P&S vs DSLR - Does this argument make sense?

Old July 26th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
[email protected]

Default P&S vs DSLR - Does this argument make sense?

I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
happy.
Comments?

Old July 26th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_3_]

wrote:
I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
happy.
Comments?

You don't /have/ to go DSLR:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

and perhaps one of two rangefinder cameras.

But the Sony may end up as big, heavy and expensive as more versatile DSLR
with a kit lens. Might work better in a dusty enviroment, though.

David

Old July 26th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Trev

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
happy.
Comments?

Yes It can have a bigger sensor. But a High end lens attached can produce
some cracking A3 prints. So its only of benefit if you can see the
difference in the finished results

Old July 26th 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D[_2_]

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message ...
wrote:
I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
happy.
Comments?

You don't /have/ to go DSLR:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

and perhaps one of two rangefinder cameras.

But the Sony may end up as big, heavy and expensive as more versatile DSLR
with a kit lens. Might work better in a dusty enviroment, though.

David

Not necessarily better, any lens going in and out has to move air somewhere,
if your zoomy P&S manages to get some dust into the sensor area it is
basicly impossible to get out, with a D-SLR it is easy.

Old July 26th 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Michael J Davis

Akiralx observed

"Raphael Bustin" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:05:32 -0700, wrote:

I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
happy.
Comments?

Unfortunately, yes, that's the way it is at the moment.

I went through the same gyrations shopping for my most
recent P&S. I was ready to spend serious cash, but
there really weren't any options. The few I found were
nearly as heavy (or heavier) than an SLR. (Eg.,
Lumix DLC-L1K @ $1499.)

The L1 is a DSLR. The Sony R1 may be a good choice, a bit old now though.

I was shopping for a *silent* multipurpose camera earlier this year and
looked at the Sony R1. Really interesting camera - at the original price
much too expensive, but it was available at around the £400 price when I
looked. (It's now back up in the £500+ range so the price I saw may be a
mistake). But the lens (especially 24mm eqiv) and sensor size made a
lot of sense, but the max aperture of f4.8 at 120mm worked against it
for my needs.

I eventually decided on the Panasonic FZ50 at £299, because I needed a
longer lens for nature and candid photography and use RAW to rescue the
image!

But as a long term M3 user, I really hate the sound an SLR makes - which
is the quietest SLR?

Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Old July 26th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Raphael Bustin

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:11:53 GMT, "David J Taylor"

I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
happy.
Comments?

You don't /have/ to go DSLR:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

and perhaps one of two rangefinder cameras.

But the Sony may end up as big, heavy and expensive as more versatile DSLR
with a kit lens. Might work better in a dusty enviroment, though.

David

Pretty much. The Sony that's pictured in the link isn't
exactly sized for a shirt or jacket pocket.

It's not an unusual form factor nowadays, but it's not
exactly "compact."

I still don't see why a 15x23 mm sensor "requires" a
large, heavy camera body. Back in the day, there
were slim, lightweight "half-frame" 35 mm cameras.

You're talking about a "normal" lens of 28 mm, which
isn't that much of a challenge.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com