Photo 365: A New Year's resolution for every photographer

Old December 28th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Photo 365: A New Year's resolution for every photographer

I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
your camera in your hands every day for a year.

I've talked a friend into the project: we're starting on Jan 1 2007,
and we'll be keeping each other honest by posting our pictures in a
photo blog.

I'd suggest that anyone interested in practicing their photography
should consider this - it could be interesting.

- Darryl

Old December 28th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Adrian Boliston

wrote in message
oups.com...

I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
your camera in your hands every day for a year.

I've talked a friend into the project: we're starting on Jan 1 2007,
and we'll be keeping each other honest by posting our pictures in a
photo blog.

I'd suggest that anyone interested in practicing their photography
should consider this - it could be interesting.

This idea seems to have been adopted by PBase known as "Photo a Day
Galleries".

http://www.pbase.com/pad

I have not yet started one, but I like the idea.

Cheers - Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old December 28th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ronald Hands

wrote:
I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
take a photo every day for a year.

A Toronto photographer has been doing this for some time. His
often-stunning output can be seen at:

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com

-- Ron
Old December 28th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
badger.badger

wrote:
I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
your camera in your hands every day for a year.

I've talked a friend into the project: we're starting on Jan 1 2007,
and we'll be keeping each other honest by posting our pictures in a
photo blog.

I'd suggest that anyone interested in practicing their photography
should consider this - it could be interesting.

- Darryl

Did "a day in the life" series a few years ago at work, dispo cams in
pocket for the week,
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~hg/diversity/index.html

I'm in two photo's, one with a musket (ok I handed the camera to someone
else)!

How others see the world, and the work of/at work etc is really quite
interesting. Little did we expect one of the most pictured buildings
(spiral stairs) would almost a year later be burnt to the ground,
following that I lived with a camera in my hand for 3 months gathering
images for insurance claims and history.... None that I can share
publicly though.

Niel.
Old December 30th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin C

In article ,
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

The world is overrun by bad photographs. Why should I add to
them when I don't feel creative, instead of enjoying what I do
when I feel like it?

While I don't disagree with the overwhelming flood of bad photos, at
least most, these days at least, can be deleted!

WRT the subject, I have found a project like this can improve my
photography by forcing me to think creatively at a time when I think
there is nothing worth photographing. It's a mental exercise. I've taken
part in a few photo "assignment" exercises before and putting yourself
on the spot does sharpen up the grey cells and, I believe, make me a
better photographer.

I'd advocate trying it but only if it interests you.

Your point about doing it when you feel like it is valid. My take on
that is this: if photography is your work, you can't only do it when you
feel like it, you have to be able to do even if you don't feel like it
and any practice that makes you better at it when you don't want to be
doing it isn't going to do your ability any harm for when you *do* want
to go out and take photos.

I'm sure that point could be made better but 15 year old Laphroaig has
those same little grey cells toasted just now

--
Justin C, by the sea.