Compact Versus DSLR

Old November 25th 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Compact Versus DSLR

Hi everyone
I currently own a Canon G6
I am thinking of getting a DSLR either a Canon 350 or Nikon D70
My question - will I see a BIG difference in quality of should I spend much
more and get a £900 to £1000 DSLR to see the difference ?
Can you reply ASAP

Thanks

Brian

Old November 25th 05, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Falcon" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi everyone
I currently own a Canon G6
I am thinking of getting a DSLR either a Canon 350 or Nikon D70
My question - will I see a BIG difference in quality of should I spend
much more and get a £900 to £1000 DSLR to see the difference ?
Can you reply ASAP

Thanks

Brian

go and compare
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/img_2304.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/IMG_7629.JPG

On a good day you may not see much difference, especially with the kit
lenses. With a DSLR the main advantageis noise (or lack of) at higher ISOs,
the G6 is probably OK up to 200? where as the DSLR will goto 800/1600. You
will also get a lot more flexibility, including the ability to change
lenses.

For £900/£1000 you will only be moving up to the 20D or D70s, probably not a
great change in quality. Although you may find the handling better. You may
be better spending the extra money on good lenses.

Old November 25th 05, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Falcon" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi everyone
I currently own a Canon G6
I am thinking of getting a DSLR either a Canon 350 or Nikon D70
My question - will I see a BIG difference in quality of should I spend
much more and get a £900 to £1000 DSLR to see the difference ?

If you spend £3000 , then you might see a different .
350D + 24-70 L + 70-200 L IS USM glass OR
D70 + 17-55 DX + 70-200 VR.

if not and using the kit lens .. more of less it would be the same, only
slight improvements over noise n speed.

=bob=

Old November 25th 05, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Falcon" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi everyone
I currently own a Canon G6
I am thinking of getting a DSLR either a Canon 350 or Nikon D70
My question - will I see a BIG difference in quality of should I spend
much more and get a £900 to £1000 DSLR to see the difference ?
Can you reply ASAP

Thanks

Brian

That entirely depends on the lens(es) you buy and the sizes you print to.
With kit lenses, you may see a small improvement, with lower level consumer
lenses, probably the same small improvement, or a little more, with pro
level lenses, you might see a startling difference. And that's only if you
go to 8x10/A4 and above. Under 6x8/B5, you may never see the difference.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 26th 05, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Falcon" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi everyone
I currently own a Canon G6
I am thinking of getting a DSLR either a Canon 350 or Nikon D70
My question - will I see a BIG difference in quality of should I spend
much more and get a £900 to £1000 DSLR to see the difference ?

Perhaps you should wait a bit for the Nikon D200:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/

The BIG difference in quality issue is mostly a matter of personal needs.
Some can see the BIG difference and others cannot. The modern cameras can
take very nice shots (almost all of them). It's now more about the skill of
the photographer. However, a DSLR allows one to mount the lenses one needs
and that is THE difference for serious amateurs and pros.

Old November 26th 05, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"dylan" wrote in message

"Falcon" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Dylan
Thanks for the detailed info - will look at these sites now.
Cheers

Brian

Old November 26th 05, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"dylan" wrote in message

"Falcon" wrote in message
[...]

Had a good look at the web pages and sample photos.
You are correct in your opinion, the differences seem to be quite small in
good light but at higher ISO's the 350 shines.
I must now make up my mind on whether to sell my nearly new G6 or not and at
the moment I am inclined to keep it.
Will go shoppin today and try out the EOS and see how it feels.
Thnaks again for your help - much appreciated.
Brian

Old November 26th 05, 06:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

dylan wrote:

go and compare
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/img_2304.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/IMG_7629.JPG

On a good day you may not see much difference, especially with the kit
lenses.

Judging by the photos, the biggest difference I see is that the G6 is
clearly more patriotic.
Old November 26th 05, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Falcon" wrote in message
. uk...
"dylan" wrote in message

"Falcon" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi everyone
I currently own a Canon G6
I am thinking of getting a DSLR either a Canon 350 or Nikon D70
My question - will I see a BIG difference in quality of should I spend
much more and get a £900 to £1000 DSLR to see the difference ?
Can you reply ASAP

Thanks

Brian

go and compare
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/img_2304.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/IMG_7629.JPG

Can you compare those 2 pictures fairly?
The light is different on both days that the pictures were taken.
If they had been taken one after the other then I could see the credibility
in it but taken on different days?!