Canon AE 1

Old October 1st 04, 07:43 PM
Susan Phillips

Default Canon AE 1

I have an old Canon AE1 camera and was wondering if the flash and telephoto lens would fit on the new Canon Digital SLR that I am going to purchase.

Thanks for the help if anyone can answer that question!

--
Susan Phillips
Old October 1st 04, 08:20 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Susan Phillips
writes
I have an old Canon AE1 camera and was wondering if the flash and
telephoto lens would fit on the new Canon Digital SLR that I am going to
purchase.
*
Thanks for the help if anyone can answer that question!

The lens will not fit, even if the DSLR you buy is a Canon one. The old
manual focus Canon FD mount is completely different from the auto-focus
Canon EF mount used since the late 1980s. You can buy (second hand only
now) an FD - EOS mount adapter, but it is useful only for macro
equipment, as the lens will not focus at infinity - it is in effect an
extension tube.

The flash will probably fit in the hotshoe, but will almost certainly
not fire. I had this issue with an ML-3 ringflash, which was designed
for use with earlier generations of EOS bodies (and thus is probably a
lot newer than your flashgun). There may be a way to make the flash fire
on full power, but this will be highly unsatisfactory - you will get no
metering or auto flash exposure at all.

The best thing to do would be to sell the whole lot as an outfit -
though I doubt you will get much for it - or keep it as a back-up, and
buy new accessories for your DSLR.

I hope it goes well and you enjoy your choice!

David
--
David Littlewood
Old October 1st 04, 09:09 PM
Dave

The flash will not work from the AE1, as the digital uses an ETTL (if D10)
or I believe another type (but not "old type") of TTL on the D20. This is
because there is a basic difference in how the metering has to be done
between a digital and a film camera - the light can't be bounced off the CCD
(light) sensor in the digital camera light it can be bounced off the film
plane and then metered in a film camera. Perhaps you could use the "old"
flash in its own "auto" mode, I don't know. But you won't be able to use it
as a flash which is run as a dedicated flash by the camera.

Old October 2nd 04, 01:20 AM
Susan Phillips

Thank you for the help!

Old October 2nd 04, 02:19 AM
~Darrell Larose~

"Susan Phillips" wrote in message
I have an old Canon AE1 camera and was wondering if the flash and

telephoto lens would fit on the new Canon Digital SLR that I am going to
purchase.

Thanks for the help if anyone can answer that question!

--
Nope Canon didn't feel Manual focus camera users were important any more,
they discontinued the FD lensmount in the late 1980's. Nothing from the A

Sell the old stuff on eBay.

Old October 2nd 04, 10:39 AM
David Littlewood

In article , ~Darrell Larose~
writes

"Susan Phillips" wrote in message
I have an old Canon AE1 camera and was wondering if the flash and

telephoto lens would fit on the new Canon Digital SLR that I am going to
purchase.

Thanks for the help if anyone can answer that question!

--
Nope Canon didn't feel Manual focus camera users were important any more,
they discontinued the FD lensmount in the late 1980's. Nothing from the A
series Canon SLRs will work on any dSLR.

Sell the old stuff on eBay.

We have had this discussion ad nauseam over the years. However, for
Susan's benefit: when Canon faced the need to introduce auto-focus, they
realised the FD mount would have lead to serious limitations on what
could be achieved - it had a restricted size, and used purely mechanical
signalling. They therefore took the decision to abandon it and go for a
much wider mount with electrical signalling, knowing full well that this
meant isolating a lot of users. Some users understood this and got on
with life, but some others still bitch about it after 17 years (actually
some of the "bitching" comes from people who never used Canon anyway).

In contrast, Nikon tried to keep the same mount, which has lead to some
rather confusing positions on what lens will work fully on which body.
Nikon users claim it's no problem - I'm not a Nikon user, but it sounds
a bit messy to me.
--
David Littlewood
Old October 2nd 04, 03:43 PM
Susan Phillips

"We have had this discussion ad nauseam over the years."

But, I have not been reading this board for "years."

Susan

Old October 2nd 04, 04:08 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Susan Phillips
writes
"We have had this discussion ad nauseam over the years."

But, I have not been reading this board for "years."

Indeed; which is why I went on to say "However, for Susan's benefit..."
as I guessed you probably had not, and why I took the trouble to
summarise the issue for your benefit!

The first comment was aimed at Daniel, who certainly has been around for
a long time.

BTW, if you respond to a previous comment, it helps if you leave in a
reference to who made it - it can (when threads get complex) get
confusing.

David
--
David Littlewood

Old October 2nd 04, 11:22 PM
Claim Guy

I don't think he was putting you down, just trying to provide you with some
history and ward off some angry Nikon lover's responses.

Since he gave you the most thorough answer (background included) maybe you
shouldn't assume a defensive posture.