Multi Pro or Coolscan 8000?

Old September 16th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

Default Multi Pro or Coolscan 8000?

On Sep 15, 10:27 am, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:

I disagree with this, though. Things like GEM and ROC make changes that one
may later want to reconsider. ICE is, of course, wonderful. But you are
better off just using ICE to make your archive file, and then working from
there.

so what? just re-scan without them! :-)
It's not like the "raw" file is gone, is it?
Still: I prefer NI to what GEM does. But in
the absence of NI, GEM will do a good job.
Just don't use it full strength: setting of 1
works fine for me.

But I'll agree here. I've been quite successful at persuading Neat Image to
clean up the grain on negative scans. I can't speak for Focus Magic, but as
long as you keep a clean archived original, whatever you do is fine. (I say
this because I found that over the years I was using less and less and less
sharpening. YMMV here, of course. But sharpening can be overdone, and your
opinion on where the necessary/overdone boundary falls will change over
time.)

David: get an eval copy of FM and give it a try.
It works very well as a plug-in to Irfanview, for example.
It beats any other sharpening method I've tried with
the possible exception of some based on
high-pass filters. It leaves USM for dead, period.
Kid you not. It works particularly well with
digital raw images.

Old September 17th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Noons writes:

I'm sure you will enjoy your 8000 a lot. It's an amazing
piece of machinery. One hint: never be afraid of using
GEM/ICE/other software paraphernalia that comes with
Nikonscan. and get the latest versions.

Indeed, getting working ICE for medium format was one of my
long-standing dreams. It's a marvel on the K-M 5400 II but nearly
useless on the Epson V700...

I've also used GEM (during scanning) to good effect on films that show
"sand" grain effects when scanned.

Too bad neither of these work for silver halide B&W film, though.

there is no reason why one should not use software corrections on
film scans. I'm currently using a mix of Neat Image and Focus Magic
in the workflow after the scans and the results are absolutely
stunning. and of course, MF film has an advantage right up front!

I've found the Kodak GEM photoshop plugin to be very good for
controlling grainy scans, I wonder why nobody ever mentions that.
Old September 20th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rosemary

On Sep 17, 7:33 am, Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Noons writes:
I'm sure you will enjoy your 8000 a lot. It's an amazing
piece of machinery. One hint: never be afraid of using
GEM/ICE/other software paraphernalia that comes with
Nikonscan. and get the latest versions.

Indeed, getting working ICE for medium format was one of my
long-standing dreams.

Well I just saw this. I finally got a Minolta Multi Pro second hand
from an small online dealer who gave me a return policy and took my
credit card. (I am totally leery of Ebay now.)

Anyway I just love the Multi Pro. It actually came with a scanhancer
in the box and the images I"ve scanned with it have really made me
happy.

Unfortunately I can't get any store to buy my Microtek Artixscan 120TF
(sans ICE). I suppose I could keep it as a backup?

Old September 20th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Rosemary writes:

Unfortunately I can't get any store to buy my Microtek Artixscan 120TF
(sans ICE). I suppose I could keep it as a backup?

Maybe you should put it up for sale on eBay, I think there is some
demand for those and you're likely to get more money selling it
yourself instead of getting a store to buy it from you. If you let it
sit around unused it'll just rot away along with its selling value..

Even though you're leery of eBay... as a seller you have less risk as
long as you don't send anything before you have the money.

Old September 23rd 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Well, I have my scanner now and it seems to have a problem. To
describe it briefly: it made some very loud noises while it was moving
the carrier back and forth - I know film scanners make a lot of noise
but some of these noises seemed way out of place. The autofocus
function wouldn't work at all. I only managed to scan one frame and
even that was very badly misaligned; I got the latter half of the 6x7
frame I intended, plus a bit of the next one, and the rest of the
frame consisted of the same horizontal repeated again and again. The
next scan I tried was just the repeating horizontal line. After that,
I haven't managed to feed it with film at all; it just won't respond
when I insert a carrier (any carrier). Nikon Scan occasionally says
the scanner has reported a hardware malfunction - and sometimes it
just isn't detected at all.. I've tried Nikon Scan 3 and 4, Vuescan 8
on Windows XP and Nikon Scan 4 and Vuescan 8 on a Mac, with the same
results.

I'd just like to ask, what is the normal Power On Self Test (POST)
sequence like on a working unit? On mine, without the firewire cable
attached, it is:

1. Infrequent flashing of the green LED (about one per second)
2. A mechanical sound while the flashing continues
3. flashing continues for a moment but the sound stops
4. Another mechanical sound, flashing continues
5. Very rapid flashing, no sound
6. The green led is glowing continuously, no more sounds are emitted

I guess what I am going to do next is call the company who is responsible
for servicing Nikon equipment in Finland the first thing Monday morning, to
find out if I have any options for getting this to work. For some reason
I didn't have to pay customs or taxes on this one, which is a nice plus,
but it seems that savings is going into getting the thing serviced..

Apart from not working, the machine is very impressive. It looks like
it's built to last with no miniscular plastic piece of crap parts that
are so typical of today's consumer electronics. The stuff I managed to
scan looked exactly like the stuff I want to be able to achieve with
my scanner..

Old September 23rd 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

On Sep 23, 8:26 pm, Toni Nikkanen wrote:

1. Infrequent flashing of the green LED (about one per second)
2. A mechanical sound while the flashing continues
3. flashing continues for a moment but the sound stops
4. Another mechanical sound, flashing continues
5. Very rapid flashing, no sound
6. The green led is glowing continuously, no more sounds are emitted

any chance of sending it back?
just doesn't look right to me.
the flashing is normal during the POST
but it should stop after a coupla minutes or so.
and I only hear a couple of rattles on start-up in
my 9000, nothing else.

Old September 23rd 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
-

Toni -

Have you visited the Nikon 8000/9000 group at Yahoo Groups and read through
the archives? It seems like I have heard of some similar problems with the
8000 and there may be some good tips there on how to solve it. Lots of good
people there to help you troubleshoot things.

Doug
--
www.BetterScanning.com - Custom Film Holders and Accessories for Agfa,
Microtek and Epson Scanners

Old September 23rd 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

" -" writes:

Toni -

Have you visited the Nikon 8000/9000 group at Yahoo Groups and read through
the archives?

Thanks for the tip, I'll go and check it out right away.
Old September 25th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

I took it to the service company this morning and a few hours later
they already called me back, they had found the fault (a motor switch
was broken) and it will cost about 100 euros to fix it, they will need
one spare part which they have ordered and should arrive next week. So
it seems Coolscan 8000 is still being serviced. If this fixes it I'm
going to be happy after this is all over.
Old October 8th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Just got my scanner back. Apparently they fixed it completely, as I have
performed several scans of absolutely stunning quality with no problems
whatsoever. And that's before even trying the glass carrier yet.