Holy S---! I never expected this

Old September 20th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Holy S---! I never expected this

On 2010-09-19 19:21:50 -0700, RichA said:

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Fuji, where is the DSLR with that sensor?

Well it isn't the Spanish Inquisition, but it is almost as appealing
the comfy chair.

This might be premature, but I like this concept. It looks like it
could be the digital replacement for my old Yashica Electro 35 with its
fixed 45mm f/1.7

Savageduck

Old September 20th 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 19, 10:46*pm, Savageduck
On 2010-09-19 19:21:50 -0700, RichA said:

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Fuji, where is the DSLR with that sensor?

Well it isn't the Spanish Inquisition, but it is almost as appealing
the comfy chair.

This might be premature, but I like this concept. It looks like it
could be the digital replacement for my old Yashica Electro 35 with its
fixed 45mm f/1.7

Savageduck

I applaud Fuji for doing this (and not sinking completely into the
abyss of P&S Hell) and I applaud shooters with the discipline to shoot
with a fixed focal length lens.

Now why couldn't Canon put an APS-C sensor in the G12, or Nikon do the
same with the P7000?

That seems like an opportunity missed this time around.

Savageduck

Old September 20th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Savageduck" wrote:

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Now why couldn't Canon put an APS-C sensor in the G12, or Nikon do the
same with the P7000?

That seems like an opportunity missed this time around.

What lens do you put on it? The Canon 17-55/2.8 IS is (presumably) heavier
and more expensive than the whole Fuji camera. One of the variable aperture
APS-C kit lenses? That'd be two stops slower and probably softer at f/5.6
than the Fuji lens is wide open. And all of which are much narrower zoom
ranges than the G12/P7000. This was Sony's problem with their fixed-lens
APS-C camera.

I personally really like the 35mm focal length, and think the Fuji is
flipping brilliant. I wish they made their medium format folding camera with
a 65mm instead of 80mm lens. Sigh.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 20th 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

On 2010-09-19 19:21:50 -0700, RichA said:

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Fuji, where is the DSLR with that sensor?

Well it isn't the Spanish Inquisition, but it is almost as appealing the
comfy chair.

This might be premature, but I like this concept. It looks like it could
be the digital replacement for my old Yashica Electro 35 with its fixed
45mm f/1.7

Looks like 35mm f/2.8 (equivalent), which is kind of boring but useful.
I like that it's a bit wide. I would have no problem working in those
constraints for something coat pocketable, which my DSLr doesn't quite
manage. I use it that way often though, with extra large coat packets.
The tech is primitive but clever to implement that way at this time: a
crude optical offset peep viewfinder with digital shooting data
overlaid. I don't think that simple combo has ever been done with a
digicam, has it? If it has, it isn't being done anywhere else now. Oh,
OK and optional EVF, nice.

Perhaps this would be more successful as a 4/3 or P&S version where it
could fit into a shirt pocket. If the price is right, I could see it
being *great* for casual users but it's geared to the enthusiast so does
not look affordable. I love the relative abundance of physical dials and
buttons.

I like it but would not spend much to have something only marginally
smaller than my DSLR. I'd like to see this side by side with an entry
level DSLR with a similar lens but I can't think of an AP-S pancake lens
matching 23mm f/2. Perhaps a Nikon 20mm f/2.8 or 28mm f/2 but that's not
especially small. The 24mm f/2 is pretty rare and odd AFAIK... never
seen one. Other thoughts for a comparable lens?

Mirrorless obviously helps here with the closer mounting and this
appears to take advantage of a sweet spot that does look very useful.
Old September 20th 10, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-19 21:26:52 -0700, "David J. Littleboy" said:

"Savageduck" wrote:

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Now why couldn't Canon put an APS-C sensor in the G12, or Nikon do the
same with the P7000?

That seems like an opportunity missed this time around.

What lens do you put on it? The Canon 17-55/2.8 IS is (presumably) heavier
and more expensive than the whole Fuji camera. One of the variable aperture
APS-C kit lenses? That'd be two stops slower and probably softer at f/5.6
than the Fuji lens is wide open. And all of which are much narrower zoom
ranges than the G12/P7000. This was Sony's problem with their fixed-lens
APS-C camera.

Oh! I can see the complications with an APS-C G12/P7000. It was merely
a thought for a "different" compact.

I personally really like the 35mm focal length, and think the Fuji is
flipping brilliant. I wish they made their medium format folding camera with
a 65mm instead of 80mm lens. Sigh.

Strangely enough I think there are quite a few surprised folks here,
myself included who really like this idea. Now let's see what the
sticker price is going to be, and how it performs once tested.

Savageduck

Old September 20th 10, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Bruce" wrote in message
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote:
http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp
Now why couldn't Canon put an APS-C sensor in the G12, or Nikon do the
same with the P7000?

That seems like an opportunity missed this time around.

What lens do you put on it? The Canon 17-55/2.8 IS is (presumably) heavier
and more expensive than the whole Fuji camera. One of the variable
aperture
APS-C kit lenses? That'd be two stops slower and probably softer at f/5.6
than the Fuji lens is wide open. And all of which are much narrower zoom
ranges than the G12/P7000. This was Sony's problem with their fixed-lens
APS-C camera.

"Sony's problem with their fixed-lens APS-C camera"?

Yes. They had to fish or cut bait (since it's a fixed-lens camera), and they
ended up with a larger and heavier camera, losing both the size advantage of
the P&S cameras and the flexibility of the low-end dSLRs.

Really. They lost the F707 fans in droves; most of us moved to dSLRs.

The Fuji will have the quality of an APS-C and the weight of a P&S. At the
cost of the fixed focal length lens.

The DSC-R1 had a 5X zoom lens. The PowerShot G12 has a 5X zoom lens.

And the R1's three times the weight and twice the price. (It is three times
the camera, but that doesn't make it the neither fish nor fowl beast it
was.)

The R1's 24-120mm Carl Zeiss lens was more useful to me than the G
Series' 28-140mm would have been because of the 24mm wide end, but
that's a matter of personal taste.

One thing is certain, though. "Sony's problem with their fixed-lens
APS-C camera", as alleged by you, simply did not exist.

Other than the price, and weight. And the alternative of a dSLR.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 21st 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:47:41 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote:
http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp
Now why couldn't Canon put an APS-C sensor in the G12, or Nikon do the
same with the P7000?

That seems like an opportunity missed this time around.

What lens do you put on it? The Canon 17-55/2.8 IS is (presumably) heavier
and more expensive than the whole Fuji camera. One of the variable aperture
APS-C kit lenses? That'd be two stops slower and probably softer at f/5.6
than the Fuji lens is wide open. And all of which are much narrower zoom
ranges than the G12/P7000. This was Sony's problem with their fixed-lens
APS-C camera.

"Sony's problem with their fixed-lens APS-C camera"?

Don't be ridiculous!

The DSC-R1 had a 5X zoom lens. The PowerShot G12 has a 5X zoom lens.

The R1's 24-120mm Carl Zeiss lens was more useful to me than the G
Series' 28-140mm would have been because of the 24mm wide end, but
that's a matter of personal taste.

One thing is certain, though. "Sony's problem with their fixed-lens
APS-C camera", as alleged by you, simply did not exist.

Well, I tried one, and was frustrated by the body, not the lens. The
lens was excellent, but it was so damned slow I couldn't stand it.
Nearly as slow as a Leica X1.
Old September 24th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:05:21 -0700 (PDT), Rich wrote:
: On Sep 19, 10:46*pm, Savageduck
: wrote:
: On 2010-09-19 19:21:50 -0700, RichA said:
:
: http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp
:
: Fuji, where is the DSLR with that sensor?
:
: Well it isn't the Spanish Inquisition, but it is almost as appealing
: the comfy chair.
:
: This might be premature, but I like this concept. It looks like it
: could be the digital replacement for my old Yashica Electro 35 with
: its fixed 45mm f/1.7
:
: --
: Regards,
:
: Savageduck
:
: I applaud Fuji for doing this (and not sinking completely into
: the abyss of P&S Hell) and I applaud shooters with the discipline
: to shoot with a fixed focal length lens.

I still have an Argus C-3. Would you applaud my "discipline" if I went back to
using it?

Bob
Old September 25th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

: wrote:
[...]

Aah! My first venture into 35mm. Dad's Argus C-3, which also led me to
the magic of the darkroom.
He must have got that sometime between 1948-1950.

No plastic there.

Savageduck

Old September 25th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:30:07 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
:
: : wrote:
: : On 2010-09-19 19:21:50 -0700, RichA said:
: :
: : http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp
: :
: : Fuji, where is the DSLR with that sensor?
: :
: : Well it isn't the Spanish Inquisition, but it is almost as appealing
: : the comfy chair.
: :
: : This might be premature, but I like this concept. It looks like it
: : could be the digital replacement for my old Yashica Electro 35 with
: : its fixed 45mm f/1.7
: :
: : --
: : Regards,
: :
: : Savageduck
: :
: : I applaud Fuji for doing this (and not sinking completely into
: : the abyss of P&S Hell) and I applaud shooters with the discipline
: : to shoot with a fixed focal length lens.
:
: I still have an Argus C-3. Would you applaud my "discipline" if I went back to
: using it?
:
: Bob
:
: Aah! My first venture into 35mm. Dad's Argus C-3, which also led me to
: the magic of the darkroom.

My Dad had its predecessor, the C-2. It was a lot like the C-3, but lacked the
holes in the side to plug in a flash unit. I think my grandfather (my mother's
father) had one too.

: He must have got that sometime between 1948-1950.

I believe my parents gave me the C-3 for my 16th birthday, which would have
been 1953.

: No plastic there.

I'd have to look, but I seem to recall that the idler gear between the lens
and the rangefinder wheel had a plastic bearing. And I think the front panel
was covered with some sort of plastic-impregnated cloth.

Bob