Sony A100 flash mount

Old December 27th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeffrey

Default Sony A100 flash mount

I'm looking at buying a used flash for my Sony A100 DSLR. Do flashes
with the Minolta I, XI, or SJ-series mount work with the Sony?

Thanks.

Old December 28th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeffrey

I asked a local camera shop, which said that the Sony A100 should work
with Minolta I mount flashes. But, he said that film camera flashes
will not meter correctly on digital cameras. Is this true? He did not
have an older Minolta flash to test with, though.

Old December 28th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

"jeffrey" wrote:

I asked a local camera shop, which said that the Sony A100 should work
with Minolta I mount flashes. But, he said that film camera flashes
will not meter correctly on digital cameras. Is this true? He did not
have an older Minolta flash to test with, though.

My Konica Minolta DiMage Z5 is a digital EVF Superzoom camera that works
with all the Minolta Maxxum Flashes and with 3rd party versions of the
Maxxum Flashes. The only thing these older flashes don't have is the
wireless feature found on newer flashes. The Z5 has a wimpy flash, but
the Sunpak PZ40X-MX works great and has an automatic flash zooming
feature that is super for this camera.

At the porters.com website, it states the Sunpak PZ40XII flash is good
for Maxxum and Alpha digital and 35 mm cameras. It supports ADI
(Minolta and Sony). So apparently the Alpha supports the Minolta ADI
flash system.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain the difference between my
flash and the II version. I know the II is 50% more expensive, but that
is the only difference I can find. Maybe they sold me a II at the old
price.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old December 28th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

In article om,
"jeffrey" wrote:

I'm looking at buying a used flash for my Sony A100 DSLR. Do flashes
with the Minolta I, XI, or SJ-series mount work with the Sony?

Jeffrey-

My old Minolta "xi" flash was purchased with a 9xi film body many years
ago. I was quite disappointed to find that it did NOT work in TTL mode
with my Sony Alpha 100. A flash with the newer version of TTL exposure
control is required unless you want to use it in manual mode only.

I purchased a Minolta "5600HS (D)" flash at a local camera shop, that was
reported to work with the last generation of film bodies as well as the
Konica Minolta 7D and 5D bodies. Its TTL exposure control works perfectly
with the Sony. Apparently the Sony flash is just a rebranded version of
this same unit.

Fred
Old December 29th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeffrey

Do you have suggestions for a cheap TTL flash I can buy for my camera?
I don't want to spend more than $100.

Old December 29th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

"jeffrey" wrote:

Do you have suggestions for a cheap TTL flash I can buy for my camera?
I don't want to spend more than $100.

Try the Sunpak PZ40X-MX. It is a super flash. I love mine. If you can
find one before the II model, it will be around $100.