B&W vs. Color

Old January 6th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

Default B&W vs. Color

I am doing a research project on Black & white vs color, and the process of devloping your own picture. for my research i need a survey or questionnaire so if anyone would like to respond as to why they prefer black and white over color then i'd appreciate it. Or if there is any other responses to my paper feel free as long as i can cite what you say in my paper.

--
lrncubed

View this thread: http://www.photographytalk.net/viewtopic-168050.html

Send from http://www.photographytalk.net

Old January 7th 06, 04:32 PM
sobolik sobolik is offline
Junior Member

At what level is this research paper? I'm game as long as you are not seeking expert analysis but rather comments from more of a beginner non-enthusiast standpoint. Someone else will have to step up for the big time views.
Old January 9th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

lrncubed wrote:

I am doing a research project on Black & white vs color, and the process
of devloping your own picture.

What aspects of B&W vs color?

for my research i need a survey or questionnaire

OK. Design you survey. You might post questions here, or make an
online survey and post a message enticing people to fill it out.

so if anyone would like to respond as to why they prefer black and
white over color then i'd appreciate it.

That's it? One question?

OK. Sometimes B&W is used for practical and cost reasons. It's cheaper
to print B&W in magazines, newspapers, flyers, etc. It's cheaper to
copy B&W on paper.

B&W images tend to be more permanent, as color fades more easily, in
general. B&W silver prints are very stable. Color dyes change with age.

Besides those practical issues, B&W has, to me, more of a classical
look. A lot of that is due to the fact that B&W photos predate color,
so B&W images are reminiscent of an earlier era.

B&W photography can be more of an artistic medium. It can be
manipulated more without invoking a cartoonish look. It leaves more to
the imagination. There is often more of an artistic subtlety in the
gradations that is not conveyed in most color images.

My views are strictly those of an amateur. You might want to interview
a professional photographer or artist for a better insight.

--
Thad