Blue Angels SF Fleet Week 2010

Old October 16th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul Furman

Default Blue Angels SF Fleet Week 2010

Vance wrote:
Last weekend was Fleetweek. I wasn't going to shoot the air show, but
I couldn't resist getting some shots of the Blue Angels.

This shot was taken about a half block from my apartment on Hyde
Street:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=d irectlink
This is from a high rise as they flew past. Yes, I am up that high
and they were that close:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=d irectlink
This is a graphical treatment of them as they dived below the level of
the building I was on:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=d irectlink
Anyway, there are what they are. Enjoy or not as you will.

I love that last one. Is it the sun reflecting off the water or something?

I was out on a sailboat Sunday and got some interesting shots of them
passing highrises but nothing real close this year. Also, I discovered
when I got home, it was mostly not the Blue Angels but a civilian group
using Czech training jets...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/5087045611/
Old October 18th 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-17 16:47:52 -0700, Vance said:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...8K8CaKYhIoTer1...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...1YnSaKYhIoTer1...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...nqsCaKYhIoTer1...

?

I was out on a sailboat Sunday and got some interesting shots of them
passing highrises but nothing real close this year. Also, I discovered
when I got home, it was mostly not the Blue Angels but a civilian group
using Czech training jets...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/5087045611/

I saw them up but I wasn't on the roof of the building yet (you can
geuss which building), but I really hadn't planned on shooting them at
all. I had other things I was after that day. Beautiful day for the
airshow, though. I wouldn't have shot them at all if I hadn't
wrangled roof access (a professional demeanor, an air of sincerity and
press credentials are like having a set of lock picks).

This is the shot that the graphics image was made from:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...YhIoTer1rripxo
_BbDw?feat=directlink

[SavageDuck - The shot through the trees is not a chance capture.
I've watched the Blue Angels every year and know their routes, several
of which are straight down Hyde Street and right past me. I spot
metered the clouds to the upper left, set the Canon to highlight
priority because I knew I was going to have to give some more exposure
to get the underside of the jets in a reasonable tone and took several
panning shots before they flew over in that pass to get the shutter
speed that probably would work for the blur and waited. Whatever it's
merits, or lack there of, it was a planned shot.]

Vance

Good to know.

....anyway, I thought the rooftop shot was the pick of the litter.
Nice stuff.

Savageduck

Old October 18th 10, 10:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"Bruce" wrote in message
Vance wrote:

I've watched the Blue Angels every year and know their routes, several
of which are straight down Hyde Street and right past me. I spot
metered the clouds to the upper left, set the Canon to highlight
priority because I knew I was going to have to give some more exposure
to get the underside of the jets in a reasonable tone and took several
panning shots before they flew over in that pass to get the shutter
speed that probably would work for the blur and waited. Whatever it's
merits, or lack there of, it was a planned shot.]

And that is precisely what makes it saleable. Good work!

The picture doesn't work for me but I appreciate Vance's effort and your own
comment on sellability. It's a good week as well as Philo's efforts with
curating the gallery paid of in similar ways. Then there's Pete's
architectural photography being short-listed by a client.

Inspiring stuff.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Old October 18th 10, 11:56 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-18 10:10:44 +0100, Charles E Hardwidge said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
Vance wrote:

[...]

Thanks Charles, and to Vance for the stunning images.

Can't remember who posted the link (below) to the BJP "The benefits of
a printed portfolio"; I wish I'd acted on it after reading it because
my potential client has asked to see my portfolio. Oops :-(

I think it's worth making one as both a photographic CV and just to
show those who are interested in seeing some of our pictures. In my
case, I think it would also improve my confidence a little.

What do you think, Bruce?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/blog-post/1719770/ask-agent-the-benefits-printed-portfolio

--

Pete

Old October 18th 10, 03:47 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-18 14:09:11 +0100, Bruce said:

Pete wrote:
Can't remember who posted the link (below) to the BJP "The benefits of
a printed portfolio"; I wish I'd acted on it after reading it because
my potential client has asked to see my portfolio. Oops :-(

I think it's worth making one as both a photographic CV and just to
show those who are interested in seeing some of our pictures. In my
case, I think it would also improve my confidence a little.

What do you think, Bruce?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/blog-post/1719770/ask-agent-the-benefits-printed-portfolio

agree, wholeheartedly.

I could email you some suggestions, if you like. Just send a message
to my reply-to address and I will reply when I can.

Very much appreciated, Bruce. I've sent you an email.

--
Pete

Old October 19th 10, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ray Fischer

Bruce wrote:
Vance wrote:

I've watched the Blue Angels every year and know their routes, several
of which are straight down Hyde Street and right past me. I spot
metered the clouds to the upper left, set the Canon to highlight
priority because I knew I was going to have to give some more exposure
to get the underside of the jets in a reasonable tone and took several
panning shots before they flew over in that pass to get the shutter
speed that probably would work for the blur and waited. Whatever it's
merits, or lack there of, it was a planned shot.]

And that is precisely what makes it saleable. Good work!

There are _so_ many photos of the Blue Angels that I doubt you could
sell any but the most extraordinary.

--
Ray Fischer

Old October 19th 10, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"Bruce" wrote in message

This one almost defines the term "most extraordinary".

I'm still not moved by this photo but that's no judgement. Looking at the
others did make me reflect on "painting with light".

Further to your earlier comments Zen like detachment is useful but so is
self-leadership and appreciating the nature of change.

Vance's shot could do with a narrative. That would help draw out meaning and
give a sense of context.

Some of the best movies like, say, 'Patton' make more sense and have a
deeper connection when they're intelligently reviewed.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Old October 19th 10, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Charles E Hardwidge" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

This one almost defines the term "most extraordinary".

I'm still not moved by this photo but that's no judgement.

It's appeal is not to photographers, nor to aviation enthusiasts, but
the wider public. I know two picture editors at major newspapers (in
the UK) who would snap it up.

Looking at the
others did make me reflect on "painting with light".

Further to your earlier comments Zen like detachment is useful but so is
self-leadership and appreciating the nature of change.

I think the only thing that matters here is an understanding of what
will sell.

Vance's shot could do with a narrative. That would help draw out meaning
and give a sense of context.

Some of the best movies like, say, 'Patton' make more sense and have a
deeper connection when they're intelligently reviewed.

Vance has already given us some narrative. I agree, it would enhance
the experience of viewing the image. Many people here clearly fail to
understand what it took to get the shot.

It is a technical achievement that can be compared to the 'aircraft
passing over the moon' shot that was recently discussed on here. Very
few people here had any good words to say about that shot, yet it sold
extremely widely, and pleased and intrigued millions of people who saw
it in newspapers around the world.

That seems to speak volumes about the value of opinions that are
expressed in photo newsgroups.

You're reading too much into what I'm saying. My comment was intended to get
people thinking about what was in the shot and how it might be viewed. Yes,
Vance had a "narrative" and newspaper editors match photos with stories that
"please and intrigue" their readers but we're not talking about finished
goods yet. We're taking part in an unfolding discussion.

You might want to stop being so judgemental and back off the attitude,
grasshopper. That sort of ego doesn't help.

FU trimmed to alt.photography (cuz I hate sprawl)

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Old October 19th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
peter

On 10/18/2010 8:36 AM, Bruce wrote:
"Charles E wrote:
wrote in message

I've watched the Blue Angels every year and know their routes, several
of which are straight down Hyde Street and right past me. I spot
metered the clouds to the upper left, set the Canon to highlight
priority because I knew I was going to have to give some more exposure
to get the underside of the jets in a reasonable tone and took several
panning shots before they flew over in that pass to get the shutter
speed that probably would work for the blur and waited. Whatever it's
merits, or lack there of, it was a planned shot.]

And that is precisely what makes it saleable. Good work!

The picture doesn't work for me but I appreciate Vance's effort and your own
comment on sellability.

To work out what is likely to sell, you need to detach your own
personal aesthetic taste and put yourself in the position of a
potential buyer. Or even better, go a stage further and try to
understand the potential end user.

It's just another example of the colossal gulf between, on the one
hand, amateurs taking snapshots for their own pleasure, and on the
other, people buying and selling images for profit. The latter
requires a completely different mindset to the former.

IOW become a who sell out; give up your own artistic expression; turn
your art into a craft.

--
Peter
Old October 19th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
peter

On 10/19/2010 5:17 AM, Bruce wrote:
"Charles E wrote:

wrote in message

This one almost defines the term "most extraordinary".

I'm still not moved by this photo but that's no judgement.

It's appeal is not to photographers, nor to aviation enthusiasts, but
the wider public. I know two picture editors at major newspapers (in
the UK) who would snap it up.

Not to say anything against Vance's work, which I think is superb. I
wonder if those picture editors are the same people you knew at Olympus.

Looking at the
others did make me reflect on "painting with light".

Further to your earlier comments Zen like detachment is useful but so is
self-leadership and appreciating the nature of change.

I think the only thing that matters here is an understanding of what
will sell.

Cough1 Cough!

--
Peter