lens vs. image sensors in digital photgraphy

Old December 9th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.misc
[email protected]

Default lens vs. image sensors in digital photgraphy

Going back to the old style film cameras, how would you rate for the
distribution of critical components of a camera which contribute to
producing excellent photos (excluding human talent and touch) ? Would
you say they were 60% lens quality, 30% technical/mechanism or photo
meter, and 10% film? Or were they even 70% lens, 25 % mechanism/meter
and 5% film? I don't think that film played much of a role, as most
films were either Kodak, Fuji or Sakura/Konica.
The lens was what the camera manufacturers try to emphasize. Superior
cameras were famous for their lenses - Nikkor, Canon, Zuikor,
Leitz/Leica, Zeiss, Schneider-Kreutznach, Rollei, etc.
Now, in the new digital technology, good quality lens alone may not
make a good camera. Do you agree?
My questions are about another critical component which makes good
quality picture cameras. Is it the image sensor, from CCD to the new
CMOS technology? Or you may call it the "brain" of the camera. I
visited a few sites which describe about the technology, such as
http://www.shortcourse.com/how/sensors/sensors.htm Camera review sites
undoubtedly talk a lot about how good a CCD or CMOS of one camera from
others, etc., etc. Unfortunately, if you read all of those sites, you
find out conclusively that all cameras are all good (Just like when to
read all different car magazines for best cars). Well... I like to know
what are the superiority of a camera over the other. Nikon is famous
for its lenses, but do they incorporate a good CCD or CMOS to get
excellent digital cameras? Could someone provide me with some input on
this?
In the past we never heard a Sony 35mm or SLR cameras, but now we see a
lot of Sony digital cameras. They are now using Zeiss Ikon to utilize
their excellent lenses and name... but what about their image sensor
technology?. Are there websites which specifically discuss about this
issues? You can have excellent lens, but if your technology of image
sensor is behind or lagging, then your images in the digital camera
will be crappy.
On the other hand, could someone tells me that perhaps all CCD and all
CMOS are the same (just like you get a Windows OS.... the same whether
you use it in IBM computer or Dell or Toshiba). So, who makes these CCD
and CMOS anyways? Who developed the technology? (Kodak, Philips, Canon?
Are they just common computer chip companies such as Intel, AMD, etc
who makes and designs the CCD and/or CMOS? Is one CCD or CMOS
technology better than the other?
So, which digital camera has superiority in terms of both lens and
image sensor technology? Is Nikon among the top? Canon, Sony,
Panasonic, Samsung, HP, Fuji or others?
I heard from someone in this newsgroup suggested that Minolta/Konica
(who made good SLR cameras) failed to produce good CCD in their digital
cameras, and therefore they now go under and end up being picked up by
Sony.
Thanks for the discussion.

Old December 9th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.misc
John

wrote:
[...]

If you left out a few periods and spaces, you could have made your post even
harder to read.

Better yet, don't even bother with capitalizing. Just use one long stream of
lowercase characters without any spaces whatsoever. Readers will think it as
a puzzle and be pleased.
Old December 9th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.misc
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
[...]

I would say it is not easy to say and compare since it is only the final
product that counts and the variables all intermix.

Test the camera(s) you are considering to see how they do the kind of
work you are interested in and how they feel to you. After than don't worry
about how they got there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old December 9th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.misc
Skip

wrote in message
oups.com...
Going back to the old style film cameras, how would you rate for the
distribution of critical components of a camera which contribute to
producing excellent photos (excluding human talent and touch) ? Would
you say they were 60% lens quality, 30% technical/mechanism or photo
meter, and 10% film? Or were they even 70% lens, 25 % mechanism/meter
and 5% film? I don't think that film played much of a role, as most
films were either Kodak, Fuji or Sakura/Konica.

But there were HUGE variations in film, from Kodachrome 25 and 64 (and the
unlamented 200) Ektar/Gold 25, Protra through Fuji Reala, Fujipress, the
list goes on. And then there were the black and white films, like Technical
Pan, Panatomic X, Delta, etc. All of them had distinctly different
characteristics.

The lens was what the camera manufacturers try to emphasize. Superior
cameras were famous for their lenses - Nikkor, Canon, Zuikor,
Leitz/Leica, Zeiss, Schneider-Kreutznach, Rollei, etc.
Now, in the new digital technology, good quality lens alone may not
make a good camera. Do you agree?

It never did. It made a good lens and a good image, but not a good camera.
A good lens is critical, no matter what the medium.

My questions are about another critical component which makes good
quality picture cameras. Is it the image sensor, from CCD to the new
CMOS technology? Or you may call it the "brain" of the camera.

Well, the sensor isn't the "brain," the processor is. The sensor is the
replacement for the film. And just as critical.

[...]

Sony makes the majority of sensors for P&S cameras, and many of the DSLRs,
too, including Pentax, most of Nikons. Panasonic makes some (Olympus?) as
does Kodak (Leica). Canon makes most of their own, as far as DSLRs are
concerned. K/M's failure wasn't due to not producing a good sensor, Sony
made them before the acquisition. It was more a failure of business plan.
One reason for the unanimity of reviews is that most cameras perform more
than acceptably. There are no really bad sensors, some are just better than
others, and, to a large degree, which is which is a matter of taste. Even
Sigma/Foveon has its adherents.
--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 9th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.misc
Pat

Yoggi Berra said something like baseball is 90% physical and the other
50% is mental. I think photography is about the same.

I don't think you can rule out the human element because equipment
choice of the right stuff for the project is a huge consideration. You
don't take a camera will a large telephoto lense on a scuba dive and
expect to get any pictures. But anyway.

The lense is the most important thing. Here's a test. Go smear
vasoline on a lens and try to take a picture. Nope. Nada. You've got
to be able to see it.

Film was the next most important. You needed to select the right file
(but you've ruled out the human element). Film can make a huge
different. That's why there are/where so many.

Finally the camera. Well, that's pretty irrelevent. It's just a box
to keep out the light. You don't need light meters and winders and
flashes to take great pictures. Look at all of the large format stuff
without it. Heck, a hand light meter normally beats the heck out of a
camera's meter.

Old December 9th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.misc
Jeff R.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Going back to the old style film cameras, how would you rate for the
distribution of critical components of a camera

This rather pointless attribution of % values reminds me of the famous joke
where the parts of the body are arguing about their relative worth.

A version can be found he http://joek.com/jokes/joke_102.shtml

--
Jeff R.

Old December 9th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Dec 8, 6:57 pm, "Skip" wrote:
wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Going back to the old style film cameras, how would you rate for the
distribution of critical components of a camera which contribute to
producing excellent photos (excluding human talent and touch) ? Would
you say they were 60% lens quality, 30% technical/mechanism or photo
meter, and 10% film? Or were they even 70% lens, 25 % mechanism/meter
and 5% film? I don't think that film played much of a role, as most
films were either Kodak, Fuji or Sakura/Konica.But there were HUGE variations in film, from Kodachrome 25 and 64 (and the

unlamented 200) Ektar/Gold 25, Protra through Fuji Reala, Fujipress, the
list goes on. And then there were the black and white films, like Technical
Pan, Panatomic X, Delta, etc. All of them had distinctly different
characteristics.

The lens was what the camera manufacturers try to emphasize. Superior
cameras were famous for their lenses - Nikkor, Canon, Zuikor,
Leitz/Leica, Zeiss, Schneider-Kreutznach, Rollei, etc.
Now, in the new digital technology, good quality lens alone may not
make a good camera. Do you agree?It never did. It made a good lens and a good image, but not a good camera.

A good lens is critical, no matter what the medium.

My questions are about another critical component which makes good
quality picture cameras. Is it the image sensor, from CCD to the new
CMOS technology? Or you may call it the "brain" of the camera.Well, the sensor isn't the "brain," the processor is. The sensor is the

Skip Middletonwww.shadowcatcherimagery.comwww.pbase.com/skipm- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old December 9th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.misc
Carlos Moreno

Pat wrote:

Finally the camera. Well, that's pretty irrelevent. It's just a box
to keep out the light.

That's only true of film cameras. With Digital cameras, it is quite
relevant --- true that the variation between quality for different
cameras is perhaps not as high, or doesn't have as much impact, as
the variation between different types of film. But still, the rules
completely change with digital cameras, since the film is now one
of the intrinsic, non-removable-non-replaceable-non-refillable
components of the camera.

Also, for P&S cameras, the lens is part of the camera as well (but
then, P&S things do not even qualify as "cameras", so we'll keep
them out of the discussion :-))

Carlos