Lens Question: Imported vs. USA

Old July 30th 05, 12:56 AM
Charlie Self

Default Lens Question: Imported vs. USA

Alan Wonsowski wrote:
While surfing the B&H web site looking at Nikon lenses, there is a
distinction between "Imported" and "USA". All of the lens information
is the same - including the Manufacturers Number. The price difference
is about $20 US. Two questions:

1. What is the difference between these two lenses?

2. Is there a difference between "Nikkor" and "Nikon"?

Finally, I have been very disillusioned about the lack of knowledge at
the Ritz Camera stores in the Williamsburg / Newport News, VA areas as
well as the local Camera shop. If anyone knows of a good Camera Store
in the area, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably order my
Nikon D70s from B&H. If there are problems with B&H, please advise.

Thanks,
Alan

All the lenses are imported, but the "imported" one is grey market,
while the more expensive one has a US warranty. With B&H, that
shouldn't be a problem as their customer service is exemplary. It is a
bricks and mortar store in NYC, has been around about three decades,
and has a reputation other stores wish they had.

Ritz: yeah, well. Our Roanoke (VA) Ewald-Clark camera store was
excellent, if pricey, until Ritz bought them something like four or
five years ago. Now, mostly they "don't do that here any more"
regardless of what "that" is.

I mostly shop B&H and Adorama, with some sidesteps to J&R and
Buydig.com. Oh, yeah. Newegg from time to time.

Old July 30th 05, 09:01 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Alan Wonsowski wrote:

While surfing the B&H web site looking at Nikon lenses, there is a
distinction between "Imported" and "USA". All of the lens information
is the same - including the Manufacturers Number. The price difference
is about $20 US.

The price difference is often quite a bit more, actually.

1. What is the difference between these two lenses?

No difference at all in the product. The difference is that the "imported"
ones have been imported by B&H directly, not by Nikon, so they are not
covered by Nikon's warranty. B&H has their own warranty for them, but of
course you would have to send the lens to them for service.

Basically, you're buying it with no manufacturer warranty.

2. Is there a difference between "Nikkor" and "Nikon"?

No.

Finally, I have been very disillusioned about the lack of knowledge at
the Ritz Camera stores in the Williamsburg / Newport News, VA areas as
well as the local Camera shop.

Well, yeah.

If anyone knows of a good Camera Store in the area, please let me know.
Otherwise, I'll probably order my Nikon D70s from B&H. If there are
problems with B&H, please advise.

B&H is the place to go. The only reason to ever go anywhere else is if
you can't get what you want at B&H, and even then, you should first ask
yourself why not.

I was going there before anyone ever thought of online shopping, and
even then, that was the place to go, even though it meant a trip into
the city.

--
Jeremy |
Old July 31st 05, 03:24 AM

In message ,
Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Alan Wonsowski wrote:

While surfing the B&H web site looking at Nikon lenses, there is a
distinction between "Imported" and "USA". All of the lens information
is the same - including the Manufacturers Number. The price difference
is about $20 US.

The price difference is often quite a bit more, actually.

My grey market Canon 100-400L IS was $100 cheaper than the US version.
Had a problem with it a few months later, brought it to B&H, and had it
back 3 weeks later, fixed by Canon.
--

John P Sheehy