N.Y. Times claims it's all over for Canon and Nikon!

Old December 28th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

Default N.Y. Times claims it's all over for Canon and Nikon!

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
The Times today had a full page add claiming, "If you want clear pictures
you don't want a Canon or Nikon." They also claim that only 20% of Canon
and Nikon lenses have IS/VR. They also claim that the Sony A100 is the
only
camera to give clear sharp images with all their lenses since it has IS/VR
in the body. After seeing this add it put the fear of god into me
thinking
that it's time to start dumping all my Nikon and Canon crap and buy a Sony
A100. I know the A100 isn't really going to give Canon or Nikon any
competition, but it was funny seeing this full page add.

Actually saw the same Sony ad. It sorta pushes reality, a little.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 28th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Skip wrote:

The Times today had a full page add claiming, "If you want clear
pictures you don't want a Canon or Nikon." They also claim that
only 20% of Canon and Nikon lenses have IS/VR. They also claim that
the Sony A100 is the only
camera to give clear sharp images with all their lenses since it has
IS/VR in the body. After seeing this add it put the fear of god
into me thinking
that it's time to start dumping all my Nikon and Canon crap and buy
a Sony A100. I know the A100 isn't really going to give Canon or
Nikon any competition, but it was funny seeing this full page add.

Actually saw the same Sony ad. It sorta pushes reality, a little.

You're not kidding! What a waste of ink, though funny. I'm sure the
marketing department heads and Canon and Nikon pinned this ad to their wall
for a daily laugh.

Rita

Alongside of a sales chart, I would expect.
Old December 29th 06, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Graham Fountain

Ron Hunter wrote:

You're not kidding! What a waste of ink, though funny. I'm sure the
marketing department heads and Canon and Nikon pinned this ad to their
wall
for a daily laugh.

Alongside of a sales chart, I would expect.

Which would of course show a slump in percentage market share (maybe not
a slump in units).
Not sure about the rest of the world, but in Australia, based on some
figures I saw recently, the A100 outsold the 400D in November. The K100D
figured reasonably well, while the Nikons, and Olympus SLRs barely
even registered. Now, Australia has recently had some unique challenges
in this space - Canon have not been able to maintain decent stock of the
400D, and a change in Nikon distribution has led to them being pretty
much unavailable. But even still, a player who didn't even exist in the
SLR market 12 months ago, has now had a month at #1, and since the
launch of the A100 have been a fairly solid #2. I'd be curious to see
how they are going on the worldwide stage.
My contacts at Tamron and Sigma have also indicated that Sony/Minolta
mount lenses are now outselling Nikon and Canon. Seems to me that Sony
are making quite a dent into Canon's market share.
Old December 29th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Graham Fountain wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

[...]

As a reality check you can get a good feel for how a camera is doing in
terms of sales by looking at how many people are using it on pbase.com.
This is not perfect, but over all the more people who own a given
camera the more people will be using it on pbase. The A-100 has been
out for something like 2 ½ months longer then the 400D, and yet there
are close to 3 times as many people using the 400D. And of course a
lot of people are also buying the 30D and 5D, whereas Sony only have
the A-100 in its DSLR line up.

It will take time to tell if Sony has any real staying power in this
market but currently it would appear their sales are a fraction of
Canons. I think Canon is likely to be much more worried about Nikon
then Sony.

Scott

Old December 29th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 29 Dec 2006 03:32:28 -0800, Scott W wrote:

As a reality check you can get a good feel for how a camera is doing in
terms of sales by looking at how many people are using it on pbase.com.
This is not perfect, but over all the more people who own a given
camera the more people will be using it on pbase. The A-100 has been
out for something like 2 ½ months longer then the 400D, and yet there
are close to 3 times as many people using the 400D. And of course a
lot of people are also buying the 30D and 5D, whereas Sony only have
the A-100 in its DSLR line up.

It's far from a perfect reality check for several reasons. It
would be extremely surprising if the 400D didn't sell in far greater
numbers than the A100 because a big segment of DSLR buyers are those
that have waited to upgrade their old model, and will naturally go
for another of the same brand to take advantage of their old lenses,
etc. I don't know how you'd find out how many 400D and A100
purchases were the first DSLRs for their owners, but that would give
a better indication of how the A100 is selling. Similarly, the
number of DSLR owners already using pbase almost by definition has
to be far higher for Canon owners, so a good number of new 400D
owners were already using pbase, and the same can't be said for A100
owners. There may be some muddying of the waters due to the number
of 400D and A100 who previously never owned a DSLR but may have
owned P&S cameras from the same manufacturers.

Old December 29th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Scott W wrote:
Graham Fountain wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

[...]

Oh? So most of the people on Pbase use Kodak, right? Grin.
Myth BUSTED.