RANT- Reality Check-"The Early Days of Digital Photography"

Old October 2nd 04, 05:33 PM

Kibo informs me that bob stated that:

wrote in
:

I did a university
computer program in the early 1960s (a Fortran course) and prepared
my program and data on punched cards. I suspect that the chances of
finding
computer to run that program today

With about a 5 minute download, I could compile any of the standard
flavours of FORTRAN on this machine, for free.

Yeah, but how are you going to read the punch cards?

That'd depend a lot on how many I needed to read, & how often. If I just
needed to do it once, & I'd build an optical reader from scratch, & feed
the cards by hand, (or pay a student/unemployed-person to feed them for
me).

Old October 2nd 04, 05:55 PM
jjs

wrote in message
news
Yeah, but how are you going to read the punch cards?

That'd depend a lot on how many I needed to read, & how often. If I just
needed to do it once, & I'd build an optical reader from scratch, & feed
the cards by hand, (or pay a student/unemployed-person to feed them for
me).

Ach, you don't have to build a reader from scratch. Bulk-load a stacking
scanner and use OMR and a little BASIC.

Old October 4th 04, 11:59 AM

Drifter wrote:

for the sake of my comparison I consider modern photography to be a
direct descendant of the first film negatives created by Henry
Talbot in 1834. That gives photography a pedigree of at least 170
years. Even starting from the first Leica (1924) we have a
photographic history of 80 years!

By contrast, digital photography (using a sensor as opposed to a
film negative) can, at best, claim a history of roughly 17 years
with Kodak's first commercial sensor around 1987

At best? The first commercial sensor for digital photography was the
CCD201ADC, from Fairchild, in 1973. By 1986, Kodak were a long way
down the road with a 1.4 Mpixel sensor.

Andrew.

Old October 4th 04, 04:28 PM

Kibo informs me that "jjs" stated that:

wrote in message
news
Yeah, but how are you going to read the punch cards?

That'd depend a lot on how many I needed to read, & how often. If I just
needed to do it once, & I'd build an optical reader from scratch, & feed
the cards by hand, (or pay a student/unemployed-person to feed them for
me).

Ach, you don't have to build a reader from scratch. Bulk-load a stacking
scanner and use OMR and a little BASIC.

Ew. That'd be too much like trying to make a wheel out of bricks. I like
even my kludges to /some/ degree of elegance.

Old October 8th 04, 02:55 AM

In message Ufe7d.42$ae7.12@trndny07,
"Gene Palmiter" wrote:

Way back when I got my Oly E-10 I would hear people whisper "That's a
digital camera!," others would freak when I showed them a photo on the
viewer...they had no idea that digital existed. I think that is what people
are refering to when they talk of when digital was new...the days before it
was ubiquitous. I do agree though that we are where the PC was before the
IBM-PC. There are no standards.

I often find that when I am out with my 10D, that people automatically
assume that it is a film camera. I had one guy back in the spring look
at me using my 10D, and said, "it's good to see some people are still
using film; this digital stuff everyone's going for today is just a bad
joke".
--

John P Sheehy