Rodinal

Old March 19th 04, 11:53 PM
Alparslan

Default Rodinal

Hi all,

Rodinal is not available in Turkey. I believe it is because in part Agfa's
low profile marketing strategy. Anyway, I read a lot about Rodinal and
decided to try it. I bought some rodinal in the U.S and am ready to give it
a shot. It is half a liter bottle of Rodinal. I was hoping that it has a
long shelf life like the T-Max developer I mainly use and bought the larger
bottle. T-Max developer has a shelf life of 2 years in proper conditions. As
I do not develop not more than 1-2 rolls of film in a week, shelf life is
important to me.

In the leaflet of rodinal, it says once the original bottle has been opened,
the stock will keep for 6 months. I know Rodinal is very concentrated like
the T-Max and I am wondering if keeping the stock rodinal in air tight brown
glass bottles (trying not to leave any air in the bottles by moving the
stock in smaller bottles as it is consumed) will help extend the life of
stock rodinal over 6 months.

I have another question. I use 300 ml of working solution to develop 35 mm.
films. the 1+50 dilution requires really little amounts of stock developer.
Is there a threshold for the stock amount to be used, any minumum limits?

Thank you all for helping me. Kind regards,

Alparslan

Old March 20th 04, 01:23 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Alparslan" wrote

Rodinal ... shelf life [?]

Seems to be forever. Usable even when it has turned black.

keeping the stock rodinal in air tight brown
glass bottles (trying not to leave any air in the bottles by moving the
stock in smaller bottles as it is consumed) [?]

Would be a waste of time and will not increase the shelf life as not
one seems to have come up with a bottle of Rodinal that is so old it
no longer works.

Is there a threshold for the stock amount to be used, any minumum limits?

11 ml/80 sq in = ll ml/36exp-35mm /120 /4-4x5"

Success is reported at 7ml, anything lower and negatives get
thin.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old March 21st 04, 01:46 AM
BertS

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Alparslan" wrote

Rodinal ... shelf life [?]

Seems to be forever. Usable even when it has turned black.

keeping the stock rodinal in air tight brown
glass bottles (trying not to leave any air in the bottles by moving the
stock in smaller bottles as it is consumed) [?]

Would be a waste of time and will not increase the shelf life as not
one seems to have come up with a bottle of Rodinal that is so old it
no longer works.

I had one of the plastic Rodinal bottles that leaked. Hydroxide spills are not
fun.

Bert

Old March 21st 04, 04:01 PM
Gary Beasley

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:53:52 +0200, "Alparslan"
wrote:

[...]

In a thread elsewhere I read that a spray called Protectan to preserve
developers consists of propane and/or butane. So if you have a butane
refiller for cigarette lighters a quick squirt of that into the bottle
after use does work to prevent oxygen from getting to the developer.
The person doing the experiment has tried it on developers that
discolor as they oxidised and reports the developer was perfectly
clear after 6 months of storage.
Use all precautions for flammable materials when using this.
Old March 21st 04, 04:10 PM
Jorge Omar

I use gas lighter refill. It's better in a glass botlle or some plastic
ones.
The brown bottles I have are not as good as the blue ones (you can tell
by how much they collapse - no or little collapse means air has
penetrated through the walls/cap).

Jorge

(Gary Beasley) wrote in
:

Old March 21st 04, 11:41 PM
Dan Quinn

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote

Success is reported at 7ml, anything lower and negatives get
thin.

I mentioned a 10ml minimum a couple of years ago and was soon set
straight. IIRC, 3ml give or take a little was bottom. Formulary
Rodinal's minimum is 3.5ml.
The only developing agent in Rodinal is p-aminophenal hydrochloride.
Is that similar to metol? Do you think it might be activated by a
carbonate? I wonder why it is not more used? Dan