Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears.

Old September 16th 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

Default Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears.

Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

The way I most often use Irfan is:
I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
image that came from any handy file icon.
I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
depth.

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.

Anybody else had that problem?

Thanks!

Old September 16th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
irwell

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:31:05 -0700, Crash! wrote:

Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

The way I most often use Irfan is:
I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
image that came from any handy file icon.
I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
depth.

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.

Anybody else had that problem?

Thanks!

What format are you using as Save As?
TIF files take a lot space compared to JPG.
Old September 16th 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Irwell wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:31:05 -0700, Crash! wrote:

Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

The way I most often use Irfan is:
I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
image that came from any handy file icon.
I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
depth.

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.

Anybody else had that problem?

Thanks!

What format are you using as Save As?
TIF files take a lot space compared to JPG.

It never gets that far. It happens about a
second after the Save As window pops up, before
I can enter anything.
Old September 16th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"Crash!" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This used to happen to me after I began using Micrografx
together with Windows XP (this was the first time I'd had
a problem with new/old software on a PC). REALLY
ANNOYING! Much as I do not like Adobe Photoshop
Elements, that did solve the problem... 8^(
--DR

Old September 16th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

On 16/09/2010 21:31, Crash! wrote:

Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

The way I most often use Irfan is:
I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
image that came from any handy file icon.
I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
depth.

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.

Have you tried reinstalling IrfanView, in case some other software
installation clobbered/downgraded one of its files?

--
Bertrand
Old September 17th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Ofnuts wrote:

On 16/09/2010 21:31, Crash! wrote:

Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

The way I most often use Irfan is:
I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
image that came from any handy file icon.
I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
depth.

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.

Have you tried reinstalling IrfanView, in case some other software
installation clobbered/downgraded one of its files?

I did upgrade a few levels. I guess I could try
an uninstal first.

Irfan said he thought it might be shell addon.
....like an item in the right-click menu, I guess.
I have no idea how to troubleshoot shells.

Old September 17th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:51:18 -0400, John A. wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:31:05 -0700, Crash! wrote:

Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

The way I most often use Irfan is:
I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
image that came from any handy file icon.
I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
depth.

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.

Anybody else had that problem?

Did you install the plugins released after the last batch?

Yup. I normally DL and instal the plugins along w the program.

I tried
that a few weeks ago and immediately started having problems.

Similar problems?

immediately reinstalled the last plugin batch and all was well.

So, you reinstalled an *older* plugin batch?

I reverted so fast I can't remember exactly what went wrong, so I
can't say for sure that would fix your problem.

"reverted"???

As a work-around I would suggest copying the entire image to the
clipboard before saving, just in case.

Laugh! I do. Thanks! That works! Unless I forget.
Old September 17th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears.;
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:44:37 -0400, David Ruether wrote:

"Crash!" wrote in message
om...
[...]

taps playing softly in backgroud

But but but... I've been with Irfanview for so long!

Old September 18th 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gordon Freeman[_2_]

Crash! wrote:
Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,

Since something is causing the Irfanview process to die, you might consider
the possibility of a hardware problem, especially faulty memory (RAM).

Are you overclocking your system? This often causes flaky memory due to the
timings being reduced, but it may only be evident when doing memory
intensive operations, particularly ones where data integrity is required.
If you are overclocking, try going back to the default system speed and see
if that fixes it.

You could also download Memtest86 to test your memory, however a proper
test will take a few hours to run (best do it overnight).

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...wiki/Memtest86
Old September 18th 10, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

On 18/09/2010 07:08, Gordon Freeman wrote:
wrote:
Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,

Since something is causing the Irfanview process to die, you might consider
the possibility of a hardware problem, especially faulty memory (RAM).

That would cause other software to die...

--
Bertrand