run in an inch or so of water? This seems a
bit messy.

--
Any help TIA
Please reply to Newsgroup

Old November 1st 05, 11:43 AM
Gregory Blank

In article ,
"mutley" wrote:

I have a CPE2 but no insts. How much water is recommended in the trough?
Should the proc.tank actually run in an inch or so of water? This seems a
bit messy.

--
Any help TIA
Please reply to Newsgroup
scrambled address

Typically you run just enough water in the trough to just contact
the inside of the outer edge of the drum, that is so the drum contacts
the water but does not float......enough water to give some lubrication
as the drum rotates on the rollers.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 1st 05, 01:56 PM
Jean-David Beyer

mutley wrote:
I have a CPE2 but no insts. How much water is recommended in the trough?
Should the proc.tank actually run in an inch or so of water? This seems a
bit messy.

Initially, I put the reels in the tank and put as much water into the tank
as I would processing solutions. Then I put that in the processor and added
water to the trough until the tank just barely floated. Then I removed a
trifle of water at a time until the tank did not float anymore.

Next, I observed just how far the water came up on the plastic thingie that
holds the bottles of solutions. It comes about half way up that thing. (It
is at a slight angle, so makes a sufficiently accurate measurement.) Now I
just fill the trough until it reaches that depth.

The tank does run in an inch or so of water. IMAO, it would be better to
fill the trough until the water just _does not_ go into the filler hole, but
this is too much and invariably floats the tank. The reason you do not want
the tank to float is that then the processing solutions go to the low end of
the tank and uneven results obtain. But, other than that, the deeper, the
better because it controls the temperature inside the tank better.

This may be academic because the tanks are plastic, not stainless steel, and
perhaps they hold temperature sufficiently for the short time they are in
the tank. I would not risk it though, especially for color.

^^-^^ 08:50:00 up 23 days, 8:13, 4 users, load average: 4.33, 4.22, 4.18
Old November 2nd 05, 10:53 AM
mutley

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

Initially, I put the reels in the tank and put as much water into the tank
as I would processing solutions. Then I put that in the processor and

added
water to the trough until the tank just barely floated. Then I removed a
trifle of water at a time until the tank did not float anymore.

[snip]

Thanks for this help (also to Gregory).
One reason I had asked the question is to know if this would affect the
temp. of liquids inside the tank. From what you write probably not much. I
had measured the temp.of solution at 104F (about 40C) immediately before
pouring into the film tank (I'm doing E-6) and at 95F when I poured it out
after 7 minutes. This seems about right to me.

thanks
mutley

Old November 2nd 05, 12:45 PM
Jean-David Beyer

mutley wrote:
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

Initially, I put the reels in the tank and put as much water into the tank
as I would processing solutions. Then I put that in the processor and

added

water to the trough until the tank just barely floated. Then I removed a
trifle of water at a time until the tank did not float anymore.

[snip]

Thanks for this help (also to Gregory).
One reason I had asked the question is to know if this would affect the
temp. of liquids inside the tank. From what you write probably not much. I
had measured the temp.of solution at 104F (about 40C) immediately before
pouring into the film tank (I'm doing E-6) and at 95F when I poured it out
after 7 minutes. This seems about right to me.

Seems just awful to me. The idea of the tempering bath is to prevent (or
greatly reduce) the temperature drop. 9°F is large. Sure you could work
around it, but then why use a Jobo in the first place?

^^-^^ 07:40:00 up 24 days, 7:03, 4 users, load average: 4.21, 4.19, 4.17
Old November 2nd 05, 06:04 PM
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Jean-David Beyer wrote:

The reason you do not want
the tank to float is that then the processing solutions go to the low end of
the tank and uneven results obtain. But, other than that, the deeper, the
better because it controls the temperature inside the tank better.

I guess I don't understand. If the tank floats, won't both the solution
and the reels inside be perfectly level?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
Old November 2nd 05, 07:23 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
In article ,
Jean-David Beyer wrote:

The reason you do not want
the tank to float is that then the processing solutions go to the low end of
the tank and uneven results obtain. But, other than that, the deeper, the
better because it controls the temperature inside the tank better.

I guess I don't understand. If the tank floats, won't both the solution
and the reels inside be perfectly level?

No. The retaining gizmo at one end (the one with the cog drive or the magnet
drive) will be held down but the other end will float up, so the chemistry
will run downhill to the drive end.

^^-^^ 14:20:00 up 24 days, 13:43, 4 users, load average: 4.24, 4.16, 4.10
Old November 2nd 05, 09:06 PM
Frank Pittel

mutley wrote:
: I have a CPE2 but no insts. How much water is recommended in the trough?
: Should the proc.tank actually run in an inch or so of water? This seems a
: bit messy.

I fill the water tank until the water level comes up to the top of the bottle
holder. This ends up with the water being just under the center of the tank with
the drive mech. out of the water. The chemistry inside the tank keeps it from
floating off of the drive and the chemistry inside the tank stays at the proper
temp.

--

-------------------
Old November 2nd 05, 10:10 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

mutley a écrit :
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

Initially, I put the reels in the tank and put as much water into the tank
as I would processing solutions. Then I put that in the processor and

added

water to the trough until the tank just barely floated. Then I removed a
trifle of water at a time until the tank did not float anymore.

[snip]

Thanks for this help (also to Gregory).
One reason I had asked the question is to know if this would affect the
temp. of liquids inside the tank. From what you write probably not much. I
had measured the temp.of solution at 104F (about 40C) immediately before
pouring into the film tank (I'm doing E-6) and at 95F when I poured it out
after 7 minutes. This seems about right to me.

thanks
mutley

9F (5°C) of difference sounds to much for me, E-6 specs indicate a 0.3°C
tolerance ...

You should adjust the temperature of the bath so that the temperature of
the chemicals *inside* the drum remain at a constant 100°F for E-6.
You can do tests with water and empty reels inside the drum.
Note, these tests does take time as water temperature is slow to
stabilize but you have to do it once only.

Here is an example with my CPA-2:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/cpa2.htm

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch
Old November 3rd 05, 01:42 AM
Frank Pittel

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
: Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
: In article ,
: Jean-David Beyer wrote:
:
: The reason you do not want
: the tank to float is that then the processing solutions go to the low end of
: the tank and uneven results obtain. But, other than that, the deeper, the
: better because it controls the temperature inside the tank better.
:
:
: I guess I don't understand. If the tank floats, won't both the solution
: and the reels inside be perfectly level?
:
: No. The retaining gizmo at one end (the one with the cog drive or the magnet
: drive) will be held down but the other end will float up, so the chemistry
: will run downhill to the drive end.

Wouldn't the chemistry inside the tank keep it from floating?
--

economy in developing paper stefano bramato In The Darkroom 66 October 19th 04 01:43 PM
Kodak wins a billion dollar lawsuit Mike Henley 35mm Photo Equipment 189 October 13th 04 10:30 PM
Spots! Chris Loffredo In The Darkroom 10 June 13th 04 06:08 AM
Develper for Delta-100 Frank Pittel In The Darkroom 8 March 1st 04 04:36 PM
Photoceramic processess Biesior In The Darkroom 8 February 3rd 04 12:55 PM