rangefinder adjustment..."vintage question"

Old September 4th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Dave[_10_]

Default rangefinder adjustment..."vintage question"

I have just bought 2 external rangefinders to use with a newly acquired (for
curiosity and fun) 6x9 format Bessa 1.
One's a Voigtlander and the other a Watameter.

Anyone know how I can adjust/calibrate either of these, or point me in the
appropriate direction for information, even another newsgroup.

Thought I would try with you guys first (I will be using them on a MF
camera) as on this occasion Google hasn't been my friend.
Thanks
Dave

Old September 4th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob Bradford

Dave.

The Yashica Guy website has a bit on how to calibrate Yashica rangefinders,
may not be of help, but it seems to be all about setting inifinity to the
correct point.

Here is the link.

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/repair.html#six

Good luck, my two Yashica's (circ' 1961 and 1963) are still as accurate as
ever, and great fun to use.

Rob.B

Old September 4th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob Bradford

Or thinking about this you could ask if anyone knows how this should be done
on "rangefinderforum" I think it's www.rangefinderforum.com , try Googling
"rangefinderforum".

Rob.

Old September 5th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Dave[_10_]

"Rob Bradford" wrote in message
Or thinking about this you could ask if anyone knows how this should be
done on "rangefinderforum" I think it's www.rangefinderforum.com , try
Googling "rangefinderforum".

Rob.

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the tips. Very helpful. The URL you gave for the RF forum is spot
on.
Dave

Old September 22nd 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

The graflex.org site has instructions on how to calibrate a
couple of different rangefinders that might help in a
non-camera specific sort of way as well.

Old September 22nd 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bob Salomon

Dave wrote:
I have just bought 2 external rangefinders to use with a newly acquired
(for
curiosity and fun) 6x9 format Bessa 1.
One's a Voigtlander and the other a Watameter.

Anyone know how I can adjust/calibrate either of these, or point me in the
appropriate direction for information, even another newsgroup.

Thought I would try with you guys first (I will be using them on a MF
camera) as on this occasion Google hasn't been my friend.
Thanks
Dave

What are you trying to calibrate to what? External rangefinders have
distance scales on them as do your cameras. What needs calibration? Are
the rangefinders inaccurate or is the camera focus scale inaccurate? Or
do you need to make index marks on the rangefinders to correspond to the
camera's focus scale? Or did you buy non-photo rangefinders for boating,
golf, artilliary, etc. calibrated in yards rather then feet?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old September 24th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Dave[_10_]

Dave wrote:
[...]

Bob,
Let me be more specific to answer your questions.

I want to know how to adjust these 2 "external" rangefinders which seem to
be out of calibration. I believe my cameras are in spec as far as focus is
concerned. The images are not coincident laterally and when I focus with
them on an image at a known (measured) distance to make the images
coincident the readout from the rangefinder scale is not correct.
So I need to know what I need to turn to make the adjustments and what
order of adjustments to make.
And yes these are rangefinders designed for camera use and not boating etc.
No idea if Voigtlander ever made devices for such use.

Thanks

Old September 30th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bogdan Karasek

Hi Dave,

Somewhere in the back you'll see a little knob or screw like thing with
a slot in it. The slot is for a thin flat head screwdriver to turn the
screw and calibrate the RF. Focus on your measured distances and turn
the screw until it is in focus; try at 10 feet/3meters, 50 feet/20
meters and then infinity.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Montréal, Québec bogdan at bogdanphoto.com