What photos do you most like taking with a digital SLR camera?

Old September 2nd 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank

Default What photos do you most like taking with a digital SLR camera?

As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with digital SLR cameras,
that'd be helpful as well.

Old September 2nd 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Frank" wrote in message
ps.com...
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with digital SLR cameras,
that'd be helpful as well.

For me...
Handling: pushing buttons to zoom, focus, Av, Tv just ain't as fun. And
there's that wonderful optical viewfinder too!
Landscape: I like the smooth unprocessed look DSLRs can give.
Wildlife: Many long telephoto lenses available. Best in High ISO
performance.
Copywork: Image quality and low distortion lenses.
Astronomy: Try this with a point and shoot...
http://home.att.net/~jriegle/moon.jpg
(Canon 300mm f/4L IS + 2x converter)
John

Old September 2nd 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

You are the one looking for a camera, for advise on what to buy what do
you want to photograph.

Old September 2nd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
plb49

I find the ability to take several hundred photos of a sporting event,
rather than several dozen, greatly improves the quality of the ones I
display!

I am pleased, for example, with this and others in the same set:

http://scienceteacher.biz/March30Games/IMG_1212.html

Paul B.

Old September 2nd 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Frank" wrote in message
ps.com...
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with digital SLR cameras,
that'd be helpful as well.

All digital provides is merely another way to store an image. Thus, I use
my digital camera for all types of images.

A digital camera is quite handy at times because it gives instant feedback.
I would venture to say that I learned more about my cameras in the first
month or so that I did with my film cameras in a year or so.

Other than instant feedback, good exposure is still good exposure, and good
composition is still good composition.

Jim

Old September 2nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

plb49 wrote:
I find the ability to take several hundred photos of a sporting event,
rather than several dozen, greatly improves the quality of the ones I
display!

I am pleased, for example, with this and others in the same set:

http://scienceteacher.biz/March30Games/IMG_1212.html

No fair! You posted good shots of the world's greatest game....girls'
lax is harder for me to shoot than it looks.

--
John McWilliams
Old September 2nd 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2 Sep 2006 04:05:02 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with digital SLR cameras,
that'd be helpful as well.

I hate to sound "retro" but
I like the form/fit/functions/attachments
of the classic film SLRs.

All that "digital" really should add is;
Huge/cheap photo media, and
instant "developing" on a PC.

Anything beyond that is "bells and whistles"

rj
Old September 2nd 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
plb49

John McWilliams wrote:
plb49 wrote:
I find the ability to take several hundred photos of a sporting event,
rather than several dozen, greatly improves the quality of the ones I
display!

I am pleased, for example, with this and others in the same set:

http://scienceteacher.biz/March30Games/IMG_1212.html

No fair! You posted good shots of the world's greatest game....girls'
lax is harder for me to shoot than it looks.

--
John McWilliams

LAX is indeed a tough game to shoot! That amplifies the digital
advantage (hundreds of shots). I find the girls' game easier by a tiny
margin because the ball is bright yellow!

Paul B.

Old September 2nd 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

plb49 wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
plb49 wrote:
I find the ability to take several hundred photos of a sporting event,
rather than several dozen, greatly improves the quality of the ones I
display!

I am pleased, for example, with this and others in the same set:

http://scienceteacher.biz/March30Games/IMG_1212.html

No fair! You posted good shots of the world's greatest game....girls'
lax is harder for me to shoot than it looks.

LAX is indeed a tough game to shoot! That amplifies the digital
advantage (hundreds of shots). I find the girls' game easier by a tiny
margin because the ball is bright yellow!

Yes, and the faces are a bit easier to see! I've shot about 20 times
more boys and men's games than girls/women's.

I started with a Canon G-3, and now I wonder how I ever got a single
passable image with that.

--
John McWilliams
Old September 2nd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

RJ wrote:
On 2 Sep 2006 04:05:02 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with digital SLR cameras,
that'd be helpful as well.

I hate to sound "retro" but
I like the form/fit/functions/attachments
of the classic film SLRs.

All that "digital" really should add is;
Huge/cheap photo media, and
instant "developing" on a PC.

Anything beyond that is "bells and whistles"

Well, no. The opportunity to review the histogram and image immediately
following a shot or a series is a huge advantage. And I am not talking
about chimping; merely responsible review......er, and changing ISO in
an instant, and.... there are a few lesser ones, but those two are
essential to me.

--
John McWilliams